Brahman bull

Help Support CattleToday:

That would be the best cross on his cows he has now. Those black steers would bring a lot more. He might be looking for more ear on them though....the calves would be only 3/16ths Brahma.....about as much ear as an Ultrablack.
When i get to a point of raising only terminal brangus or super baldy is what i'd want to use. For now i want to get cows that are 1/4 brahman

Bahia and bermuda. I plant some pearl millet in the summer and chicory, clover and rye in the winter.
Don't know if that program is still running, but UGA, or may be the Cooperative Extension Service, was sowing people's pastures with this World Feeder Bermuda/ Alfalfa mix for FREE. Forgot what the strain of Alfalfa is called, but it was developed for warmer climates. This mix was developed for grazing vs hay. They may have been running this program out of ABAC, I don't remember. Are you close to Tifton?

When i get to a point of raising only terminal brangus or super baldy is what i'd want to use. For now i want to get cows that are 1/4 brahman
That would be what the calves you got using the Beefmaster bull would be....1/4th Brahma. Or like Caustic said, get some f1 Herf x Brahma or f1 Angus x Brahma, and breed them to Hereford or Angus bulls, depending on what the f1 cows were. J & L has been listing some black BM replacements heifers, at about $1400 each, but they are in Texas.

Don't know if that program is still running, but UGA, or may be the Cooperative Extension Service, was sowing people's pastures with this World Feeder Bermuda/ Alfalfa mix for FREE. Forgot what the strain of Alfalfa is called, but it was developed for warmer climates. This mix was developed for grazing vs hay. They may have been running this program out of ABAC, I don't remember. Are you close to Tifton?
I'm a couple of hours north of Tifton

I'd buy a brangus bull if I was in your shoes, and probably cull that British white. I'll keep my eyes open for one on the Bama side if you'd like. If you don't like brangus then I'd be on the lookout for another beefmaster or a braford bull in your area. It's easy to get lost in how available decent-ish brahma bulls are on the southern range, but tbh they just aren't the ticket for what you're doing unless you only want females and you're willing to take a beating on steer calves. And on that note, if you only have an interest in brahmas for female retention and you only have a few girls you want/need it done with them brahma bulls are cheaper by the straw than the pound.

I'd buy a brangus bull if I was in your shoes, and probably cull that British white. I'll keep my eyes open for one on the Bama side if you'd like. If you don't like brangus then I'd be on the lookout for another beefmaster or a braford bull in your area. It's easy to get lost in how available decent-ish brahma bulls are on the southern range, but tbh they just aren't the ticket for what you're doing unless you only want females and you're willing to take a beating on steer calves. And on that note, if you only have an interest in brahmas for female retention and you only have a few girls you want/need it done with them brahma bulls are cheaper by the straw than the pound.
My neighbor raises brafords

It wouldn't be my first round draft pick, but if he's got something of age worth talking about breeding, females you retain should get something like you want going. You won't have that shorthorn in the mix which you could take a cut on milk by lacking, but I met a guy who put brafords over his commercials for heifer retention and also over his cattle-today-fighting-words cows and his calves weren't anything I'd kick out of a pasture. I'm just saying, and if you had to only take one thing away from my ramblings I'd want it to be this: those decent-looking brahma bulls you see for a good price everywhere that have enough frame to carry a ton of bricks at 2 years old with no tests or record aren't something I'd throw on cows that don't have a proven 100% unassisted birth rate under range conditions with chunk throwing bulls.

Two hours north of Tifton is probably getting into a zone where 1/2 Brahma blood is not the best choice for most. That is probably not south Georgia unless one drives very slow.

Greenview Farms in Screven Georgia has a registered polled hereford herd, but also produces a lot of F1 Brahma/Herefords. He does it using polled hereford cows and Brahma bulls (using both gray and red Brahma bulls). A few years ago, I went with a guy to look at the F1 bulls. He purchased 2 of those F1 braford bulls and used them on mostly red simangus. Birth weights of his calves from those F1 bulls and simangus cows had a good bit of variation.

That would work to put a little ear on and stay away from black cattle. If you like his animals and the way he operates that's a good option. It's hard to beat some thing that close. I would put more emphasis on the operation and background of the cattle than the breed.

Pretty much any terminal bull will work good going back across that mix.

BM X cows also make some great mommas also.

Lots of options. That's why I say buy from a breeder you like and operates like you... not for a certain breed.

Two hours north of Tifton is probably getting into a zone where 1/2 Brahma blood is not the best choice for most. That is probably not south Georgia unless one drives very slow.

Greenview Farms in Screven Georgia has a registered polled hereford herd, but also produces a lot of F1 Brahma/Herefords. He does it using polled hereford cows and Brahma bulls (using both gray and red Brahma bulls). A few years ago, I went with a guy to look at the F1 bulls. He purchased 2 of those F1 braford bulls and used them on mostly red simangus. Birth weights of his calves from those F1 bulls and simangus cows had a good bit of variation.

Those are some good looking animals. This is the perfect animal for me and, IMO, for the south. You put an Angus, Angus +, or Brangus bull on them and the steers and heifers will be hard to beat at most sales.

Screenshot_20230509_160023_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

If you use a Braford, then the resulting cows won't be 1/4 Brahma. They would be 3/16ths. You could get f1 Br x Herf cows and breed them to a bull to get 1`/4th Brahmas. You wouldn;t want to use a cross bred, 50/50 bull of any kind. Potentially half of the calves would be half Brahma and the other half would be half whatever-breed the was in the cross-brd bull. Fastest way to get what you want is to do what you did in the past...breed your cows to a BM bull. You'd get the mix you want in that first breeding.

Last edited:
1/4 ear is the perfect mix for most scenarios, IMO. A terminal Angus, Char, Herf will knock the calf to 1/8 and will have little to no dock. Some scenarios right on the water may require 1/2 ear, or more if its truely swamp, and really good soil may let you run 1/8.

I have never understood the 3/8 on the composites. I'm sure there is good reason but it's much easier to get 1/4. There must be some thing to is as it seems to be the norm.

That would be around Macon, middle Georgia, but anywhere in north Ga, Brangus sell very well. The 3rd largest Brangus breeder in the world, Salacoa Valley Farms, has operated in north Ga, Fairmount, since the 80's until a few months ago. You are right about using an f1 bull of ANY 2 breeds.

I have never understood the 3/8 on the composites. I'm sure there is good reason but it's much easier to get 1/4. There must be some thing to is as it seems to be the norm.
It's the only way to get a new breed..a 5/8th by 3/8ths composite,. 5 and 3 can not be divided equally by 2. A purebred Braford bred to a purebred Braford will produce a pure bred Braford. Same with Brangus. An f2 3/4 Brahma 1/4 Herf, bred to an f2 3/4 Brahma 1/4 Herf could yield a Brahma calf, an f1 type Braford calf, or there is a 25% chance it will yield a Hereford calf.

Last edited:
That would be around Macon, middle Georgia, but anywhere in north Ga, Brangus sell very well. The 3rd largest Brangus breeder in the world, Salacoa Valley Farms, has operated in north Ga, Fairmount, since the 80's until a few months ago. You are right about using an f1 bull of ANY 2 breeds.
I'm about 45 minutes southwest of macon

Latest posts