Book reccomendation

Help Support CattleToday:

I just finished "Range War in Whiskey Hill" by Charles G West. It's a good read also.

Between He77 and Texas is very good but it's different somehow, I can't put my finger on it but it's like it's not just Dusty writing it.

I am a big Louis Lamour fan. I have read all of his several times. I have read several by William Johnstone which are decent. For thos liking non-fiction read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. He was the lone surviving Navy Seal from Operation Redwing in Afghanistan. Great book and also a very touching story.

cross_7":gs35gnzn said:
how bout Last Buckaroo by Mackey Hedges anybody read it ?

REVIEW by TIM o'byrne- working ranch magazine
The mail came one day, and in it
was a book by Mackey Hedges
titled, the Last Buckaroo. 'Thick as a
John Deere chopper manual', I
complained to myself, 'how could I
ever begin to read such a thing?'
Innocently, I flipped to page one
and it sucked me in like a Hoover
vacuum. Every dink horse, every
two-day hangover, every silent sagebrush
sunrise, every flake of winter
snow … every empty-pockets
Sunday morning, every 'running on
fumes' attempt to get back to the
ranch in a wore-out truck; he wrote
it, I re-lived it, and it was impossible
to put the dang thing down. My
dog didn't get fed, my taxes went
unpaid, my neighbors left casseroles
after my wife boarded a plane to see
her sister. The casseroles piled up
on the porch, I truthfully never
noticed my wife was missing, and
the dog eventually got fed when I
noticed him trotting around the
house with a rare and valuable
rawhide quirt in his mouth.
Bottom line is, if you want a slice
of the buckaroo trail, circa 1960's
with all the drippin's, then you
need to get this book. Mack buckarooed
a long, long time, did a hitch
in the Marines, and when I called
him up on the phone last month to
complain bitterly about how his literary
skills almost wrecked my life,
he was eager to discuss it all.
Heaven knows he had plenty of
time to talk; he was currently laid
up, at age 69, after experiencing a
head plant, courtesy of one of his
broker horses. Our visit was too
short.

Try "Patriotic Fire" by Winston Groom. Groom wrote Forrest Gump. It's about Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite and the battle of New Orleans. It also has a little history of the Indian war in Alabama.
Really enjoyable reading because I'm very familiar with a lot of the locations mentioned.

lynnmcmahan":11tgvcyg said:
Try "Patriotic Fire" by Winston Groom. Groom wrote Forrest Gump. It's about Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite and the battle of New Orleans. It also has a little history of the Indian war in Alabama.
Really enjoyable reading because I'm very familiar with a lot of the locations mentioned.
Lynn I find your book comment interesting.
Please tell us where you are located. If you would put your location in the avatar area it would help.
Wish all new people would do this like Melking did.

Isomade":ttwif48t said:
Between He77 and Texas is very good but it's different somehow, I can't put my finger on it but it's like it's not just Dusty writing it.

just finished it and i agree it seems like two different people writing it.
the other person seems to be maybe female and very detailed and articulate

cross_7":3upw57d1 said:
Isomade":3upw57d1 said:

just finished it and i agree it seems like two different people writing it.
the other person seems to be maybe female and very detailed and articulate
:nod: my thoughts exactly.

Ryder":2pjaiixo said:
lynnmcmahan":2pjaiixo said:
Please tell us where you are located. If you would put your location in the avatar area it would help.
Sorry Ryder, maybe I'll figure out the process sooner or later. To answer, I live in Vancleave on the MS Gulf Coast

lynnmcmahan":13n3np18 said:
Ryder":13n3np18 said:
lynnmcmahan":13n3np18 said:
Sorry Ryder, maybe I'll figure out the process sooner or later. To answer, I live in Vancleave on the MS Gulf Coast
Do you know if the Friendship House Restaurant is still in Biloxi? Good fish, honey, and biscuits there.

Friendship House? I think Camile got it in'69. They built a Red Lobster and an Olive Gaden in it's place and Katrina got both and everything else in'05. I think there might be a for sale sign on the property.

Isomade":bsg6v1ux said:
I just finished "Range War in Whiskey Hill" by Charles G West. It's a good read also.

just finished it and liked it
also read the last buckaroo. i didn't like as much as some people did but still a good read and deans version "shadow of the wind" was good also.
just about out of reading material, seems like all the good authors have passed on.

I know this thread is old, but the short story "To Build a Fire" is on the Internet for free. It is a very good read.

"All Creatures Great and Small" by James Heriot. Given to me by a friend when I was hospitalized earlier this summer. A good laugh, a good read and some things never change.

Latest posts