Bull Calve

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Yesterday afternoon one of my cows (approx. 10 years old) calved right as we were walking by. She was standing and I saw a foot sticking out a few inches, she layed down and during the course of about 20 minutes pushed it out. It appears to be a bull but not 100% sure yet. I am trying to guess at the "birth weight" until my vet arrives tomorrow for shots. This is the best picture I have for now, what do you think?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/D ... C00758.jpg

Alright, newbee here, what is "fine boned"? The reason I am trying to determine the birth weight is to see if I should keep the bull. The bull is very tame and playfull.

Next time put us a reference in the picture. yardstick, foot ruler, etc. Fine, as in "Fine as Wine". ;-)

Damon K. Rapozo":qln7h0d5 said:
Alright, newbee here, what is "fine boned"? The reason I am trying to determine the birth weight is to see if I should keep the bull. The bull is very tame and playfull.

You will not know if he is a Herd Bull prospect for a couple of months, and in my book they are just a prospect until a year old. Doesn't take much in my pasture to tip the scales to hamburger. A bull calf should never be retained unless he meets all the requirements of your breed with a very critical eye. Remember everyone will view your operation and breed through the quality in your pasture.

Damon K. Rapozo":8uy9kj6c said:
If it is a bull, he will be converted to a steer and used for beef. This is a hobby for us, just having fun. Thanks for all the help.

I'll have to remember that term, "converted" when I'm around city folks. Sounds more gentlemanly than castrate. :lol:

My guess 70.5#. A good way to figure wieght is measure heart girth when they are standing is pretty darn close. You have to get a conversion chart or the formula to convert inches to pounds. MOST DIFFENTLY THE RIGHT COLOR!!!!!!!!!

great color will be as fast as my motorcycle. black is the fastest color. Between 60 and 65 lbs.

80. keep in mind i already admitted i suck at guesstimating weights.

Legacy Breeder,

The father (sire?) is red, the Cow (dam?) is black, guess the cow won :roll: We are happy either way.

The little calf walked right up to me this morning while its mom was eating (I was behind a big fence) and its a bull. The vet will be here today for shots, etc. and I will post his guess at the weight.

Thanks,

Damon K. Rapozo":9x3666wj said:
Legacy Breeder,

The father (sire?) is red, the Cow (dam?) is black, guess the cow won :roll: We are happy either way.

The little calf walked right up to me this morning while its mom was eating (I was behind a big fence) and its a bull. The vet will be here today for shots, etc. and I will post his guess at the weight.

Thanks,

Oh NO NO NO Damon! We don't want a "guess"! We've got too much money riding on his ACTUAL weight for guessing. ;-)
Glad you are happy. Shots at birth? All he might need is a "shot" of milk for right now.

Latest posts