Aubrac or braunvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
Pros and cons between braunvieh and aubracs? Anyone compared or had both breeds.

While Braunvieh's are good cattle and more well known of the two, I believe Aubracs are better muscling, thicker, easier calving, more thrifty, have a more moderate frame score, and hardier. Braunvieh's are typically larger (frame) and mature later than Aubracs. Both milk well. Aubracs are typically more efficient at feed conversion (to milk and muscle). The Braunvieh breed association appears to be more organized and more people breed them.

While I see that Braunvieh's have scored well in various carcass tests, I have no experience with actually eating fullblood Braunvieh beef. I can tell you is we're pre-sold out of our production for the next two years already -- fullblood Aubrac beef is good eatin'.

I can't speak about their temperament, but I can say that Aubrac breeders have (and continue to) cull any attitude problem. As a result, the temperament of the Aubracs are, generally, quite good. We can pet our bull and he won't even look up from grazing.

Like comparing any two breeds, the best cattle in either breed are going to be exceptional cattle, period. The worst cattle in either breed should have been slaughtered last week. So, no matter which breed you go with, look for exceptional animals to use in your breeding program.

Good luck, and LMK if you have any questions about Aubracs. I'm happy to help as I might.

A couple of years ago while bringing home some older bred fullblood Aubrac cows, I had a great time arguing with a good ol' boy at a gas station in some small town in Iowa about the breed of cattle in my trailer. I told him I had Aubracs. He told me I had short, fat Braunvieh. I told him I didn't. He said I did. We went back and forth for a while like that, and then when I went in to pay, I heard him tell everyone else filling up that I didn't know what sort of cattle I was hauling and they were short, fat, Braunvieh. It gave me a good chuckle.

What is average weight of your cows? What is weight of your bull? Do you have any pics?

trin":3m9ie2pu said:
What is average weight of your cows? What is weight of your bull? Do you have any pics?
If you post some pics walnut id like to see the two we talked about :)

trin":zr7nhqh7 said:

Cows = 1200 average; range of 1050-1350 on frames of 3.5 to 5.0 (est)

Zach the bull -- coming 4yrs old -- honest 4.0 frame score and a shade over 2000 lbs -- he's going in to get collected starting next week
MMR_Zach_-_014_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

MMR_Zach_-_015_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

MMR_Zach_-_016_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

MMR_Zach_-_017_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

MMR_Zach_-_018_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

MMR_Zach_-_019_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

A few of his 2015-born calves:
MMR_Zach_calves_small_.jpg

Upra (oldest cow in the herd and embryo donor; maternal great-grand dam to Zach the bull)
Upra_-_02_-_2013_07_04.jpg

Xenia (best younger cow in the herd and embryo donor, nursing her 2015 heifer (Cosette) at a couple hours old)
WCCC_Cosette_w_Xenia_-_2015_04_04_smaller_.jpg

ez14":3jmgp5uv said:
trin":3jmgp5uv said:
If you post some pics walnut id like to see the two we talked about :)

The heifer calf with Xenia (above) is one of the two. Her name is Cosette.

Here's Cosette at 2.5 weeks:
WCCC_Cosette_-_2014_04_21_small_.jpg

And again at about 5 mo of age last fall.
WCCC_Cosette_-_010_-_2015_10_01.jpg

WCCC_Cosette_-_011_-_2015_10_01.jpg

Walnut, on your embryo donor cows, how many eggs do you average per flush? How many times will you flush them? And what do you do with them after you have flushed them several times? I know next to nothing about it, but it interests me. After flushing a few times, are the donor cows 'used up' or will they continue to produce calfs for you each year. Thanks for your insight in advance.

Dogs and Cows":1qzk3nlk said:
Walnut...are your cattle grass finished or do you grain them prior to butcher? Beautiful animals.

Thanks,

Tim

We put 2-3lbs of grain per day to our recips only (starting about two months prior to embryos going in and then through first month or two of the first trimester) as they can't do what our midwestern adapted Aubracs can do as far as maintaining condition.

As a routine matter, our Aubracs do not get grain at any point -- for full disclosure, while Zach was purchased from a retiring breeder last November where he was given 2-3lbs of pelletized grain per day; he's hasn't received any since arriving here in the first week of December 2015.

As it regards proximity to MI, there is a good sized herd in SW Minnesota ... a couple of animals in central Illinois (including a very nice coming yearly bull of my breeding) ... a very superior bull in eastern SD ... and then me in NE Kansas. The 1st and 3rd largest herds are in MT. The 2nd largest is in SW MN and the 4th largest is 6hrs north of the Canadian border in Saskatchewan. I believe I'm the 5th largest.

WalnutCrest":tbnl3qir said:
As it regards proximity to MI, there is a good sized herd in SW Minnesota ... a couple of animals in central Illinois (including a very nice coming yearly bull of my breeding) ... a very superior bull in eastern SD ... and then me in NE Kansas. The 1st and 3rd largest herds are in MT. The 2nd largest is in SW MN and the 4th largest is 6hrs north of the Canadian border in Saskatchewan. I believe I'm the 5th largest.
thanks walnut do they have websites i can look up

ez14":1pnjo1ya said:
What about any breeders near MI
I am in East-central Illinois and likely the closest one to you with Aubracs. I dont have many though, 5 cows/heifers and 1 bull. The bull is special though; I bought him as a full-blood embryo calf from Walnut Crest. He is just now a year old. His sire is still in France and as I understand it, his mother came from France as an embryo. Here he is at 2 months old with his recip mother last year.