big lumps on my bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
Hello all we have a small herd of beef cows.
2 weeks ago a black angus steer had big lump on his back jaw big one and it absecessed. We had him sent to the butcher rather then putting any Meds in him.called the vet but he never returned my call. Now two weeks later our black angus bull has a very large lump on his shoulder and is growing one on his side near his back leg. What do you all think it could be? called the vet again sitll no responce.

Holmesfarm":1e7rfq7q said:
2 weeks ago a black angus steer had big lump on his back jaw big one and it absecessed. We had him sent to the butcher rather then putting any Meds in him.called the vet but he never returned my call. Now two weeks later our black angus bull has a very large lump on his shoulder and is growing one on his side near his back leg. What do you all think it could be? called the vet again sitll no responce.
If no rersponse from phone call, then find out about when vet should be in his office and make a personal visit to see him. If he's not there, then find out when he should be back and hang around until he gets there.

Holmesfarm":3u5n2eqp said:

Doesn't that just burn you butt? :mad:

I did a real quick internet search on the possible causes and one article said it could be from a certain thorn or insect, which of course then abscesses. blah, blah, blah. Whatever it is, you need to know what it is and what to do about it quick. One animal could be a fluke...2 of them within this time frame is scary...and not a coincidence.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice

hematomma or what ever it is it sorta hard becasue we had a cow do that this past summer on her shoulder and it was form somecow bumping her into a post and the vet came out and put a needle and it took the sample i nto see if it was a certain tumor or that bull it was just a sorta swollen thing takes a while to go dwon to

Just heard from the vet.He thinks without seeing it that it form a throny bush He wants us to watch it and let it abscess.I feel alot better thanks to you all.

just out of curiousity, can you put this bull into a chute and poke and prod on the bump/s? could you post a pic of it? we had one on a calf that turned out to be a russian olive thorn poke it and infect it. we sliced it open and drained all the puss, 'til it ran blood, then poured peroxide on it. was fine after that. don't know if that's what should be done with yours though. good luck.

glover36":34fb3tyd said:
hematomma or what ever it is it sorta hard becasue we had a cow do that this past summer on her shoulder and it was form somecow bumping her into a post and the vet came out and put a needle and it took the sample i nto see if it was a certain tumor or that bull it was just a sorta swollen thing takes a while to go dwon to

Glover, just FYI, there is a big difference between a hematoma and an abcess. A hematoma is the result of a bad bruise, in your case the cow being shoved into a post, which causes blood and other fluids to seep from the blood vessels in the area and collect under the skin - thus causing the lump you saw. An abcess, however, is the result of a foreign body - such as a cactus spine, thorn, sliver, etc., being introduced into the body, and the body reacting with white blood cells to fight it. The body will then 'wall it off' with a membrane to prevent it from 'spreading', the white blood cells die and create the pus seen when the abcess is lanced. The danger with abcesses is that they can rupture internally and create a sepsis condition if they are not treated properly. I hope this is useful to you, but that you will never have a need for the knowledge.

glover36":2xi04xey said:
thanks mscamp appreciate iit just picking up stuff as i go along(only 15)

No problem, this cattle stuff is a little daunting sometimes. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts