Braunvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

is this what i can expect crossing a (homo black) angus on a typical braunvieh?

will they all have the white rings around their nose?

BlkSteer.jpg

Aero":3dzr2c8i said:
is this what i can expect crossing a (homo black) angus on a typical braunvieh?

will they all have the white rings around their nose?

BlkSteer.jpg

Usually have the white, really kind of grey markings. That's one of the reasons they generally take a dock at the sale barn. The local Braunvieh breeders now send all of their calves to be either finished and retain ownership or ship them to a guy, I think in IA that specilizes in marketing them.

dun

I don't know.. might make sense to retain ownership if your cattle will preform well for you. So much is just familiarity with a type of cattle. If something looks different than everything else people get a little sketchy sometimes.... Can't say I blame them really. Good chance to feed them and get some carcass data for yourselves and see how you are doing... Of course, if you are going to do the old sell at weaning than you better use what the local market likes or you are just taking food off of your table.

Aero-

usually crossing a typical braunvieh with an angus sire will produce a jet black or black/chocolate colored calf. out of 400 or so head of calves raised over the past 5 years we have only had a couple of 1/2 blood calves with the white muzzle. same results on braunvieh bull x angus cow. if i can round up a couple of good pictures i will post them.

ROB

ROB":2zopqycd said:
Aero-

usually crossing a typical braunvieh with an angus sire will produce a jet black or black/chocolate colored calf. out of 400 or so head of calves raised over the past 5 years we have only had a couple of 1/2 blood calves with the white muzzle. same results on braunvieh bull x angus cow. if i can round up a couple of good pictures i will post them.

ROB
Please do

ROB":3s204xl0 said:
Aero-

ROB

that was not the answer i was hoping for, but i am glad somebody knows the answer. thank you.

Aubracusa":3azcm1l2 said:
Braunviehs took the industry by storm a decade or so ago, when many of their bloodlines showed promise for superior carcass traits. I can remember seeing carcass data on a lot of Braunvieh steers that graded Prime, Yield Grade 1s and 2s. I think the breed has been hindered somewhat by politics within the breed and its association. I believe there may be two Braunvieh associations today, so it's pretty hard to expand market share when you've got squabbling for control to the degree that they've had. The cattle definitely have a place, however, especially if they can perpetuate those really great carcass genetics.

Aubracusa
http://www.aubracusa.com
The Braunvieh breed has had only one breed association for at least five years. Like any newer entity there are going to be growing pains. What is more important to remember is the balanced traits the breed offers the industry.

Our Braunvieh cross calves did not have the white muzzle. With our angus they were solid black and we have one now out of our maine bull and she has white stockings and white on her tail but not the muzzle.

i was hoping for easy identification, instead of having to pay for some of them to be DNA'd.

If you're not getting the ring, could it be the difference between Fullblood and Purebred? Just wondering.

Roadapple":2ac5dwxs said:
Biggest problem I've found with Braunvieh is, they'll breed at 4 mos. Had a heifer last yr. give birth at less than 13 mos. to 70 lb. heifer, unassisted. This yr. I lutalysed all heifers at weaning and found 2 little buggers few days later laying on ground. Other than that I've not had 1 problem with them. Used Angus on half my herd, for 2 yrs. and Braun on other half, and this yr all Braun, cause there is no comparison as far as I'm concerned. Plus I got a dime over market for them, and that's no Bs.

Hey this is not a problem if you pull your bull out. You just have to be a responsible and very attentive breeder. This is in fact their greatest attribute to use for recip cows. And also this is a non arguable fact BRAUNVIEH ARE NOT BROWN SWISS THEY ARE A TOTALLY SEPARATE BREED NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS. I dont know where some people got their info but if you really want more info contact mark nelson. He can really get you hooked up and is the nicest guy ever.

I start calving in April, put the bull in 1st of July. Are you saying I should pull the bull out after 1 month?

no thats not what i mean...but if your so unsatisfied heres a suggestion...contact the association they have several tips you might find useful and hopefully it can help your situation.

Not really unsatisfied, but I would like to grow them a bit before they breed. Perhaps you could share some tips for some of us that could rectify this small problem. Only thing I can come up with is a plug or diaper or I could sit out there 24 hrs. a day and shoo that bad boy away from them little girls. :D

I bow out gracefully if you want to make it a fight I was just expressing an opinion and as the board members say we are all aloud to do it. Good luck with your operation...no hard feelings.

Latest posts