Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

Murry - sorry I don't keep track. Do you give Selenium - BoSe/MuSe or Multimin90 when they are born? Lack of SE causes White Muscle Disease and one of the first muscles affected is the tongue.
Also, if you have a cow that will kick (most will when you mess with their udder), you can put a rope around her body just in front of the hip bones & in front of the udder. Cinch it up really tight. They cannot pick up their hind legs. Gotta watch them tho, they can fall down.
There is a product called Orphan No More (or O-No-Mo), super cheap, comes in a jar (Valley Vet or most of the catalog sites). Just sprinkle it on the calf, a cow cannot resist licking. I find if a cow licks the calf, that's half the battle.
If you get the cow in the chute, get the calf sucking your finger or the bottle and then play switch, giving calf the teat.
After consulting with my vet, this calf just got a shot of B12. I was gonna put some resflor gold in him. But was advised against that. Vet didn't think this was indicated and I'm thankful for him. Sometimes he's hard to work with, but I like the guy!!
I gave a His mama a chance. Perhaps I should've left em penned idk...
But I'm determined to get rid of any problems. And poor Ellie Moo is, unfortunately, a problem. I raised her from a 400lb or so heifer and it does sadden me, but such is life.... 😞

And an update!!! A big one!
Bessie is a problem solver.
20220226_183149.jpg20220226_183029.jpg20220226_182738.jpg
I'm considering filling my freezer with Ellie Moo. A very humbling? thought. Depends when the butcher says I can get her in. Freezer is low. Cow is 5 or 6 yrs old. Make good burger and filets, ribeyes if nothing else.

So anyway guys, here we are. I just left em all penned together. No bottle for Toodles the bathtub bull calf this morning. And he and Bessie solved my problem. I love that cow sooooo much!

He will be moving to "think she will make milk" thread...

Edit to add..
I hope he quits walking around with his tongue hanging out now. Reminds me of a kid I went to school with. He never quit til he fell and bit his tongue near in half!

Last edited:
He reminds me of a "special" heifer that belongs to one of my clients. She never did learn how to drink from a bottle, but she'd slurp from a shallow bucket. She's always the last one to learn anything new, but she gets along.

So I sold Toodles. On to the next one!
The 2 competitors... and the 3rd younger steer. The steer is really growing out fast!
He's on the left.
I've taken a real liking to the black heifer on the right.
Red and the steer will be sold most likely.
The red baldie just ain't hit her stride yet, idk. The other 2 have sure outgrown her. When I get my black baldies gathered, I'll compare all of em.20220317_175732.jpg20220317_175729.jpg

Been a very busy day. This morning Sweet Tater finally spit hers out! Heifer calf.
Got a few more coming out of Richard!
20220402_142815.jpg20220402_143001.jpg
Helen has a touch of ear as well. Should be a good calf out of her!
20220402_181829.jpg
Rowdy is making a bit of a bag. She's running late.
Ditto, my favorite, should be along by next month. Sweet Tater calved today, a month ahead of time.

Yup I can see a 14" loin eye for sure and mild as Mrs Chedister after half a bottle of Laudanum!
Now if I had not sold that atheletic heifer!
Keep a diary just in case. There is a story in there somewhere...
Certainly been a long story hasn't it?

Tho I don't know where it's gonna go (perhaps it's already went), it's sure been fun!

Just a couple pics. Calf is a firecracker. Running with the herd already. The wind almost blew her down tho! South wind is stout today. This cow is out of Sally. Sally is the great big Chi-angus I have at the other place. This cow was sired by a son of Total Recall. She's been a good cow. Very gentle.. 3rd calf for her.
20220403_113323.jpg20220403_113328.jpg
Still waiting on Rowdy and Helen. They look closer every minute

Helen just dropped hers!
This is hers from last year. Moved up a couple weeks. Guess I'll go fart around in the wind and tag the new one! I've been heifer calf heavy as of late. I'll follow up after a bit....
Notice the ears... and he's outta hereford bull. New one is out of Richard! Excited to see what I got.
Screenshot_20220406-165258_Gallery.jpg
Made it back in time to edit!!

Here HE is. Was born a bull. Now identifies as a steer. I knew there would be ears!!!!!!!
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Second pic is poop. But best of the group I got. Wanted outta there so mama could do her thing. Guessing about 75lbs. But hooves are pretty big. I really should keep a bath scale in the truck. This mama is pretty chill also.
20220406_174216.jpg20220406_174233.jpg

Last edited:
The 2 competitors.
And the 3rd steer that's younger by almost a month.
Here, anyway, Richard won.
I'll be gathering the black baldies this weekend and comparing.
I'll update early next week....
20220414_180731.jpg20220414_180721.jpg
The big heifer ran off, but here's younger steer and red baldie.
I think you can see birthdays in ear tags.
20220414_181644.jpg

I got some crummy pics...
The black baldies are looking good!
I can't tell ya who did better. They are all about the same age aside from one lil baldie heifer.
The red baldie from home appears to be an outlier. She's a touch smaller than all the others.
20220415_113320.jpg20220415_113239.jpg20220415_113006.jpg20220415_113338.jpg20220415_113341.jpg
All in all I'd say the baldies out of Big Sexy perform better, tho I'm not disappointed in Richard's calves. I'll have a detailed report later on.

I am however a bit disappointed in weaning weights! I just got a rough trailer weight and guessed on what the cow weighs.
Average is about 425. There is 2 smaller calves so that'll bring the average down.
I sure hope that's a lie! Like I said. I'll report back. I know some folks were thinking it was a mistake to use Richard. As long as the calves do ok I'll be happy

I got some crummy pics...
The black baldies are looking good!
I can't tell ya who did better. They are all about the same age aside from one lil baldie heifer.
The red baldie from home appears to be an outlier. She's a touch smaller than all the others.
View attachment 15557View attachment 15558View attachment 15559View attachment 15560View attachment 15561
All in all I'd say the baldies out of Big Sexy perform better, tho I'm not disappointed in Richard's calves. I'll have a detailed report later on.

I am however a bit disappointed in weaning weights! I just got a rough trailer weight and guessed on what the cow weighs.
Average is about 425. There is 2 smaller calves so that'll bring the average down.
I sure hope that's a lie! Like I said. I'll report back. I know some folks were thinking it was a mistake to use Richard. As long as the calves do ok I'll be happy
Parting with the shorthorn too?

Parting with the shorthorn too?
Yep.
Too many cows, and I don't wanna wait til next spring to get a calf out of her. And it'll be the wrong color, won't match anything! 😆 Prices are too good to not sell her.
Her calf brought good money. I'll come out well, even with the feed she's eaten.

I am a bit sad about it tho. Hopefully someone really likes her and takes her home!

Latest posts