bull broke his stinger.

Help Support CattleToday:

molassesman

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old brangus bull that seems to have aproblem with his stinger hanging on the ground, I have been laid up in the house the last 4 days with the gout in my knees, and a friend comes by tonight and tells me I have a bull walking around in a pasture with his stinger on the ground, I'll check it out in the morning, we usually just sell them for slaughter, but I thought maybe there is some kind treatment out there that someone knows about that would help. thank you for any help?

I'm assuming you mean that your bull broke his penis - if that is the case, no, there is no treatment that I know of other than a trip to town.

I have heard that some will heal, but leaving a lot of scar tissue. Personally I'd count my losses now and send him to hamburger heaven. Its better than thinking he is breeding and ending up with open cows. Even if he does heal and breed, you'll always be on tenderhooks waiting for the next time and then it might not be as easy to replace him.

Yep. Hamburger is the best bet. Had a good friend of mine had a really good bull that happened to last winter. He took it to the sale.

The dairy had a Angus bull that broke his. He left him running with the heifers and a Holstein bull until he needed to butcher it for meat. Apparantly it healed just fine because most of the heifers dropped little crossbred calves.

that bull is a cull now.sometimes they will heal up.an be able to retract it.but most times that doesnt happen.either way you have to get a new bull.

My dairy boss had one like that about 2 years ago... we gave him 60 days of rest, had him vet checked, and he went back to work without problems. Sold him about a year later due to temperment issues.

Ollie also had a bull that healed up fine when given time off. They aren't always culls just because they've been broke.

He may have been so busy that he just wore out........

Seriously, things can heal, so perhaps patience would be your best virtue here. It won't hurt to give him a little time off. Even if he does not heal good, perhaps he will look better at the stockyard.

id get him up and check him out.. it could be a swollen prepuce or some infection from a foreign object wouldnt be to quick to condemn him yet he might have stepped on the end getting up

OK everybody..........you've GOT to help me out here. BROKEN??????!!!!!! Can someone please explain how it gets BROKEN? Is it like a pulled muscle or something? where it won't retract? How embarrassing... but I had to ask. Thanks

Your best bet is probably to load him up and take him to the sale. If you're not sure, have a vet give you his opinion on his chances of recovery. A vet told me that putting him in a chute and running water from a hose on the hurt area for a few minutes a day can help.

Wisteria Farms":1pvn57vp said:
OK everybody..........you've GOT to help me out here. BROKEN??????!!!!!! Can someone please explain how it gets BROKEN? Is it like a pulled muscle or something? where it won't retract? How embarrassing... but I had to ask. Thanks
your right broken is where he cant retract it back up where it goes.it just hangs down an draggs the ground.

bigbull338":1l0p4sk6 said:
Wisteria Farms":1l0p4sk6 said:
your right broken is where he cant retract it back up where it goes.it just hangs down an draggs the ground.

Thank you.

bigbull338":3cdtjggp said:
Wisteria Farms":3cdtjggp said:

Not neccessarily... my boss's bull just had a large amount of swelling in the sheath area. Ollie had a really good pic of his broke bull that showed what broken looks like; maybe he'll post it. A bull's penis is made of cartilidge, so he's breeding a cow and gets jostled... it breaks. It can heal, same as a broken nose would heal, but I'm told that a lot of times, scar tissue forms on the inside of the sheath, preventing him from extending and being able to breed again.

milkmaid":18sfkswx said:
bigbull338":18sfkswx said:
Wisteria Farms":18sfkswx said:

Not neccessarily... my boss's bull just had a large amount of swelling in the sheath area. Ollie had a really good pic of his broke bull that showed what broken looks like; maybe he'll post it. A bull's penis is made of cartilidge, so he's breeding a cow and gets jostled... it breaks. It can heal, same as a broken nose would heal, but I'm told that a lot of times, scar tissue forms on the inside of the sheath, preventing him from extending and being able to breed again.

Very good explanation..Thanks

Check with your insurer. If the bull is insured the policy should include a broken "stinger".

Like MM said some have been known to heel.It happens sometimes with the AI bulls.They rest them for a few months(usually the price of the semen three folds) and then collect again.Most are never the same though.

Latest posts