Bull Dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

Col Reb

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am a small one-man hobby operation. My dilemma is that I had a bull (offspring of a Sitz Upward)that I was forced to sell due to a back leg injury. I bought another bull from the same friend. He is also out of the same sire but different dam (half-brother you might say). I kept 4 heifers out of the bull I sold. Would it be ok to use this new bull (the half-brother of the bull I sold) on those heifers or am I asking for trouble?
I can't afford a registered bull so I purchase my bulls from a friend with a commercial herd that has some good genetic history. I know epd's will not be exactly accurate but nicer animals than most around home. He has a yearling that he was going to take to the sale because he is a first timer out of a heifer with some good history (heifer from dam of Tour of Duty & sire from Tanner farms (unk sire/dam) but good numbers per my friend. He says that he does not think that he will grow off like he should since he's out of a first timer. Should I use what I have or buy the yearling out of the first timer? I know that a good bull is a great investment & the time is coming in the future when I can afford one. However, it's not here yet so I have to work with what I have.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Either scenario is OK.
Breeding your heifers to their sire's half-sib is not a problem, especially for a commercial producer - unless both were carriers of a known genetic defect. You'll get little black calves, and they won't know or care (and no one else will either) that their father is also their uncle.
If I liked the bull I had on hand, I'd continue to use him, unless there was something about the other one that made it worth selling this one in order to make room for him.

Some of my best heifers last year came from close matings. I'll have to wait another year to see how they really perform but things look good so far

Latest posts