Brangus & Angus question

Help Support CattleToday:

ElginRinger

Reaction score
Hopefully, in the near future, I'm going to go in a different direction with my herd. I currently have a predominantly Hereford cow base, with a little beefmaster blood in them. They are being bred to a black angus bull. What I would like to do is to either buy polled hereford cows topped with Black Brangus bull or vice versa. I would retain the F1's produced by this cross until I got my herd to the numbers I want and then hopefully sell some females. My question is what the F1's should be bred to. I see a lot of people advertising bred baldies exposed to angus bulls. Is this done simply because of the low birth weights or is that a calf that will ring the bell at the sale? As always, thanks for your replies.

A Brangus X Hereford cross cow has lots of options when it comes to breeding them depending on what your intended use is. You can go back with Angus, Hereford or Shorthorn for good feeder calves, you can use a Continental bull like a Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh, etc for getting more weaning weight or put a Brangus (or other American breed ) back on for super replacement heifers. The possibilities are wide open.

You can also add a Fullblood Limousin to that continental bull list. Low birth weights polled or horned. Should make some good heavy muscled calves.

Latest posts