Birds moving south.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Well the middle of August our purple martins left and then the gold finches last week and I only have 4 humming birds around now.They will be gone very soon as well;I was surprised to see them this morning.SO this is a sad time of year as it means the inevitable is coming.Snow.I am getting really tired of 8 months of winter and I heard already that there is a snow fall warning for the Banff region. :(

Maybe the onset of fall is making everybody cranky.

OK guys and gals quit rubbing it in.Did I forget to mention that it is almost pitch dark before 9 in the evening and the leaves on some trees have started changing color's.Oh, and another thing it has been raining since yesterday and today we had a high of 9 degrees celsius.

Hey Jo you can send your hot weather down here but you can keep your snakes and bugs ;-).

Did I mention that I hate winter. :help:

I'll be glad to send you some of this heat. Temperature and humidity has been killing me. I'm normally soaked to my drawers by 10:30 a.m. Made the mistake of getting too hot the other day then going into the A/C. The change from heat index of around 110 to 78 was more than my body could adjust to so now I'm sick with a summer cold.

Now if you will take some of this heat off our hands I'll gladly throw in some Love Bugs since I know you couldn't properly enjoy the heat without them. :lol:

We were talking about the birds leaving, just this morning... Our hummers down to about a half dozen... The crows are all bunched up... The swallows, both barn and tree are down in numbers too! The temperatures are not all that bad either...
There's talk of an early winter here in Montana...
I guess we're due for a good one as the past few winters were pretty marginal..

Haven't seen a meadowlark at all today. Starlings are grouping together. Saw a few flycatchers, but not as many as last week. The trees leaves are starting to turn.
Things are pointing to a winter, but this Montana you never can really tell until it happens.

Weird yesterday. Went to get the kids from the school bus had the windows open and car shut off, it was dead quiet. The only thing I could hear was a cricket. It was so quiet it hurt my ears.
No birds.

It was 110 yesterday and will be the same today. Still having some summer storms so the humidity is up. I can't wait for October when we stop seeing 100 altogether.

Yellow Jackets are trying to get into my house now. Lysol kills them pretty well and I think it is 409 that does as well.

Well today was actually really nice it got to about 29 so, big improvement.The wind was calm and it felt like summer again until about 8pm when it started to cool off.It is 19 now and we are BBQ'ing tenderloin.Late dinner as we are trying to get the second cut done.ILH I was under my favorite apple tree tonight and I found a HUGE wasp nest the black jackets.Needless to say I quietly walked away and perhaps tomorrow I will clothe up and try to spray it.BUT my recent reactions after being stung make me think I might just let them apples be ;-) .I sure miss the sound of the Purple Martin's though.

I luv herfrds":bd1meoa7 said:
Yellow Jackets are trying to get into my house now. Lysol kills them pretty well and I think it is 409 that does as well.
My wife's coffee works very well for that!! Once they hit the soup, their life expendancy is shorter than a packrat in a hav-a-heart trap thrown into the canal!

for the wasp nest, my husband waits until dark, grads the propane torch (hand held not tiger torch) and lights up the nest. Only the nest burns, all the wasps are inside and it's lights out for the wasps and nest.
The canada geese are starting to come back from the north. Getting ready for the feast on the grain feilds. They will be here until i think October sometime, maybe I'm wrong, Have to check when hunting season is on.

Latest posts