Breeding Cow after Uterin Torsion

Help Support CattleToday:

rox5488

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a heifer this year that had developed a Uterine Torsion prior to calving. Never had seen or been around this issue prior.

The calf did not make it although the cow is and had done basically fine with the execption of a little swelling afterwards.

My question is, should I breed this cow again?

Has anyone had much success with them?

Thank you
mark

the only one i ever had was an old cow and she never would breed back. we saved the calf only by a miracle, she had been in labor for over 24 hours. the cow got infection and was sick for a few days but got over it and came in heat but wouldn't stick.

If she rebreeds and is worth hanging on to open for a year I don't see why not. I have not heard of repeat offenders with torsions, but many get sold afterward as they are open or they have breeding difficulties (many times the cervix is damaged during delivery as they tend not to dialate completely when twisted).

redcows

are you saying I should not try to breed her back for a year afterward?

This occured in Early April and I was planning to try again this month (3 to 3.5 months out)

She is cycling again...

Thank you again for any suggestions.

rox5488":3u4hoshj said:
redcows

This occured in Early April and I was planning to try again this month (3 to 3.5 months out)

She is cycling again...

What I am saying is since she didn't raise a calf this year so she is costing you money, many times no calf = ship. If you are keeping her by all means get her bred I'm just saying she may have fertility issues from cervical/uterine injury.

Valerie, be very happy you don't know what a torsion is, it is no fun. What happens is the uterus twists on itself at the level of the cervix which is the only tightly fixed point (think a full garbage bag, grab it at the top and twist it). Most occur on the vaginal side of the cervix, a vaginal exam will feel like the vagina suddenly gets smaller and falls off to the right or left and down. Usually the cow will have labor symptoms but gets nowhere. Precervical torsions are worse, many times the cow shows no labor but gradually gets sicker and sicker. Some can be corrected vaginally if they aren't too tight, otherwise you need to roll the cow over to untwist (some people will put a board over the belly to keep the calf from moving with her, usually not necessary) or untwist it at c-section. Many times those that get unrolled the cervix never completely dilates so you end up stretching and possibly tearing it or c-section.

redcowsrule33":1ozacwl8 said:
rox5488":1ozacwl8 said:
redcows

She is cycling again...

What I am saying is since she didn't raise a calf this year so she is costing you money, many times no calf = ship. If you are keeping her by all means get her bred I'm just saying she may have fertility issues from cervical/uterine injury.

Valerie, be very happy you don't know what a torsion is, it is no fun. What happens is the uterus twists on itself at the level of the cervix which is the only tightly fixed point (think a full garbage bag, grab it at the top and twist it). Most occur on the vaginal side of the cervix, a vaginal exam will feel like the vagina suddenly gets smaller and falls off to the right or left and down. Usually the cow will have labor symptoms but gets nowhere. Precervical torsions are worse, many times the cow shows no labor but gradually gets sicker and sicker. Some can be corrected vaginally if they aren't too tight, otherwise you need to roll the cow over to untwist (some people will put a board over the belly to keep the calf from moving with her, usually not necessary) or untwist it at c-section. Many times those that get unrolled the cervix never completely dilates so you end up stretching and possibly tearing it or c-section.

Thanks for the explanation. Hope I never do see it!
Valerie

Hi redcows

Thanks very much for the reply! She will go in with her boyfriend tomorrow.
we did pull the calf, vet felt she was dialated enough and since she will be another year older this year her hips should be a little wider also
Again I appreciate your help and info and am hoping for a better result next year and no torsion!

Thanks
mark

Latest posts