Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

I like braunvieh cattle and REALLY like the crosses
BUT i only use my braunvieh cows with my angus bulls for hybrid vigor and replacement heifers i also AI our angus cows to braunvieh and a few of our best hereford cows for replacements to avoid the off colored calves as much as we can

As for calving issues go we have had no more then we do with Angus or Hereford. You might have to watch it a little more but there some really good calving ease bulls
Agree 100%. Braunvieh would be to raise purebred or make Great replacements.
Steers get what you get

Please Note on Dockage.

Braunvieh and crosses do not get generally get docked for being that breed.
The "nose ring" is very common in jersey and one of the 7 longhorn families look almost identical even in crosses/composites.
The "dual purpose" braunvieh bloodlines cross very well and make good cows but good bags largely (Hereford crosses have Huge bags and cull much earlier {note I know nothing about Hereford bloodlines}

EPD meaning nothing to me personally as I do not raise purebred
any breed what 'a' and 'b' will do to make 'c' I trial and error make the best possible cattle for my area/likes and marketability.

That being said replacement herd is certainly separate from main herd.
You raise what you like 99% of other peoples are not exactly what you are like and not yours so you don't know exact history

No 'heterozygous red gene'... they carry the 'wild color' gene, which, when combined with 'red', will give you brindles.
I posted some photos of halfblood Braunvieh heifers and wet 2-yr olds we bred, by fullblood Braunvieh sires, out of 3/4AN-1/4SM cows, some of which were hetero black/red-carriers, in this thread, a while back: