heifers calving - buzzards, feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
We have a couple of heifers that will be calving in two weeks. Moved them this evening to a 2 acre trap next to the barn to keep an eye on them while calving.

There are hundreds of black headed mexican buzzards in this area. We have not had trouble with the buzzards in the past, but they seem to be more of them and they are not scared or shy of humans or cows.

The trap these heifers are in have no cover (trees or brush) only the barn they can access at will. I'm wondering if it would be better to let the heifers calve in the pasture where there is plenty of cover from buzzards or keep them up close to the barn where I can keep an eye on them.

Also, a while back a fellow told me that if you feed in the evening they will calve in the day, or was it feed in the morning and calve at night, don't remember for sure. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

No idea on feeding having anything to do with when they calve. I was at a presentation last year at a cattlemen's meeting and the discussion was on Black buzzards. They recommended hanging a effigy
https://forestry.ca.uky.edu/files/forfs18-03.pdf Or you could hang one that has died recelently of lead poisoning if you can find one.

Gizmom

Yes if you feed at evening the cows will calve during the early morning and day. This isn't 100%, but it does seem to work. You have to get them in a routine. The idea behind it is that they will eat are night and rest/calve when they are full. If they eat all day then they calve at night when they are resting.

Good Luck with the vultures. We don't have any yet, but they are getting closer.
Nice looking heifers.

If they are hanging out on your place and you can find where they are roosting, fire off a couple rounds of #4 shot at them just before dusk. Doesn't matter if you hit them or not but they sure don't seem to like it.

If it were me I would keep them close by where they could be watched being the fact they are heifers as well as the large number of buzzards around. If it were cows they may be alright to calve out in an area with a lot of cover, however we have lost a couple cows calves to buzzards but we don't have much heavily wooded areas.

Thanks for the replies. If I run across an effigy will use it. Scared a few off with a pellet gun, but nothing to remove the sacred birds from their being. Going to leave these heifers in the trap by the barn and will post pics of red white face calves soon (hopefully).

Started feeding them a little in the evening for that daytime calving.

Thanks again.

Latest posts