Black Buzzards

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2pklda86 said:
Bigfoot":2pklda86 said:
I've never lost a calf to one. I guess it's just a matter of time till they develope a taste for them.

Up in our neck of the woods we don't lose them to just one either. There are generally a dozen or more swarming in all at once. Some distract the cow while the others attack the calve. It doesn't help that there is a major roost just across the Ohio River from our main farm.

I'm going up this weekend and I'm going to move the 28 that are due to calve in September down to the house where hopefully someone can keep an eye out for trouble. Need to do that anyway since the majority of them are first time calving heifers. It's only a 5 mile trip.
Tux. Need to watch close. I saw a bunch sitting on the tops of fence post not 100 yards from the neighbors house across from my farm. They can be bold. I have chased them off from a newly born calf and got within a 100 feet before they flew. Since I started my campaign against them, they have become more wary.

They don't need the regular buzzards to show them any thing. I have seen the eating on the calf before its out of the cow. Seen them kill the cow and the calf. Or at least eat the cow up enough you will have to kill her. So don't pay any mind to the fellar who said they followed the red headed buzzards who is after the after birth.

Tenn tux, the large roost was biggest back in cold weather. They're still around since warm weather just roosting in smaller groups (nesting and rearing young? ?). Seen 19 around roadkill today expected to see Deer carcass, but no it was 1 single rabbit.
Personally I think they can sense calving season from one farm to another. Like first sign of afterbirth or newborn it's like let's keep checking back.

dryfork2":3hzn2fjj said:
Tenn tux, the large roost was biggest back in cold weather. They're still around since warm weather just roosting in smaller groups (nesting and rearing young? ?). Seen 19 around roadkill today expected to see Deer carcass, but no it was 1 single rabbit.
Personally I think they can sense calving season from one farm to another. Like first sign of afterbirth or newborn it's like let's keep checking back.

I think you are right about that. We had lots of cow to calve after the initial flurry of activity but when we were getting 2 or 3 calves a day the buzzards were at their worst.

I put an end to the coyote hunting on or property because the guys were baiting with animal carcasses which also served to draw in the birds. I asked them to bury any animal that they find dead on our property for the same reason. No sense setting the table for 'em.

Red Bull Breeder":35v4uk8f said:
They don't need the regular buzzards to show them any thing. I have seen the eating on the calf before its out of the cow. Seen them kill the cow and the calf. Or at least eat the cow up enough you will have to kill her. So don't pay any mind to the fellar who said they followed the red headed buzzards who is after the after birth.
RBB, I may have implied a meaning that was unintended. I should have said the circling of the turkey (red head) buzzard appears to provide some level of attraction that lures the black vulture to the birthing cow. Talking to cattlemen here, they all pick up the afterbirth and dispose of it so it does not provide an attraction. I agree also that w/o doubt they are able to find the birthing cow without help from the regular buzzard

TennesseeTuxedo":7sptsnz7 said:
dryfork2":7sptsnz7 said:

I think you are right about that. We had lots of cow to calve after the initial flurry of activity but when we were getting 2 or 3 calves a day the buzzards were at their worst.

I put an end to the coyote hunting on or property because the guys were baiting with animal carcasses which also served to draw in the birds. I asked them to bury any animal that they find dead on our property for the same reason. No sense setting the table for 'em.
Tux I just had a time getting a cow due to calf right up here by my shop so I can keep an eye on her. Interesting, I don't see a single buzzard og any kind today. :banana:
Right you are. Don't ring the dinner bell.

So far we do not have any breeding population of black buzzards here tho we might got a visitor from time to time. Coyotes and wolves are my biggest concerns.

Two of those black buzzards were involved in a serious farm accident on my place today. They are very clumsy creatures.

They are terrible here year round. Saw a bunch circling over the pasture our fall calving cows are in today. When you see that, you drop what you're doing and get your butt out there ASAP. We haven't lost any yet, but fortunately we have a pretty good view of the whole place. We don't really go anywhere during calving season.

One thing that has helped us is killing some hogs or varmints and dumping them on the opposite side of the ranch. Actually, I think it has made a tremendous difference. Keeps them occupied. That, and we have great neighbors that will come hunt you down if you have buzzards circling anything. If you have 40 or so (normal size group here) circling a pair, they can do a lot of damage fast, and there's no way the cow can fight off that many. Our heeler enjoys chasing them off..."bowling for buzzards!"

inyati13":2xyuqdyl said:
Red Bull Breeder has concluded the same thing I have. They don't come around as bad in late winter so if your cows calve then, you are somewhat safe. But I started seeing them by April. Also, vulture's roost so are not a factor at night. But how do you tell your cow to only give birth at night?

There was an article in some magazine a few years ago talking about the relationship between time of feeding and time of calving. Feed in the morning, calves born at night. Feed in the evening, calves born during the day. Something about rumen activity delaying calving. We have been feeding hay in the afternoon the last couple of years and I think we have more born during the day than we used to. Could just be coincidence? I'd rather fight buzzards during the day than coyotes at night.

ricebeltrancher":1h7vbbe0 said:
They are terrible here year round. Saw a bunch circling over the pasture our fall calving cows are in today. When you see that, you drop what you're doing and get your butt out there ASAP. We haven't lost any yet, but fortunately we have a pretty good view of the whole place. We don't really go anywhere during calving season.

One thing that has helped us is killing some hogs or varmints and dumping them on the opposite side of the ranch. Actually, I think it has made a tremendous difference. Keeps them occupied. That, and we have great neighbors that will come hunt you down if you have buzzards circling anything. If you have 40 or so (normal size group here) circling a pair, they can do a lot of damage fast, and there's no way the cow can fight off that many. Our heeler enjoys chasing them off..."bowling for buzzards!"

Blue loves to chase birds. He even things he can get them when they are flying at passenger jet elevations. :D

I am pleased with myself. I saw a cow bred in the fall of 2012 and timed her to have her calf 8/12/13. I was looking at her yesterday morning. I told my brother, she will have her calf this afternoon. I left the farm about noon and went back about 7 pm. Already up and nursing was a new calf. Such a pleasant sight. Don't think it ever gets old. Dad was 90 and he still found it rewarding.

BTW, not a single buzzard was anywhere to be seen. My policy might be working or maybe they were all at a roost conference. :banana:

I had them all over my farm this spring in Central KY. Thankfully we didn't lose any calves due to them. I am amazed how aggressive they are compared to turkey vultures. I had one try to drive a mother cow away from her calf.

TennesseeTuxedo":9pzekft6 said:
They wore us out at our farm in northern Kentucky this spring. We lost 3 calves that we know of.

We're about to calve out 28 first time heifers or 2nd calf cows and I'm really nervous about a reoccurrence.

Where are you located?

TN/KY border, middle in the Bugtussel area.

ricebeltrancher":1ibq5e3v said:

Feeding them increases the population in the area.

Latest posts