Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Was just looking at the book but not going to be able to make it.
Going to try and make some hay this weekend.

What you looking for cow,heifer,bull,purebreed,halfbood?

Yes, lol. Really anything that is a quality animal has my interest, beside a bull at this time.

If you're a little unsure about braunvieh you could try a half-blood. That would show you how good of momma's the braunvieh are. Without having to worry about color as much.

Just got back with 4 braunvieh cattle, bred cow, bred heifer and 2 open heifers. Sell was interesting to say the least, prices didn't seem consistent at all.

For anyone that has looked at the sell list I bought lot 4, 42, and 50

Lot 4 sold as bred cow with wiened heifer calf included, seller didnt think they were going to sell this way and was not very happy.

Many animals with subpar epds outsold superior animals . 3 Heifers off of the same farm with almost identical # s were almost 1000$ apart with the best looking being the cheapest. Along with several other things that didn't add up to me. ( It seems most sales have been this way recently).

Sale was conducted well, getting them paid and vet papers from them was handled terrible. We were 3rd in line and it took over 20 mins just for us, I can't imagine how long the others waited.

I think most of the #s that didn't make since must have been frim people buying show cattle.

So you bought 4 and 4a as a pair that's good for you. With buying 2 pure bred and 2 half bloods you can kinda get an idea how they are. Im not real experienced at cattle sales and haven't figured them out. I wonder sometimes if there's just a lot of scratching each other's backs. That's goes for any cattle breed sales I go to.

You wouldn't happen to know what lots 12,13,22 brought?

I will have to look what they sold for.

That's what I though as well, should give me a good idea of how both will perform

I also agree on the "back scratching" I think this definitely happens.

Lot 3 went for 5400$
16 went 4000$
25 for 3300

Most of the cattle looked very good. There were a few that by looks and Epds should have been hamburger.

SoILcattle":1puc5k1l said:
3 Heifers off of the same farm with almost identical # s were almost 1000$ apart with the best looking being the cheapest. Along with several other things that didn't add up to me.
(It seems most sales have been this way recently).
Happens at every auction even on items as mundane as loads of straw and on loads of tested hay.
People sit on their hands waiting to see what prices will do today, or a couple of bidders spend their money early
and prices drop or too many wait for the good deal that doesn't come along and chase up prices as supply dwindles.

In hindsight Auctions always have something a bit strange occur.
Only after the sale can you really say good deal or I paid too much today....woulda, coulda, shoulda.

You will not out milk the females and they win every feed test at the major universities for most gain on least feed.
I have a small reg purebred herd of dozen cows they come homo black too just like Saler Gelbviegh and other breeds that weren't originally black but now are. The angus x Brv f1 are unbelievable momma cows for a large scale herd.

I looked into them for a customer a few months ago. My problem with them is that the buyers don't know what they are. You get some brindle coloring and stuff like that that isn't what people are used to seeing and the price drops fast. If you are thinking about retained ownership or something like that then they might be a really good choice as the carcass traits are great and they bring a lot of heterosis to the table but just for making calves to sell I'd stick with something a little more common to keep your price up.
Braunvieh cross better with Red bulls in my opinion. Limo red angus etc.
The saler influence is a thought may get a "dairy" ass instead of thicker

Latest posts