Book reccomendation part II

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I downloaded a book on my Kindle this week. I could not put it down. It has to be the most powerfull story I have read in a long time. The book is not new (130 yrs old), it is free and it should be a must read for American History in school. The book is called Company Aytch and was written by Samuel R. Watkins in 1882 some 20 years after the Civil War. Sam was a private in the 1st Tennessee Regiment. He participated in every major battle the 1st Tennessee Regiment participated in from day one until Lee's surrender. He wrote his memoirs from a private's perspective describing the day to day life of a CSA soldier and detailed descriptions of his participation in battles at Shiloh, Franklin, Chicamauga, Missionary Ridge, Kennesaw, Atlanta, Murfreesboro and many others. Out of some 1,400 men in the 1st Tennessee Regiment, Samuel was one of only 65 left alive after 4 years of battle. One stretch of combat lasted 104 days with Samuel participating in the battle daily. Samuel was from the area of Tennessee not far from me so the story takes on alot of life due to the fact that I am very familiar with the towns, landscape, buildings and weather conditions described. He was wounded several times and discusses in detail the emotional highs and lows of the killing, destruction and thrills of the battle. Amazing story content here that is never told by our teachers and historians. They mostly stick with the battle reports from Generals and newspapers of the time. This gets down to the nitty gritty of the war and why the average guy answered the call to arms in the south. I think Alacowman would really appreciate this book. I encourage everybody, whether a southerner or yankee, to read it it. It will completely blow your mind on how tough, brave and principled both sides were from the top generals down to the lowest private.

One story he tells is that he was sitting on a log eating breakfast with his friend. They were sopping gravy out of the same plate when a cannon ball comes over the parpit and hits his hat brim and then hits his friend in the side of the head removing everything but his face skin. His friends brains fell into the plate of gravy. You want hear those horrible realities in history class.

No need to teach that. 600,000 dead is enough said. Heard somewhere the other day that with today's population that would be the equivalent of 6 million dead.

TexasBred":2n8dhl3r said:
No need to teach that. 600,000 dead is enough said. Heard somewhere the other day that with today's population that would be the equivalent of 6 million dead.
Got to agree with Hoss. Most folks today just hear a number that is not even real to them.

A while back there was a TV course on the war that HS teachers could get credit for.
It was taught by two history professors from Southeastern Louisiana University. They did a good job and had done a lot of research. They showed "all" sides (more than just two). They showed the good, the bad, and the ugly.
One of them had grown up and had been 'educated' in the New York, New Jersey area. After doing his own research about the south and the war, he said regarding his education,
"They lied to me".

I was referring only to the showing of missing heads etc. not being necessary. Dead is Dead. Whether or not the lad was taught the truth certainly would depend on the teacher's idea of truth. i was lied too as well in HS and College about quite a few things. Didn't change the result one bit but still was a lie.

A book I really enjoyed was Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. It is the life story of Jeannette's grandmother, written in the first person. Even though it is told from a female perspective, the rough and tumble life this lady lived should keep the attention of the guys, too.

MO_cows":14iln0jw said:
A book I really enjoyed was Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. It is the life story of Jeannette's grandmother, written in the first person. Even though it is told from a female perspective, the rough and tumble life this lady lived should keep the attention of the guys, too.
Yes. Good book.

Half Broke Horses is good. I read it about this time last year. The Help is good. Heck, I am a librarian and I can't think of anything right now... The Language of Flowers is good. I read a lot of young adult stuff. Making The Rounds With Oscar is good. Not a new book. I like non fiction. Just got The Way I See It by Tenple Grandin. Had never read it. It is very good and helpful.

TexasBred":3jzsc47d said:
Whether or not the lad was taught the truth certainly would depend on the teacher's idea of truth. i was lied too as well in HS and College about quite a few things. Didn't change the result one bit but still was a lie.

Truth is truth to my way of thinking. It is not what's truth for you or what is true for me.
That gets into opnion which is not always truth.
Truth " IS ".

Lies, or truth, as the case may be, DOES change things. For instance public opinion is often formed or changed by lies or truths.

So there, Mr. TexasBred, :hat: I hope I have got you straightened out now. :tiphat: