Braunvieh cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Would the color have any thing to do with it? It is hard to beleive that two breeds could look so much a like and not be pretty closely related.

It might but i got a show steer and braunviehs are good meat producers how good could he compete in shows

braunviehnation":10s6o40d said:
It might but i got a show steer and braunviehs are good meat producers how good could he compete in shows
I saw a braunvieh cross (slick sheared) win a county steer show a couple years ago. So it really depends on how good he turns out come show time.

the reason they mistake them is because they are basically the same breed just like milking shorthorns and beef shorthorns, how ever brownswiss are normally thick making them look beefier, but the odd time you get a fancy brown swiss but most are thick and over conditioned making them look like branvieuh

Actually Braunvieh and Brown Swiss are not related. Braunviehs have been genetically typed to be closer to Tarantaise, Charlois and I think Gelvieh.

People mistake them because of the coloring and because more people have heard of Brown Swiss than Braunvieh. My son has a Braunvieh cow that was his scramble heifer. He had people ask him what the Brahman was crossed with to get the Braunvieh breed :roll: They thought that his heifer was part Brahman because the breed name started with "Bra". :lol2:

yea well i plan on putting some pictures on tomorrow he came off a grand champion mom so hopely he does good i got him on showmaster grower right now

and also we got a director of a feed store to come down to look at my steer and said i wont do no good competing agaisnt balidies and angus and charlois i think i will what do yall think

chippie":29h7q8pr said:
Actually Braunvieh and Brown Swiss are not related. Braunviehs have been genetically typed to be closer to Tarantaise, Charlois and I think Gelvieh.

People mistake them because of the coloring and because more people have heard of Brown Swiss than Braunvieh. My son has a Braunvieh cow that was his scramble heifer. He had people ask him what the Brahman was crossed with to get the Braunvieh breed :roll: They thought that his heifer was part Brahman because the breed name started with "Bra". :lol2:

From http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/
Approximately 130 head of Braunvieh were imported into USA from Switzerland between 1869 and 1880. These animals formed the nucleus for the development of the American Brown Swiss.

yea but if braunviehs and even related to brown swiss people around here need to do some research about braunviehs because them and brown swiss have nothin in come Braunviehs are not dairy

Brown Swiss were derived from Braunviehs so it not a huge mistake, they do have the same markings. I just tell people Braunviehs are the european beef breed that americans converted into the dairy breed Brown Swiss in the 1800's.

They are becoming more well known. I think they breed association is doing some things that will increase their popularity in the next 5 years.

its nice to know the breed assoc is doing that i just have some things that hurt when people same its a dairy calf i am plannin showing in open braunvieh shows next year if my aunt will give some hiefers she raises braunviehs which is nt a popular breed in tx but i like the way people down them bc i think i can get out there and do good with him

I wouldn't let it bother you if people think he's a dairy animal. He's not and as he grows it will be very apparent that he's a beef animal and not a dairy. You'll just have to educate people who don't know.

I don't know how it will be showing him against the angus, char., etc calves. It will probably depend on the judge. I bet you run into some judges that won't recognize he's a purebred. But that won't mean he's not a good steer. You should be fine if the judge knows Braunviehs at all.

Where are you at in Texas? A few of the largest Braunvieh breeders are in Texas.

braunviehnation":25b7ztxv said:
Why do people mistake braunvieh for brown swiss? And mistake them as dairy cattle
Mostly because they are not familiar with either of the breeds.

Don't be too upset if people mistake braunvieh for brown swiss. Just about EVERYBODY mistakes our sheep for goats. Just be patient and educate people about the breed :D

Only reason for people to research a breed is if they see them and are interested. You should be glad people are paying attention to your calve. Gives you the chance to tell them about the breed.

yea true my bad i am starting to see that its just upseting but yea they are not a dairy cattle and every body sould know that

Latest posts