Bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

I do have smaller type cows. Bigger 1500 to 1800 lb cows would destroy the the ground I have to use in the winter months.
The last Angus bull I had was at 1800 lbs as a coming three year old and he wasn't through growing and wasn't fat.
I'm happy with a 1200 lb cow. I know when it comes time to sell the cows the heavier weights would be nice.
Temperament, they say he is quiet, but the test will be when a stranger shows up.
Bear in mind not having judged cattle, I probably misuse some(?) of the terminology. :)

I have a book with a 1906 copyright. It is interesting to see what the primary British Breeds present in the USA looked like at that time. And to realize how many transitions they have gone through. At the time the book was written there were very few Continental cattle in America.

I am struggling with using an AI bull for the exact reason. There's a bull that I love his phenotype. But, he is a CE bull with pizz poor growth. "I" would never use him for CE because like you, I want calves to grow. Drinks don't make anybody any money.
But, I have some whales that it wouldn't hurt to tone down their weight. I mean, my 2 year olds...60 days after weaning their calves, with great pastures have really put on weight and look good. (Well, to be honest, they never really lost any condition raising their first calf). But, their average weight on 10/27 was 1564#. That used to be my avg wt of my cowherd at this time of year!
I think I'm talking myself into using him on my 1800# + cows.
You know your cows and what you want.
I'm not trying to influence your decision one way or the other just stating my thinking.
I'm not especially concerned with EPD's but if AI breeding I pay more more attention to them especially in high accuracy heavily used bulls.
I would personally not breed a good big cow to anything that would not measure up to her.
We had a good commercial Simmental cow that had a calf by a cheap cow freshener insurance policy Hereford bull as I called him. He was thick and solid just smaller framed.
This cow always raised a good calf and we kept all of her heifers. My wife saw that calf from that cow and bull mating, she asked where did that little knot head come from. I told her and she was in disbelief that that cow could have such a dink of a calf.
In turn that dink calf grew into a dumpy cow and raises dinks herself and got sold last week

I am afraid that inbreeding is what has happened to a lot of our Angus back legs and hips. Some looked super on body conformation, but don't feel the bull can handle many cows to breed with such weak structure in the rear end. Seems to be increasing each year. Having said that, I now will try to stop such close breeding.

These are some follow up pictures on the 9 month old bull calf I was asking for opinions on. I would allow him to be around 700 lbs
IMG_4424.JPGIMG_4435.JPGIMG_4430.JPGIMG_4432.JPGIMG_4425 1.JPG