Bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

Slllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww internet... and i'm a button pusher. Those two things dont mix, duplicate post removed. Will get pictures of bull later, but in this line of bulls, this is how they like to pose...lol]
And to anyone who doesnt understand this burying of my post, search my post to years ago and you'll see the few guys left from that time, they did it back then too..... something about me just gets under their skin.
Yes, I remember some of the boys used to like to pile onto you pretty hard. I think they did it because you wouldn't back down.

Slllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww internet... and i'm a button pusher. Those two things dont mix, duplicate post removed. Will get pictures of bull later, but in this line of bulls, this is how they like to pose...lol]
And to anyone who doesnt understand this burying of my post, search my post to years ago and you'll see the few guys left from that time, they did it back then too..... something about me just gets under their skin.
I remember that, never understood it.

The calf is a nice type but I wonder about the birthweight. Is 50 pounds common on a bull calf from a cow there? Is he a curvebender and that is what you want?

You have 15 bulls. Are all brindle? How did you get them? If by keeping your calves then you have a track record of how to do it. Particular traits like short ears and brindle are not something that I know much about but if you sort for it you should be able to get it. Even in registered herds and flocks there is always variability. Like Larry said, use the bull that is most like the type you prefer.

Looks like you have some clean up and repairs to make. I haven't fully checked things after the wind last night, 70 plus gusts here with some higher in other areas. Sucks when your setting and listening to it blowing knowing something is getting torn up somewhere.
Not often we get big winds but one in early December 2020 when the ground was saturated and no frost laid hundreds of acres of trees flat in this area.

The calf is a nice type but I wonder about the birthweight. Is 50 pounds common on a bull calf from a cow there? Is he a curvebender and that is what you want?

You have 15 bulls. Are all brindle? How did you get them? If by keeping your calves then you have a track record of how to do it. Particular traits like short ears and brindle are not something that I know much about but if you sort for it you should be able to get it. Even in registered herds and flocks there is always variability. Like Larry said, use the bull that is most like the type you prefer.
No, he was small at birth compared to his half sibs. And, since he's out of this line of simbras, he will grow fast. My thought on BW is, if you have to have them big starting out to get a good weaning weight, there is something wrong. My opinion is, if its easier on the cow she'll rebound faster after the birth and will have a happier calf. Remember we got into sims in the 80s, when having a large calf was the norm, so was pulling calves, slow calves, calves having a hard time nursing due to LUTC syndrome.... to those who dont know, low udder tall calf.............Anywhoot, if you can get smaller calves, thus saving your time and having down cows, but, also getting good weaning weights, why strive for BWs any larger than you need. Now, does that mean all our calves are that size, no. We do get some lunkers. But, over the last 10ish years we've gone to just a few calving problems and only occasionally due to size, not including heifers, that is always a crapshoot.
But, i know this bull is going to grow and that he started out small, even better.

This was our only pull this year out of a cow. I was watching Fatty Mc Butterpants for a very long time. I suspected twins. Then one day i go out, 2 feet, pecked on by vultures and a cow with no labor going on. We had to pull this one in the pasture. Amazingly, the cow got up and walked away. Probably the biggest calf we've ever pulled in one piece. This, this is why i want to keep BWs as low as i can. 1687255584239.png

Most are solid black... we just have 3 brindle. These brindles went on their own herd this year to see if they produce brindle. We have one red like this calf, he produces a few brindles. Not only are they brindle, but if they are, they are wide and sell good, thus, why i want brindle out of our bulls. Its not just the color, the line produces a desirable weanling that sells good. Brindle is just a bonus

No, he was small at birth compared to his half sibs. And, since he's out of this line of simbras, he will grow fast. My thought on BW is, if you have to have them big starting out to get a good weaning weight, there is something wrong. My opinion is, if its easier on the cow she'll rebound faster after the birth and will have a happier calf. Remember we got into sims in the 80s, when having a large calf was the norm, so was pulling calves, slow calves, calves having a hard time nursing due to LUTC syndrome.... to those who dont know, low udder tall calf.............Anywhoot, if you can get smaller calves, thus saving your time and having down cows, but, also getting good weaning weights, why strive for BWs any larger than you need. Now, does that mean all our calves are that size, no. We do get some lunkers. But, over the last 10ish years we've gone to just a few calving problems and only occasionally due to size, not including heifers, that is always a crapshoot.
But, i know this bull is going to grow and that he started out small, even better.
I think you are right on target. I would want the small BW like you said for those exact reasons. Now if someone has the opposite personal objective of creating the biggest BW possible, then they are welcome to it I suppose. However, when dystocia and related problems go through the roof for him, he has to accept that as well as a cost of his objective. I posted a very sad story of a case like this on a thread a couple weeks ago. The producer got huge calves like he was looking for. He also got everything else that goes with that scenario.

This was our only pull this year out of a cow. I was watching Fatty Mc Butterpants for a very long time. I suspected twins. Then one day i go out, 2 feet, pecked on by vultures and a cow with no labor going on. We had to pull this one in the pasture. Amazingly, the cow got up and walked away. Probably the biggest calf we've ever pulled in one piece. This, this is why i want to keep BWs as low as i can. View attachment 31438
Dead calves aren't worth much. We were never a fan of heavy birthweights.
Calving problems can cause the cow to not breed back, or breed back later than
usual. Once you get heavy birthweights in your cows, it's hard to get rid of.

Dead calves aren't worth much. We were never a fan of heavy birthweights.
Calving problems can cause the cow to not breed back, or breed back later than
usual. Once you get heavy birthweights in your cows, it's hard to get rid of.
Took a long time, but, we're dang good at pulling a calf...lol... With the retro sim coloring, we also get the retro size but not as much anymore. Here is Fatty Mc Butterpants a MONTH before she calved. I suspect she was wayyyy overdue, calf kept growing. Sad, but we didnt lose her and thats a good thing. I just knew it was twins. 1687271020938.png

I can see why you thought twins. Ever heard of triplets? I hadn't until a week ago this past Friday during a field day when I was chatting with a producer. It happened years ago to him. All 3 survived. The odds of that happening? IDK, I'd just say pretty much non-existent on having triplets and then non-existent on all 3 surviving as well as the cow. The reason they all survived, there happened to be 2 friends visiting the producers wife that day who was a nurse and the friends also happened to be nurses. I know, too unbelievable. This stuff can't be made up.

I think you are right on target. I would want the small BW like you said for those exact reasons. Now if someone has the opposite personal objective of creating the biggest BW possible, then they are welcome to it I suppose. However, when dystocia and related problems go through the roof for him, he has to accept that as well as a cost of his objective. I posted a very sad story of a case like this on a thread a couple weeks ago. The producer got huge calves like he was looking for. He also got everything else that goes with that scenario.
I'll be devil's advocate and say that calves do better in my experience if they are somewhere in between. I want calves that are 75 to 90 pounds and cows that can birth them. If it takes a 50 pound calf to have no calving problems I'm raising the wrong kind of animals.

Our calves normally
I'll be devil's advocate and say that calves do better in my experience if they are somewhere in between. I want calves that are 75 to 90 pounds and cows that can birth them. If it takes a 50 pound calf to have no calving problems I'm raising the wrong kind of animals.
They are in that weight range.....But.............BUT............if i'm keeping a bull, he's not going to be a heavy newborn. I mark every bull calf if it was big at birth, he gets a big ole X by his name, no matter how nice he is.. Aint nobody got time for dat. Argue what you want, but, if we keep a bull, the smaller at birth the better, doesnt mean our calves are all dinks at birth.

I can see why you thought twins. Ever heard of triplets? I hadn't until a week ago this past Friday during a field day when I was chatting with a producer. It happened years ago to him. All 3 survived. The odds of that happening? IDK, I'd just say pretty much non-existent on having triplets and then non-existent on all 3 surviving as well as the cow. The reason they all survived, there happened to be 2 friends visiting the producers wife that day who was a nurse and the friends also happened to be nurses. I know, too unbelievable. This stuff can't be made up.
I thought i could almost see two in there, we'd already had 2 sets.. Never had triplets, unless, one was abandoned at birth or was stillborn and something drug it off...

You beat me to it.

Our calves normally

They are in that weight range.....But.............BUT............if i'm keeping a bull, he's not going to be a heavy newborn. I mark every bull calf if it was big at birth, he gets a big ole X by his name, no matter how nice he is.. Aint nobody got time for dat. Argue what you want, but, if we keep a bull, the smaller at birth the better, doesnt mean our calves are all dinks at birth.
Kudos to you. I think that what @Travlr was saying is that there is a 'sweet spot' that he aims for. I agree. Too small can be problematic as well. It's just 'too small' usually doesn't enter the picture. Kinda like resting your pastures too long between grazing periods in a grazing rotation. Usually doesn't ever enter the picture or is even a consideration. Occasionally however......

Latest posts