Breeding Shorthorns for BEEF.

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes impressive but in keeping with the ? posted by M.Sarria I would not recomend going after extrems. Rather picking a bull with a proven track record of producing calves with acceptable BWs and well above average YWs. Aiming for a kill date of 12 months or so not 2-3 yrs.

S.R.R.":e33rbdyc said:
Yes impressive but in keeping with the ? posted by M.Sarria I would not recomend going after extrems. Rather picking a bull with a proven track record of producing calves with acceptable BWs and well above average YWs. Aiming for a kill date of 12 months or so not 2-3 yrs.

My calves finish in 12-16 months. That's not the problem.

All the waste fat and lack of muscle from the Brits is the problem. :lol:

Well I bout the steer at 2 years old and feed him for a year he was about 1,700 lbs at butcher time. Do you all think he was to old, is that why it didnt taste as good.

Let me ask this dum question! If you toke a cut of meat from a blackangus, hereferd,shorthern and so on and they were all feed the some would there be a diffance in taste.

M.Sarria":3vhm16su said:
Well I bout the steer at 2 years old and feed him for a year he was about 1,700 lbs at butcher time. Do you all think he was to old, is that why it didnt taste as good.

Let me ask this dum question! If you toke a cut of meat from a blackangus, hereferd,shorthern and so on and they were all feed the some would there be a diffance in taste.

Yes there is a good chance that you just don't like the taste of older beef. As for the cuts of beef ? well of course they would taste different!!! ;-) ;-)

MikeC":1nm7ajhb said:
S.R.R.":1nm7ajhb said:

Like I said in the first place.

"Only if you are finishing on grain!!"

S.R.R.":izb0o871 said:
MikeC":izb0o871 said:
S.R.R.":izb0o871 said:

Like I said in the first place.

"Only if you are finishing on grain!!"
[quote

Man thank you all I get it now alot better. It all make scense 12 t0 18 month for better tasting beef. Thanks for your patence with the new COWHANDS that are green like me.[/quote]

All thiss 12 -18 month stuff is for folks that don;t really like the full flavor of beef. I prefer the older stuff, a couple of years at least, but I can;t chew it and my wife says it tastes too strong. I've tried to splane to her that beef tastes like that but it's a lost cause

dun

dun":1cl1heex said:
All thiss 12 -18 month stuff is for folks that don;t really like the full flavor of beef. I prefer the older stuff, a couple of years at least, but I can;t chew it and my wife says it tastes too strong. I've tried to splane to her that beef tastes like that but it's a lost cause

dun

ya my wife did not like the flavor of or 3 year old steer I thouth it was the breed but there is alot more to it like what you feed befor butchering. She like the flavor of the beef taste at the Resturant BACKANGUS what beef do they buy??

Latest posts