Braunvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

Since we are discussing off colored cattle, what marketing plans have been developed for your calves.

I market beef from split sides to whole beefs for individual sale. Also, I have set up retail sales with private label, USDA inspected beef for the sale of packaged cuts. Individual sales has been steadily growing and have recently picked up two restaurants for packaged cuts.

ROB

I guess off-colored cattle could be considered region specific. My area prefers black hided cattle. Other areas may be different. I don't want to limit the discussion, I am just interested in others' marketing strategies.

ROB

Aubracusa":1mo5ihg3 said:
Hi, Cowboyup --

I looked on the Braunvieh website, did a word search, but wasn't able to locate the reference to Aubracs.

True, Aubracs and Braunvieh share a similar genetic heritage (as do many European cattle), but if you compared them side by side today, you would see some pretty distinct differences. They also come from entirely different areas of Europe.

Gary Volk is a good friend of mine, and he's raised both Braunvieh and Aubracs. He had a good Braunvieh bull around for three or four years and used him extensively. The breed's carcass characteristics were interested him the most.

He has small number of Aubracs, but loves his Salers cattle more. Both breeds work perfectly for his mountainous terrain (elevation 7500 to about 10,000 feet). He's been a leader in the Salers business since the early 1980s. I think he runs about 450 cows, which would make him one of the biggest breeders in North America.

Best,

Aubracusa
http://www.aubracusa.com

Hello again Aubracusa!
Do you or the fellow with the cattle so high in the mountains ever have any trouble with Brisket Disease? I affects all breeds to some degree at altitude but it seems that Tarentaise are affected less than any breed. That comes from the fact that Tarentaise originated at higher elevation than any other breed or at least any French breed. Salers are close but were still several feet below the Tarentaise. The ATA is trying to set up a study with, I believe CSU--don't quote me on that--to do a study on it to test the blood pressure at 6500' and above. It causes more losses in the west than anyother problem. It isn't contagious but it is hereditary.

Wow, Schnurrbart, it only took them 12 years to "try to set up" what I told them.

Badlands

Hi, Schnurrbart --

To my knowledge, Gary has never had any brisket problems with his Salers, Braunvieh or Aubracs. I will check with him this morning, but I'd put money on it that he's never had an animal get sick with it.

I run my cows at 7800 feet elevation, too, and have also leased ground from Gary and have never had any trouble either.

Most of our brisket problems are pretty much limited to Angus cattle (occasionally we see a Hereford cow have a problem), although the Angus breeders have made a lot of progress on this front during the last decade. Back 20 years or so ago, when the Angus breed really started to gain momentum, we saw a lot of deathloss up here as ranchers converted to Angus. Not so much anymore. Like you say, there are specific bloodlines that are more prone to trouble than others.

Interestingly, Gary and I both have used a lot of halfblood Angus cattle on both Aubracs and Salers, and not had any trouble with them at all.

My guess is that you'll find Tarentaise cattle to be well adapted to high elevations. I would be surprised if you had any trouble at all. I have five Tarentaise cows, and last summer they grazed up to as high as 9500 feet. They came home with some soggy, Aubrac-cross calves.

Tarentaise cows really get the job done.

Best,

aubracusa

Aubracusa":2rozfp9s said:
Hi, Schnurrbart --

To my knowledge, Gary has never had any brisket problems with his Salers, Braunvieh or Aubracs. I will check with him this morning, but I'd put money on it that he's never had an animal get sick with it.

I run my cows at 7800 feet elevation, too, and have also leased ground from Gary and have never had any trouble either.

Most of our brisket problems are pretty much limited to Angus cattle (occasionally we see a Hereford cow have a problem), although the Angus breeders have made a lot of progress on this front during the last decade. Back 20 years or so ago, when the Angus breed really started to gain momentum, we saw a lot of deathloss up here as ranchers converted to Angus. Not so much anymore. Like you say, there are specific bloodlines that are more prone to trouble than others.

Interestingly, Gary and I both have used a lot of halfblood Angus cattle on both Aubracs and Salers, and not had any trouble with them at all.

My guess is that you'll find Tarentaise cattle to be well adapted to high elevations. I would be surprised if you had any trouble at all. I have five Tarentaise cows, and last summer they grazed up to as high as 9500 feet. They came home with some soggy, Aubrac-cross calves.

Tarentaise cows really get the job done.

Best,

aubracusa

I had never heard of it until this past year when one of our past presidents of the ATA, who ranches in Plattville, said that he had been contacted about it. But with all the transition of moving HQ and setting up new programs, it has gotten pushed to the back. I don't have a problem in so. IL as it is around 500' here! Really like the looks of those Aubrac/Tarentaise calves!

Badlands":2xl63688 said:
I always got a kick out of Harlan Doeschot claims to be the first to introduce them into the USA in 1983. He is a good cattleman though, and better promoter.

My neighbor had them and was marketing locker beef from them when I was a kid in the 70's. He refered to them as Beef Brown Swiss because that is what they looked like colorwise and everyone thought "Braunvieh" was some sort of Brahman cross, so he didn't keep the original moniker.

Badlands
Most articles say he introdced them into the U.S., but recent article said he was 1st to import "directly" into states. Others came by way of Canada and Mex. K.H.C.-MOM, you are right on with your observations. Is that F007 in your avatar?

Badlands":1wxmcaxg said:
The ATA.

Badlands

Who did you tell in the ATA? Just curious. I had never heard of it before earlier in 06 and a CO member told us that he was approached by someone--don't remember who now--to try to do some research on it and he was going to supply some Tarentaise for it. I do know that the man running the ATA office 12 years ago didn't always do what was expected of him and has since been replaced by mutual agreement.

Yeah, I know.

He did just what he did for Gelbvieh.

Bankrupted them and left.

Jim Leachman told me he would, and he did.

Badlands

Badlands,

How long ago did this guy work for the Gelbvieh association?

Not exactly sure.

I think he was there right before Jim Gibb.

Maybe 15 years or so.

Badlands

Latest posts