Black Baldy Question

Help Support CattleToday:

I do not care if you are tired of Collegiate cowboys, you are still wrong.

cfpinz

"Bullsh*t.

The heterosis you pick up from the first cross is more powerful than any of the diluted followers. Been there, done that."

Davemk":1gwintec said:

You obviously have no understanding of how heterosis works. Stick to Progressive Farmer.

You're not one of the yayhoos peddling "hybrid" bulls on Craigslist, are you?

cfpinz":1qfw8d45 said:
Davemk":1qfw8d45 said:

You obviously have no understanding of how heterosis works. Stick to Progressive Farmer.

You're not one of the yayhoos peddling "hybrid" bulls on Craigslist, are you?
:lol2: :lol2: bad example of Craigslist's mongrel bulls, dude.

Since the subject is "Baldy" cattle here's a new wrench to throw into the works. Last week when doing our annual PAP testing with a Vet from CSU we had a baldy heifer go thru the chute @ the speed of sound....crazy as they come and surprisingly she flunked the PAP test. The subject of baldies came up and the vet who sees literally thousands of cattle a year tells us that 10 to 15 years ago baldy cattle were the best dispositioned cattle he saw on a consistant basis. He then told us that they had gone through a 180 degree turnaround over that time and were now the worst dispositioned cattle in general that he was seeing....I have my theories as to why but would like to hear what ya'll think.

3waycross":t3l6xjai said:
Since the subject is "Baldy" cattle here's a new wrench to throw into the works. Last week when doing our annual PAP testing with a Vet from CSU we had a baldy heifer go thru the chute @ the speed of sound....crazy as they come and surprisingly she flunked the PAP test. The subject of baldies came up and the vet who sees literally thousands of cattle a year tells us that 10 to 15 years ago baldy cattle were the best dispositioned cattle he saw on a consistant basis. He then told us that they had gone through a 180 degree turnaround over that time and were now the worst dispositioned cattle in general that he was seeing....I have my theories as to why but would like to hear what ya'll think.

Folks are using blazed faced Simmental bulls instead of Hereford bulls to make baldies?

True Grit Farms":1a4082de said:
3waycross":1a4082de said:

Folks are using blazed faced Simmental bulls instead of Hereford bulls to make baldies?

Maybe but,I doubt that more than 5% of the baldies in America are made with that cross.....

True Grit Farms":2tx3ujog said:
3waycross":2tx3ujog said:

My mother has always used bwf sim bulls on brangus baldy cows and they usually turn out mostly motley with a few baldies,blazes and solids. Covers the tick of ear and the little bit of chrome usually tops the market.

3waycross":17iz7xhm said:

I can unfortunately second that observation. First of all I must say that Angus x Hereford is my favorite cross. A few years back after trying to put together a small herd of registered Angus, and ultimately giving up due to largely disposition and fertility issues, I started buying BWF and Herefords for cows, and BWF heifers for my bred heifer ventures. I have ended up with 2 or three BWF each year that have been plum nuts. Had one that was bred too young when purchased, calved her out, was put up a gate by her. she did good raising a calf and bred right back so I kept her a couple more years, sold her a few weeks ago, after several instances of her running at us in the field, once even after her calf had been fully weaned. Last year had a BWF heifer that was open, we took her to market. I knew she was flighty, but was surprised to hear that in the stockyards she was so stirred up that she ran into a gate so hard she broke her neck. This year, had too take back and refund for a BWF bred heifer, that ran through a fence when turned out by the new owners. I gladly took her back and resold her as a feeder the next day. Having good disposition cattle has always been my priority so it is disturbing to me to have these issues with them. I think that the cause is maybe two fold, disposition of the parent stock ( which in my humble observations seems to be an issue for some Angus), or handling or lack there of, from the breeders they are purchased from. An Angus bull that we raised last year, turned out to be insane, even though his herd mates were calm and they were fed daily. I recently purchased some 525 lbs. commercial black heifers presumably Angus that are calm, and then another group that were not, but they have mellowed some. I bought some BWF heifers from a Hereford influence sale today, and from the speed, and flight zone that seems to be more like a sight zone, I will likely have to do some early culling.

Got a black baldy cow here, she's not flighty but she's nutty when she has a calf with her.

Ky hills":1kg1qkvk said:
3waycross":1kg1qkvk said:

I can unfortunately second that observation. First of all I must say that Angus x Hereford is my favorite cross. A few years back after trying to put together a small herd of registered Angus, and ultimately giving up due to largely disposition and fertility issues, I started buying BWF and Herefords for cows, and BWF heifers for my bred heifer ventures. I have ended up with 2 or three BWF each year that have been plum nuts. Had one that was bred too young when purchased, calved her out, was put up a gate by her. she did good raising a calf and bred right back so I kept her a couple more years, sold her a few weeks ago, after several instances of her running at us in the field, once even after her calf had been fully weaned. Last year had a BWF heifer that was open, we took her to market. I knew she was flighty, but was surprised to hear that in the stockyards she was so stirred up that she ran into a gate so hard she broke her neck. This year, had too take back and refund for a BWF bred heifer, that ran through a fence when turned out by the new owners. I gladly took her back and resold her as a feeder the next day. Having good disposition cattle has always been my priority so it is disturbing to me to have these issues with them. I think that the cause is maybe two fold, disposition of the parent stock ( which in my humble observations seems to be an issue for some Angus), or handling or lack there of, from the breeders they are purchased from. An Angus bull that we raised last year, turned out to be insane, even though his herd mates were calm and they were fed daily. I recently purchased some 525 lbs. commercial black heifers presumably Angus that are calm, and then another group that were not, but they have mellowed some. I bought some BWF heifers from a Hereford influence sale today, and from the speed, and flight zone that seems to be more like a sight zone, I will likely have to do some early culling.

I was away from the Angus cattle for a few years. Since I've been back I can tell a big overall difference in their dispoistions. It used to be Angus cattle were like Herefords and the large majority were easy to handle. It was what I call the exotics that tended to be hot blooded. Now a fair percentage out of some of the top AI sires are hot blooded. I also see it in some Hereford cattle also. Herefords overall still have the best dispositions but some tend to be flighty. I've had Angus PB breeders tell me they have to cull more for dispositons now than ever before. Handling is also a big issue. When I first started helping with the herd I help with and run a few with the first time I fed them then got out of the pu at least a 1/3 of them took off. After being around them for 3-4 years and continually walking around them and handling them easy they are easy to handle and most don't even raise their head when you walk around them. I can pen 99% of them with a 5 gallon bucket of cake in any pen we might have or put up. Nothing replaces spending time with them. I purchased a 2 y/o bred heifer last winter. I had walked through them 2 days before in a pen and she didn't even get up. I bid online and then went after her. There were 2 wanna be cowboys on horses that were sorting the cattle off and bringing them at a run to the loading area when you went to load. Needless to say she was wound up and bouncing off of fences by the time we got her loaded. I decided to give her a few weeks to settle before I took her to the sale. She settle down and now is easy to handle. Both breeding and handling are the major issues with hard to handle cattle. Not sure why so many feel the need to whoop and shout and whip and prod.

As far as the disposition issue with Angus, I don't have any of them, and don't want to offend any of the many Angus breeders, but I suspect that with the popularity of the breed in recent years (I won't go into why they're so popular) a lot of cattle have been sold for breeding stock that should have been culled. Disposition is only one of the issues.

Rafter S":3ojaqyg1 said:
As far as the disposition issue with Angus, I don't have any of them, and don't want to offend any of the many Angus breeders, but I suspect that with the popularity of the breed in recent years (I won't go into why they're so popular) a lot of cattle have been sold for breeding stock that should have been culled. Disposition is only one of the issues.
Hard to disagree with that.

Line bred angus x line bred Hereford = extreme f1 heterosis, and a durn good mama cow. Third breed terminal bull over top is the cat's meow, for commercial production.

jdg":3mtpkbqb said:
Line bred angus x line bred Hereford = extreme f1 heterosis, and a durn good mama cow. Third breed terminal bull over top is the cat's meow, for commercial production.

Extreme heterosis from crossing two linebred strains of two British breeds?

Try crossing and Induan Gaur with an Angus. Or a fullblood Brahma with a fullblood Limousin. Or a Tuli with a bison.

Your described cow would be a good one, but there are a nearly infinite number of ways to get more heterosis than you've described.

I can't argue with that....I'll climb out of my grass fed bubble. I should say that's it's a good cross that works in a lot of environments...but you're right, mixing species and or continents will give you more heterosis. I think having two line bred lines crossed is a happy medium for consistency and heterosis. Extreme heterosis is the wrong phrase...good point!

Latest posts