black calves - what do you think? (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I know they're not the best pictures...sorry!

blackI_121306.jpg

calf10_121306.jpg

blacksrearview_1213061.jpg

I'm thinking about selling this group next week. There's four; two heifers, two steers. Comments?

Good to see you back, MilkMaid. Cattle prices are in a slump going into the Christmas holidays. Many sale barns are closed until after the New Year and many feed yards and backgrounders are not wanting new cattle coming in. Unless you definitely have to move the cattle for some reason before the first of the year, you are probaly making a mistake. If prices would continue on a downward slide for the next several weeks, would be the only reason that you are not making a mistake. If you can, hold them for a few weeks. This is normally the worst time of the year to sell feeders.
Good luck with whatever you do.

It is great to hear from you MM. Are these a couple of your bottle/nurse cow calves? If I were you I'd do as LA says.

Not to hijack but how is college going?

Nice to see you around. As la and others said, I'd hold off at least til after the holidays. The longer, the better, in my opinion. I'm sitting on a group of 5 and 6 weights right now, looks like they'll spend the winter here, not looking to give them away.

cfpinz

Hey MM, glad your back.

Just one question .... can I have those two steers? ;-)

And how old are they? weigh?

Yep, they're all holstein/angus crosses, raised on a nurse cow. They're about 5-6 months, think they're around 400-500lbs.

Is that steer in the second picture obviously holstein cross, or does he look like he could be crossed with something like herf?

I don't "have" to sell them right now, but they'd probably drop weight when I wean them, and I'd like to put a new group of calves on this cow next week if possible. I could wait to the second week of January though if that would be better.

milkmaid":1k5pbas5 said:
and I'd like to put a new group of calves on this cow next week if possible. .
Could you wean them away from the cow and then put the second group of calves on her.

I could. :nod:

Just don't like watching them drop weight. :p :lol: I'd much rather sell them right off the cow.

milkmaid":1wsmetat said:

Just don't like watching them drop weight. :p :lol: I'd much rather sell them right off the cow.

I know what you mean, you have a pretty good idea of what they're worth now but no guarantees what they'll bring in the future or something could happen to them. Chance you take. We've sold straight off the cows, still do sometimes. I won't wean an animal unless they are going to be kept a minimum of two months past weaning, it's just not worth the hassel or the stress on the calves to me for less time.

cfpinz

milkmaid":3u15r0w9 said:

Could you put them on a good high roughage ration including free choice hay or silage and keep them gaining along with giving any shots that they would need. This preconditioning wouldn't hurt the sale prices come Jan or Feb.

milkmaid":1tvwupwl said:
Yep, they're all holstein/angus crosses, raised on a nurse cow. They're about 5-6 months, think they're around 400-500lbs.

Is that steer in the second picture obviously holstein cross, or does he look like he could be crossed with something like herf?

I don't "have" to sell them right now, but they'd probably drop weight when I wean them, and I'd like to put a new group of calves on this cow next week if possible. I could wait to the second week of January though if that would be better.

he looks holsteinish enough that a buyer will notice.

What do you figure they weigh? If they are light enough you could hold onto them until the greenup and people are buying grass calves. The market picks up some then. If you sell them are you taking them to IF or Blackfoot?

Mother Idaho has missed us both. I've been visiting her pretty regular though.

la4angus":3unpkg4m said:
milkmaid":3unpkg4m said:

Could you put them on a good high roughage ration including free choice hay or silage and keep them gaining along with giving any shots that they would need. This preconditioning wouldn't hurt the sale prices come Jan or Feb.

Yes, I could put them on free choice alfalfa and grain... main thing is that I really have a few too many cows. :lol: Our salebarn doesn't seem to have a program for people who spend the time preconditioning calves -- wish they did, but so far it's never mattered if I had given all the shots or none. If I do keep the calves for another month I'll definitely vaccinate though. They haven't had any vaccs yet, since I left when they were still too young for the vaccines to really be effective, so I didn't bother.

milkmaid":3q8c076v said:

Milkmaid,
In our area the second week of January sale is most always better than Dec. Believe I'd shoot for that.