Brahman bull

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
Would you breed a brahman to cows that have calved at least twice or is it still risky? Cows are anything from british white to hereford crosses

Go to a legit breeder and tell them what you are doing. They should point you toward a lower birth weight, calving ease bull.

Don't buy your neighbors "Brahman bull calf" or some Craigslist bull. This will definitely be a... you have to pay to play scenario. You will get what you pay for.

Totally agree with this. I have two personal experiences with buying sale barn Brahman bulls. Total train wrecks, despite being advised against it.

Would you breed a brahman to cows that have calved at least twice or is it still risky? Cows are anything from british white to hereford crosses
You got answers from the 2 most knowledgeable Brahma breeders on here, Caustic and Brute. I have fooled with a LOT Of Brahmas in my life, but I will defer to them when they say something different than what I think. You can not go wrong following the chart Caustic posted, but if you do want to breed British cows to Brahma, then do what Brute said. On another thread today someone posted some nice half Brahma calves out of sale barn angus and black baldies.. so you CAN get away with it. I have seem then bred to Simms, Charolais, Chianina, Chi-Angus, Longhorn and even Corriente with no problems. I know a man that has one of those raw milk organic dairies and has Jersey, Brown Swiss, Guernsey and Ayshire cows, and he breeds them to Brahmas. The few times I have seen calving problems, though, was with Ang and Herf cows. People do it...it's lot cheaper to buy a herd pf Ang or Herf and a brahma bull, than a herd of Brahma cows and an Ang or Herf bull.

Do you mind me asking what you are going for by using a Brahman bull?
Honestly, it's just available and comes from someone i know. I'm trying to get eared heifers to retain but half brahman is really more than i want.

Honestly, it's just available and comes from someone i know. I'm trying to get eared heifers to retain but half brahman is really more than i want.
BMs are 50% Brahma 25% Herford and 25% Shorthorn, so if you bred your cows to a Brahma, the calves would be the same percentage brahma as Beefmaster. Breed those retained heifers to Angus 1st time, then a homo for black and polled Black Simm. You'd get a lot of hybrid vigor with that cross. I think @simme Has some homo for black and homo for polled bulls for sale. When I was askig @Jeanne - Simme Valley about that clean-up bull she is using now, @kenny thomas sent me a pic of a bull he is getting from @simme . As nice a bull as I have seen. Looks like @simme is less than 2 hours form me over here in Gordon county, so might even be closer for you.

I bet,not many raising them around here anymore.
And the calves are up and feeding immediately and grow fast. I was impressed. The British white lost hers. She has giant calves no matter what i breed her to but was also out of synch and i was feeding heavy the first trimester because i had no grass and cows nursing calves. This year i'm synching and breeding while i can leave then on grass only the first 4 or 5 months. I may end up going ai. I only have a few head right now anyway.

BMs are 50% Brahma 25% Herford and 25% Shorthorn, so if you bred your cows to a Brahma, the calves would be the same percentage brahma as Beefmaster. Breed those retained heifers to Angus 1st time, then a homo for black and polled Black Simm. You'd get a lot of hybrid vigor with that cross. I think @simme Has some homo for black and homo for polled bulls for sale. When I was askig @Jeanne - Simme Valley about that clean-up bull she is using now, @kenny thomas sent me a pic of a bull he is getting from @simme . As nice a bull as I have seen. Looks like @simme is less than 2 hours form me over here in Gordon county, so might even be closer for you.
Yeah, i'd sure rather have a couple of brahma cows and a hereford bull to do that though

you ever consider Brangus? Some good breeders around nowadays
I'm trying to get away from black cows. When i get the cows that i want I'd probably put a brangus bull over them for terminal calves. I've watched weanlings lay in the shade panting and wonder if they were going to have heat strokes. I sell my calves direct and don't have to worry about hide color. This is just a sideline for me right now but in a few years it needs to be a moneymaker.