Borrowed neighbors bull

Help Support CattleToday:

coriraz

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and am looking for some advice. Our long time cattle farmer and very kind neighbors have let us newbies borrow one of their bulls 2 years in a row for our 8 cows/heifers. Both times have resulted in great healthy calves. We would like to continue using their bull but they won't let us pay them or do anything for them in return. I feel like we are taking advantage of them. Any advice or ideas of ways to pay them back would really be greatly appreciated.

Find out what they're into. My neighbor is really into wine. I know that I can always get him a bottle after he helps on something. Also, we had a neighbor plow us out with his tractor one winter. He never sent a bill, but it's not free to do that. I sent him a check for $100, and probably underpaid. He cashed the check and we've never talked about it, but I know that it meant a lot to him.

I usually give a gift card to local restaurant or even a store.

Or you could make a donation in their name to the Human Fund. ;-)

Your appreciation of your neighbor's generosity and desire to compensate him is admirable. :clap:
You've gotten some excellent suggestions. I especially liked Bestoutwest's. Whatever you opt to do, I can assure you it will be appreciated.

Just a small token gift would suffice. He would probably prefer to have you use his bull than have an underutilised bull of yours looking to get in with his cows and wanting to fight his bulls.

Ken

wbvs58":356dwn5t said:
Just a small token gift would suffice. He would probably prefer to have you use his bull than have an underutilised bull of yours looking to get in with his cows and wanting to fight his bulls.

Ken
exactly..

the best gift you could give him is to keep using his bulls.

I had a similar situation. Old gentleman's bull came calling on 10 heifers I had next door to him. He came over hat in hand and said "Captain, we got a problem, my bull has broke in and bred your heifers". I told him no problem and I really appreciate it since I was going to have to haul a bull over there. That was late in the fall so at Xmas I took him a ham to thank him for the use of the bull and visit. That turned in to an annual thing up until his death.

All good suggestions! Gift card, bottle of wine or favorite whiskey, a ham or perhaps help out with some work one time; if you see that they may need a hand fixing fence, trimming shrubs, weed-eating the side of the road, something like that.

Workinonit Farm":3pzumfju said:
All good suggestions! Gift card, bottle of wine or favorite whiskey, a ham or perhaps help out with some work one time; if you see that they may need a hand fixing fence, trimming shrubs, weed-eating the side of the road, something like that.
Ham or turkey..just in time for thanksgiving...

anything is good, i had a similar situation with my neighbor helping me out and took a entire day with my texas fence fixer( barbwire tightener) and got his old barbwire fence in good shape. that tool is awesome btw. he didnt want anything in return but it made me feel good doing that for him

One of my neighbors, at a remote pasture location, allows me to use electric for the fencer and water for the cows. I have offered to pay him rent. He won't hear of it. Every December, I send him a Christmas card with a $100 gift certificate to a local "fancy" restaurant. He is always very appreciative and says it works out perfect for their anniversary dinner. Also help him catch his cows when they get out and cull dead hogs for him when he goes away for the weekend.

bball":1nnhci3c said:
One of my neighbors, at a remote pasture location, allows me to use electric for the fencer and water for the cows. I have offered to pay him rent. He won't hear of it. Every December, I send him a Christmas card with a $100 gift certificate to a local "fancy" restaurant. He is always very appreciative and says it works out perfect for their anniversary dinner. Also help him catch his cows when they get out and cull dead hogs for him when he goes away for the weekend.
how do you cull dead hogs??dont being dead qualify em??

ALACOWMAN":2363lwyo said:
bball":2363lwyo said:

Pull the deads out of the barn.

bball":2dtmfmsy said:
ALACOWMAN":2dtmfmsy said:
bball":2dtmfmsy said:

i see..most of my hog experience is at the table..

Workinonit Farm":1r378mdd said:
Shew, for a ham and a bottle of whiskey you can borrow my bull.

ALACOWMAN":1aaljcoz said:
bball":1aaljcoz said:
ALACOWMAN":1aaljcoz said:

i see..most of my hog experience is at the table..

He's a heck of a good guy. Semi-retired. Buys young, rough calfs at sale barn and finishes on cheap inputs. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.
One of the hardest working retirees i know.

Latest posts