Brahma cross bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

MM> You have more 'fun' than most in this business of cow. Are you far enough south that you can get away with full-blooded
Brahma? I am too far north and too long here to do it but things being different I would have considered a little red brimmer bull
calf to raise and try on some angus of either color. I suppose the thought of it has some advantage over the doing from a safety
point of view but still...... good luck with the calf.... LVR

MM> You have more 'fun' than most in this business of cow. Are you far enough south that you can get away with full-blooded
Brahma? I am too far north and too long here to do it but things being different I would have considered a little red brimmer bull
calf to raise and try on some angus of either color. I suppose the thought of it has some advantage over the doing from a safety
point of view but still...... good luck with the calf.... LVR
😀 I think he will live thru it as long as my wife don't kill me first!
My mind occassionally wanders to a brahma bull. Tho, the ones I've seen sell, which are very very few, don't bring much. Too much leather gets docked a bit as well on the crossbreds. There is a beautiful small herd about 50 miles east. White brahma mama cows. I don't know how they care for them this time of year. I guess they can handle an occasional winter blast idk...
Anyway. This one has been listed a while now....
Screenshot_20220223-203154_Samsung Internet.jpg
Perhaps you've seen this?
81411107.jpg
Fella don't live far from here. Friend of a friend and all that...
One of his pleasures was knocking on a guy's door and hiding around the corner while the bull stood there waiting for the door to open!

Last edited:
😀 I think he will live thru it as long as my wife don't kill me first!
My mind occassionally wanders to a brahma bull. Tho, the ones I've seen sell, which are very very few, don't bring much. Too much leather gets docked a bit as well on the crossbreds. There is a beautiful small herd about 50 miles east. White brahma mama cows. I don't know how they care for them this time of year. I guess they can handle an occasional winter blast idk...
Anyway. This one has been listed a while now....
View attachment 13639
Perhaps you've seen this?
View attachment 13641
Fella don't live far from here. Friend of a friend and all that...
One of his pleasures was knocking on a guy's door and hiding around the corner while the bull stood there waiting for the door to open!
My God! Don't let Warren see that calf. He will be on it like a fly on stink! Bramhaeinte!

I can't win one way or the other.
Got yelled at about having a calf in the bathtub. She hated the thought of having a bovine in the house. (I did too a little) lol
It was fun for about a couple hours....

Now she's named him and working on getting another half a bottle in him!
Born 2-22-22
Toodles... 🤣

A bull named Toodles 🙄

I can't win one way or the other.
Got yelled at about having a calf in the bathtub. She hated the thought of having a bovine in the house. (I did too a little) lol
It was fun for about a couple hours....

Now she's named him and working on getting another half a bottle in him!
Born 2-22-22
Toodles... 🤣

A bull named Toodles 🙄
Better than a brother in law named Jerome.....

Toodles the bathtub bull calf climbed out this evening. Got a whole bottle in him. He's got nursing down pat now. Made a spot in the trailer. It's cold. But the wind is gone and I got him a heat lamp.
Idk where he will end up yet. Either on Ellie Moo or Bessie
I'm thinking I'll catch Ellie Moo Saturday and see how they jive. If that don't work, Bessie it is!
Dem earz!!
20220224_212059.jpg20220224_212307.jpg
I know it's hard to judge from a picture, but his feet are BIG. I'm thinking she may have had a hard time getting him out expeditiously and combined with the cold and wind that contributed to his unthriftyness..

Who's it gonna be????
20220225_175146.jpg20220225_181954.jpg
Bessie is the easiest to work with.
But mama seems kinda interested.

I think I've ruined this calf. He thinks food comes from me.
I grab a Bessie teat and stick it in his mouth but he don't know how to make it work? Tug tug, squirt squirt... yep. There's milk.
Lil dummy.

They are penned together but he gave up. Hollered quite a while and laid down. He only took half a bottle this morning. I KNOW he's hungry. Hate to do it but I may stick a bottle in him tonight. It's pretty chilly still.

can you halter that cow? put her in a chute? he should go to it after a few tries. how long has it been? 2 days? seems like he ought to figure it out if you keep him shoved into place and stuff those teats in.

can you halter that cow? put her in a chute? he should go to it after a few tries. how long has it been? 2 days? seems like he ought to figure it out if you keep him shoved into place and stuff those teats in.

Y

You can milk them down and once the calf latches on and is sucking he will likely keep them usable. If not...
Thanks guys.
He was born the 22nd and I'm pretty sure he didn't nurse, between what I think was a difficult birth and the weather. The wind was strong enough and cold enough I think he gave up pretty easy.

She is gentle but not halter broke. Im positive she will kick me if I try to handle her udder.. My option at this point I think is to try and chute her and get him started. She was talking to him. And sniffing him. But no licking. I think she was just waiting for him to nurse. He just don't have a clue.

Work in progress still. I'll have time tmrw to load em and chute her if I decide to go that route.

As an aside. His tongue hangs out when he nurses. Never seen that before either.
Here's a pic. His lower lip? Is crooked?? For lack of a better term.
Tongue usually hangs out that side.
Anybody got an idea what's going on there?
Indicator of a hard birth? Birth defect?
Just a special special boy?
20220222_190008.jpg20220222_185948.jpg20220222_185958.jpg
I think @J Hoy will find this interesting 🤔

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
He was born the 22nd and I'm pretty sure he didn't nurse, between what I think was a difficult birth and the weather. The wind was strong enough and cold enough I think he gave up pretty easy.

She is gentle but not halter broke. Im positive she will kick me if I try to handle her udder.. My option at this point I think is to try and chute her and get him started. She was talking to him. And sniffing him. But no licking. I think she was just waiting for him to nurse. He just don't have a clue.

Work in progress still. I'll have time tmrw to load em and chute her if I decide to go that route.

As an aside. His tongue hangs out when he nurses. Never seen that before either.
Here's a pic. His lower lip? Is crooked?? For lack of a better term.
Tongue usually hangs out that side.
Anybody got an idea what's going on there?
Indicator of a hard birth? Birth defect?
Just a special special boy?
View attachment 13729View attachment 13730View attachment 13731
A chilled calf can have all kinds of problems. You might think he is warmed up at this point and he can still be running cold. You might want to bring him in to your house at night and feed him some warmed milk (colostrum when you milk down the cow) mixed with coffee or chocolate. Give the calf some energy. That tongue hanging means his brain isn't engaging properly.

My God! Don't let Warren see that calf. He will be on it like a fly on stink! Bramhaeinte!
Nope. Got no use for a crossbred bull of any kind. This one looks to be half shorthorn. They would have been better off the steer him and just take the hot for ear and color at the sale barn. I couldn't t imagine anyone who knows cattle, and in it for the money, using this as bull.

@MurraysMutts , not the best plan to use a Brahma bull on beef cows like Hereford, Angus etc. Lots better results to use Brahma cows and Hereford or Angus bulls.

Nope. Got no use for a crossbred bull of any kind. This one looks to be half shorthorn. They would have been better off the steer him and just take the hot for ear and color at the sale barn. I couldn't t imagine anyone who knows cattle, and in it for the money, using this as bull.

@MurraysMutts , not the best plan to use a Brahma bull on beef cows like Hereford, Angus etc. Lots better results to use Brahma cows and Hereford or Angus bulls.
There's a brahma/gyr bull calf for the same price.... 😆

I think for me, brahmas are nice to think about. But I like my ol mutts pretty ok. Gonna be selling a few of em before long. I look forward to replacing them with a lil better quality as I go...

This red bull calf was doing that too-he would hang his tongue out of the left side for a bit after he finished nursing. I thought his jaw was a little crooked initially, but he's straight now. He was born when it was really cold, he was a little "slow" the first day or two, but is full of P and V now …maybe it's just a thing?

Attachments

• E38C3B67-AB8C-4546-843E-2F3CC9081916.jpeg
    E38C3B67-AB8C-4546-843E-2F3CC9081916.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Murry - sorry I don't keep track. Do you give Selenium - BoSe/MuSe or Multimin90 when they are born? Lack of SE causes White Muscle Disease and one of the first muscles affected is the tongue.
Also, if you have a cow that will kick (most will when you mess with their udder), you can put a rope around her body just in front of the hip bones & in front of the udder. Cinch it up really tight. They cannot pick up their hind legs. Gotta watch them tho, they can fall down.
There is a product called Orphan No More (or O-No-Mo), super cheap, comes in a jar (Valley Vet or most of the catalog sites). Just sprinkle it on the calf, a cow cannot resist licking. I find if a cow licks the calf, that's half the battle.
If you get the cow in the chute, get the calf sucking your finger or the bottle and then play switch, giving calf the teat.