Breeding Black Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Why should I not breed a Hereford back to my Hereford+angus
Heifers? I understand there is less if not little chance for them
to be black calves but are there other issues or concerns? Thanks
in advance.

Don't know about there. But,around here if the black baldie calves start getting to much white on them ,the price per lb. will drop slightly. The buyers seem to like black bodys and white or Mottled faced calves without all the white on the under belly etc. JM :2cents:

I wouldn't because you will lose hybred vigor. I always try to stay away from losing that. Worst cows I own are 3/4 bloods. Don't matter the breed. Best cow I got is a Simmental x Herf Angus. That's the way I'd breed them if you are wanting to keep back heifers from your F1's. If you are not Charolais all the way. If you use a homo black bull you won't have to worry about red calves if that is a concern and there are Simmental bulls you can take white off or add it. You got a 50-50 shot using a red bull on them F1's for a red calf...........I wouldn't use Hereford on them but that's just me.

Till-Hill":cxz6vzha said:
I wouldn't because you will lose hybred vigor. I always try to stay away from losing that. Worst cows I own are 3/4 bloods. Don't matter the breed. Best cow I got is a Simmental x Herf Angus. That's the way I'd breed them if you are wanting to keep back heifers from your F1's. If you are not Charolais all the way. If you use a homo black bull you won't have to worry about red calves if that is a concern and there are Simmental bulls you can take white off or add it. You got a 50-50 shot using a red bull on them F1's for a red calf...........I wouldn't use Hereford on them but that's just me.
GOOD ANSWER!! :banana: :banana: would you expect me to say anything different!!!

Kingfisher":yi2ibqza said:
Why should I not breed a Hereford back to my Hereford+angus
Heifers? I understand there is less if not little chance for them
to be black calves but are there other issues or concerns? Thanks
in advance.

I hope this is not viewed a a high-jacking, but I would like to turn the question upside down. What about breeding the Black Baldy (H/A) heifers to a black Angus bull? Are there downside to that?

Latest posts