Book reccomendation

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Im not sure how many are aivid readers on the board..I tend to read more in the winter, but picked up "A Dog's Purpose" while in Fort Worth this weekend, at the reccomendation of a friend. I finished it in a day.

I highly reccomend it..very very good book.

Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer. Read the book ignore the movies. The Lee Marvin version isn;t too bad but it sure isn;t nearly as good as the book. The tom selleck version just plain SUCKS

This summer I'm way into Saxon/Dane history in England.

Dun's recommendation is a great read. Have you started your annual reading yet?

MistyMorning":1vcrehd7 said:
This summer I'm way into Saxon/Dane history in England.

Dun's recommendation is a great read. Have you started your annual reading yet?
Read it twice last year so I'm holding off for another couple of months

The Danes did a lot of damage to the Brits. The longboats were state of the art in weaponry.
The Vikings credit card commercials just kinda leave me amazed. Are you Vandal or Visigoth?

"The Time it Never Rained" by Elmer Kelton is my favorite book. "Sons of Texas" series is just as good. Kelton is the best western writer who ever lived in my humble opinion. I read 40+ books a year, all western fiction.

"The Work Of Wolves" by Kent Meyers is one of my favorites. It was an assignment in my Literature of the American West class in college, and I loved it. Modern Western set in the Badlands of South Dakota.

Man, I love to read. My granddaughter bought me a "Nook Color". One of those electric books. But it is hard to get used to using it. I love a good paperback, lightweight and easy to carry. Sitting on the back patio overlooking the lake with a Single Malt Scotch and a good read is as good as it gets.

Isomade":r9sm8rui said:
"The Time it Never Rained" by Elmer Kelton is my favorite book. "Sons of Texas" series is just as good. Kelton is the best western writer who ever lived in my humble opinion. I read 40+ books a year, all western fiction.

i really liked the pumpkin rollers by kelton.
just read texas blood feud by dusty richards
nearly as good as kelton

cross_7":2xc2g680 said:
Isomade":2xc2g680 said:

i really liked the pumpkin rollers by kelton.
just read texas blood feud by dusty richards
nearly as good as kelton
I've red almost all of Dustys books as well. I would have to agree he is very good.

papavillars":1k3ss77p said:
Man, I love to read. My granddaughter bought me a "Nook Color". One of those electric books. But it is hard to get used to using it. I love a good paperback, lightweight and easy to carry. Sitting on the back patio overlooking the lake with a Single Malt Scotch and a good read is as good as it gets.

Works well "sittin on the throne" Papa...wife got me a "Nook" which is Barnes and Nobles copycat version of the Amazon Kindle. Love it.

Isomade":1eqjeg50 said:

i've read all louis lamour, ralph comptom, elmer kelton but these guys won't be writing amymore books.
i've tried others but i haven't found any as good as them except dusty richards.

who do yoi read ?

Keltons last is his best. Its his biography.
The Return of Henery Star is good,written by Richard Slotkin.
Monte Walsh is my all time Favorite,Its Written by same Fella wrote Shane.
If you can find any of Will James books they are great.
Smokey the Cow horse,Rodeo Cowboy,Sun Up ,Flint Spears etc.

baleflipper":1jnnh4ck said:
Monte Walsh is my all time Favorite
If your favorite western movie is Evil Roy Slade and favorite TV western is F Troop I can tell you have very good taste.

cross_7":3raongax said:
Isomade":3raongax said:

i've read all louis lamour, ralph comptom, elmer kelton but these guys won't be writing amymore books.
i've tried others but i haven't found any as good as them except dusty richards.

who do yoi read ?
I'm in the same boat. I have read all of Kelton, most of Lamour, and most of Compton. It's tough to find anyone to compare. I sure figured out that just because they have a Spur Award don't mean they can wright a good book.

Latest posts