Bucking Bull Breeds?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
I was reading over at pbrnow.com today and I noticed something strange. Most of the bulls used for PBR are breeds I have never seen or heard of before. One was called a Plummer. They also used 3 Brahman names. They used Brahman, Brahma, and Braymer. My guess is they are all the same, but why would the website call them 3 different names. Are there special breeds now that are used for bucking bulls?

I was a grown man before I found out that what we locally referred to as Bramers (pronounced with a hard "a", as in "Kramer") were also called Brahmans or various other versions of the name. I think all those similar names refer to the same basic breed. Although I guess it's technically incorrect, I think many people use the word Brahman when referring to "American Brahman" as well as Guzerat, Gyr (Gir), Indu-Brazil, Nelore, etc. (and all collectively referred to as Zebu, I believe)

Based on my observations, the PBR bulls ( or most any bucking bulls) will almost never be 8/8 ths Brahman, but are instead crosses with significant Brahman influence.

Unless I'm mistaken, Plummers are bred primarily for the rodeo industry and are 50/50 Brahman/Longhorn.

A plummer is named after Charlie Plummer. He raised bucking bulls for years and kinda came up with his own breed. They are most known for their white color with black spots. But not all are this color and not everything with this coloring is a plummer. Bucking stock is many different breeds mixed together. All usually with brahma influence. The 3 terms you are reffering to are for the same breed. Just different nicknames so to speak. Usually too much brahma and the bull won't turn and spin, it will just run. (I think) It's a science that hasn't been figured out yet.

Josh

I understood plummer to be longhornxbrahman. My dad raised them for a while and sold a couple to a rodeo contractor. I don't know what he was smokin when he had them. :lol: But he finally decided to sell them instead of putting up a deer fence.

Yup, the Plummer bulls initially all came from him. when he died off, stock contractors had to just buy them all up instead of letting them die off...they were all what we called "head hunters". Oh they bucked all right, but all of his bulls would get right into your pockets. Had a rodeo buddy that got an ivory enema from one of his bulls (that was before he and I went down the road together...I dang sure wouldn't have applied direct pressure to that wound to get him to a hospital).
Don't know what percentage of which cattle Charlie had in his bulls. Definitely some Brahma (braymer, bremmer, etc.) but they were all 100% mean :D

texhallMT":2m39qe9y said:
Yup, the Plummer bulls initially all came from him. when he died off, stock contractors had to just buy them all up instead of letting them die off...they were all what we called "head hunters". Oh they bucked all right, but all of his bulls would get right into your pockets. Had a rodeo buddy that got an ivory enema from one of his bulls (that was before he and I went down the road together...I dang sure wouldn't have applied direct pressure to that wound to get him to a hospital).
Don't know what percentage of which cattle Charlie had in his bulls. Definitely some Brahma (braymer, bremmer, etc.) but they were all 100% mean :D

but isn't that how they used to breed all of them before they started breeding for bucking ability? They just bred for bad attitude because that usually transfered to bucking ability?

Ten years ago or so, when Mesquite Rodeo came on Sunday's, I was glued to the TV. Donny Gay was the announcer then, and he did a good. My favorite bucking bull was Spotted Fever. He appeared to be a white and dark chestnut coloring. Seems his head was dark to about his shoulders and then he turned mostly white with spots. He was a real nice bull ( :shock: for suicidal people:shock: ) I don't think anyone could pay me to get on him and take a ride. It would give a whole new meaning to shiskabob. He had horns much like a Longhorn, but they were cut off on the ends. His body was heavier than a Longhorn, but he didn't have a hump that I can remember. He tried to tear up everything in the arena, slamming the barrels and the clowns.

My grandpa used to say that a "Bramer" is what comes through the local stockyards and brings 10 to 15 dollars a hundred less than the normal cattle, and a Brahman cost lots of money and has registration papers. :lol:

That line theory on how they make bulls buck is pretty much just a myth. I'm not saying it hasn't been done but the bulls are just bred buckers. In my opinion the bulls aren't near as mean as they use to be. They are just athletic machines. If you notice the bulls done really try to hurt anyone much. They are just getting them off their backs. There are also plummer cows. Plummer cows are what you see so much of now. If you guys want to know about this go to:

http://www.thebreedersconnection.com

There are several big time(pbr) breeders on that message board. The bucking bull business has really gotten like horse racing in my opinion. Just not on the same money scale right now. I've been looking into it alot and I'm going to sell about 10 of my beef cows for bred-to-buck cows.

Josh

I'm down in Homestead with my son right now for Bull riding clinic. Lyle Sankey Rodeo school to be more specific. Talk about some real junk cattle. But they look plenty mean and probably impress the crowd. They even have a ragged looking Watusi in the chute. Seems like horns are almost a prerequisite these days for crowd pleasers. But the hardest bucker of all is a 2 1/2 year old Brangus polled.

Latest posts