Brahman bull x braford

Help Support CattleToday:

FamilyCattle

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if this mix will produce well or if should even do it
Brahman bull(red or white) to red braford(white face).
Future decision as my current Brangus bull is approaching retirement.

I'm in Myakka City, Fl which is east of bradenton. Was just looking around for bulls as mine will need to be replaced and someone came to me with offer for decent priced Brahman bull. What do you think would be a best/better bull for braford cows? We keep 1 steer for ourselves and usually sell rest to market by 6months to year old.

Trying to figure out if this mix will produce well or if should even do it
Brahman bull(red or white) to red braford(white face).
Future decision as my current Brangus bull is approaching retirement.
Where are you located? If you'd put that in your profile, people will be better able to help you. Breed that red & white Braford to your Brangus bull as long as you can.

I'm in Myakka City, Fl which is east of bradenton. Was just looking around for bulls as mine will need to be replaced and someone came to me with offer for decent priced Brahman bull. What do you think would be a best/better bull for braford cows? We keep 1 steer for ourselves and usually sell rest to market by 6months to year old.
1)Brangus, 2)Angus or 3)Black Simm

Are you breeding five cows or forty? Are you concerned with selling heifers as replacements, or just through the sale barn? You sell your steers at weaning... to a year? What do they weigh at weaning and how old? How heavy at a year? Are you looking to get better weaning/yearling weights? Do you care about color?

As others have mentioned a Brahman on Braford is too much Brahman influence in the calves. What are your goals? Do you keep replacement heifers? The Braford cow can be bred a number of ways to produce good calves. If you keep heifers as replacements, you will need to keep some Brahman-influence for the females to be environmentally adapted. Look for another Brangus or a Beefmaster or a Santa Gertrudis. If you sell all the calves and buy your replacements then look for a terminal sire that will put pounds on the scales (Charolais, Simmental). The right Angus bull could work, but you need one with bone and muscle. Check out Gizmo Angus located in the Florida panhandle. Some of the best Angus cattle anywhere and I am not a black hide fan.

Breeding 5 cows now, and most are usually around 200lbs-250 a few being little over 300lbs at 6 months give or take. We usually just send to market both steers and heifers, and raise 1 steer for ourselves. But def would like better weight faster if possible. Thanks everyone for your help looking like I'll stick with my Brangus and either find another Brangus, Angus or Charolais.

Breeding 5 cows now, and most are usually around 200lbs-250 a few being little over 300lbs at 6 months give or take. We usually just send to market both steers and heifers, and raise 1 steer for ourselves. But def would like better weight faster if possible. Thanks everyone for your help looking like I'll stick with my Brangus and either find another Brangus, Angus or Charolais.
If those calves are that small at 6 mos, then there is something seriously wrong with those cows, or that bull, or both. The 6 mos old heifers ought to weigh over 400, and the steers closer to 500. How much do these cows weigh? How much does that bull weigh? With 5 cows, I wouldn't buy a bull....I would AI. Since you sell them all at weaning ( smart move), then I'd AI to a Chi-Angus or Black Simmental. You'd lose 20-30 cents per lb using a Charolais. If AI isn't an option for you, and you just want to buy a bull, @kenny thomas sent me a pic of a homozygous for black and polled Simmental bull calf he is buying from @simme. It turned 6 mos old last week and weighed 740 lbs. Kenny said Simme has another just like it but maybe a little thicker. That would be an excellent terminal sire for your Brafords.

Brangus or Angus would both be good options, imo.

Jesus Christ

Well let's be honest, and sorry if you don't like what I say... If your weights are 200 to 300 pounds at 6 months there is something wrong. Are you raising miniatures? Are you starving them? What's going on with that? If you have normal sized cows and a decent bull of any breed you should be doing at the very least 400 pounds or better at six months.

Or are you just guessing and your numbers are off? Do you actually weigh them?

The industry standard weaning weight is taken at 205 days, which is seven months. Anyone in the industry raising cattle seriously is not going to be satisfied with any cow that doesn't raise a 500 pound calf at 7 months. When I was raising my cattle I would cull cows that wouldn't produce a 600 pound calf.

If all you have is five cows I'd never own a bull. The return on a bull that is only breeding five cows is not justifiable for the price of feeding him. The return on a bull that throws 200 pound calves at 6 months is throwing money away.

You've got a bigger problem than replacing your bull if your calves are that light at that age. How about posting pics of your cows, bull, and pastures?

Last edited:
Angus works good.