big hay problem!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

If we can't get at least 50 more round bales and 100 square bales we are definately going to look into feeding more grains and such. Yes it means more work but at least I can save some of my cattle and horses. We are a small outfit and this kind of stuff will definately make or break ya. We are in West Liberty KY and hay is not easy to find at all, getting more and more elusive by the day and people are trying to get rich off of it in one year. I understand supply and demand but I also understand greed. In the Lexington paper people are selling roles for $75.00 and squares for $5.00. I just can't afford to keep going for that. I also heard of someone waking up one morning and finding a mare and colt in there pasture. They found a note and $20.00 in the mailbox, it said to take care of them please. I believe it's gonna get worse before it get's better.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":1p8k62nc said:
HERE IN SW. OHIO 1ST CUTTING WAS HALF BECAUSE IT GOT FROSTED AT EASTER. THEN DRIED UP - 1 CUT ONE 5 ACRE FIELD AFTER THE ALFALFA BLOOMED JUST TRYING TO STIMULATE IT IF IT RAINED IT MADE 16 SMALL SQUARE BALES !!! ALMOST QUIT RAKING A COUPLE OF TIMESIN DISGUST. JUST CUT IT AGAIN SAT. AFTER WE GOT SOME RAIN IN LATE AUGUST. HOPING FOR 175-200 BALES.
HAVE ALSO HEARD SMALL BALES GOING ANYWHERE FROM 5.00-8.00. MOST PEOPLE CANT HANDLE MUCH OF THAT.

GUESS WHAT WE COULDNT BUY A RAIN MOST OF THE SUMMER EVEN WHEN THEY PROMISED IT . THIS MORNING THEY SAID JUST A SLIGHT CHANCE .YOU GUESSED IT...WET HAY NOW :x

williew":3ddaxigq said:
If we can't get at least 50 more round bales and 100 square bales we are definately going to look into feeding more grains and such. Yes it means more work but at least I can save some of my cattle and horses. We are a small outfit and this kind of stuff will definately make or break ya. We are in West Liberty KY and hay is not easy to find at all, getting more and more elusive by the day and people are trying to get rich off of it in one year. I understand supply and demand but I also understand greed. In the Lexington paper people are selling roles for $75.00 and squares for $5.00. I just can't afford to keep going for that. I also heard of someone waking up one morning and finding a mare and colt in there pasture. They found a note and $20.00 in the mailbox, it said to take care of them please. I believe it's gonna get worse before it get's better.

I feel for you. I know it is hard to afford the hay prices when they get to be that high, especially when your operation is smaller.

I'm not convinced that you can supplement your cattle just on grain, I think they do need forage, but maybe you can feed the grain supplements and cut way back on the amount of hay, and by rationing it, make it thru the winter. A good way to ration I think would be to feed all square bales-- Good luck hope it all works out.

GMN

krenwic":20ywxoeu said:
"commodities" such as dried distillers grains, cotton seed, citrus pulp, corn gluten pellets, etc. can be used solely by themselves or mixed to create feed for your heifers, cows, etc. Often times, these more "consistent" products can be fed for almost the same price as rolled hay. Ex) If hay in your area is costing $50/roll or roughly $100/ton, you can feed these "commodities" for $100-$130/ton. What does this all mean? The feed mixture will be double and perhaps triple in protein as compared to the best hay you can feed which runs 8-12% in protein. So you can feed a 20% supplement feed for pennies on the dollar more than hay. However, this obviously would involve more labor and the facilities to be able to feed these products.
==========
kren...,

Aside from added cost it seems you are missing an item...what about roughage and filler? If you attempt to satisfy those elements with high protein...troubles in the rumen.....and costly.

The reason for hay as fillers...even at low protein.

The going price here is $50 a round bale, corn stalks being baled like i have never seen at $25 or more a bale, and $5 to $7 a square bale and i think that is grass.. Donna

preston39,

never once did i mention this ration as a complete feed. as a supplement along with hay or winter grazing, one can stretch their forage without overspending or getting "gouged" by extreme hay prices. limited lbs./head/day, especially with the higher protein feeds, is all that is needed.

preston39":f99q5vlr said:
krenwic":f99q5vlr said:
"commodities" such as dried distillers grains, cotton seed, citrus pulp, corn gluten pellets, etc. can be used solely by themselves or mixed to create feed for your heifers, cows, etc. Often times, these more "consistent" products can be fed for almost the same price as rolled hay. Ex) If hay in your area is costing $50/roll or roughly $100/ton, you can feed these "commodities" for $100-$130/ton. What does this all mean? The feed mixture will be double and perhaps triple in protein as compared to the best hay you can feed which runs 8-12% in protein. So you can feed a 20% supplement feed for pennies on the dollar more than hay. However, this obviously would involve more labor and the facilities to be able to feed these products.
==========
kren...,

Aside from added cost it seems you are missing an item...what about roughage and filler? If you attempt to satisfy those elements with high protein...troubles in the rumen.....and costly.

The reason for hay as fillers...even at low protein.

What about cottonseed hulls as a filler(taking the place of at least some of your hay) supplemented by some of the commodities you have mentioned??

TSR,
the general rule of thumb for cottonseed is about 5 lbs./head/day for average size cows (1000-1200lbs). a neighbor of mine has fed this "as is" to supplement brood cows during tough winters and has had good results with body condition as well as breeding back. be careful when feeding it to your bulls, though, as it will lower their semen counts while they are on the feed. data shows they are back to normal once resuming a more normal diet. maybe someone else can testify to the cottonseed hulls?

krenwic

8) Here in fla. you can feed suga-lik brand liquid molasses, which is fully fortified has all the vitamins,minerals,salt, everything cattle needs,as long as they have some kind of roughage,it doesn,t have to be high quality hay or grasses.product#820 is formulated for e-z flow and handling during the winter months and is 32%protein. they have many other products that will match your needs, cattle consume about 3#per day per cow,roughly .40 cents a day per cow,if you want to check it out go to http://www.suga-lik.com. I have been using it for about 7 years and do pretty good on it.

krenwic":3mhx3bui said:
TSR,
the general rule of thumb for cottonseed is about 5 lbs./head/day for average size cows (1000-1200lbs). a neighbor of mine has fed this "as is" to supplement brood cows during tough winters and has had good results with body condition as well as breeding back. be careful when feeding it to your bulls, though, as it will lower their semen counts while they are on the feed. data shows they are back to normal once resuming a more normal diet. maybe someone else can testify to the cottonseed hulls?

krenwic

Krenwic, I think we're talking about 2 different things. I am talking about cottonseed hulls not cottonseed or cottonseed meal.

krenwic":ucz46xxu said:
"commodities" such as dried distillers grains, cotton seed, citrus pulp, corn gluten pellets, etc. can be used solely by themselves
.........these more "consistent" products can be fed for almost the same price as rolled hay.

.....If hay in your area is costing $50/roll or roughly $100/ton, you can feed these "commodities" for $100-$130/ton..........

The feed mixture will be double and perhaps triple in protein as compared to the best hay you can feed which runs 8-12% in protein.
...you can feed a 20% supplement feed for pennies on the dollar more than hay........
=====
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant with these points.

kyandy":28rscert said:
Hey third generation I am just outside of richmond How much hay do you need We have some square bales we might be able to spare.. Let me know how much you need and i might be able to find you some... A few of the neighboring farmers may have some rolls they may be willing to part with.. Let me know

If you can provide me with a # to call, I'd consider traveling there.

sidney411":34ubdrtd said:
Has anyone checked into how much it would cost to have hay trucked in on an 18 wheeler? Can't they hold 30 or so big bales?

Depends on the size of the trailer. Anywhere from 22-30.

Crowderfarms":3m19ruib said:
What I can't understand is we're all in this together...Or are we?

In my area we're getting pellets (corn gluten/soyhull mix) that's 16% shipped here. The feed is made in your state but I have no idea what part or a name to go with the area. We're locked in on $160 per ton now. Have 11 train car loads being unloaded this week and stored for winter. I have enough hay to make it to April if I use the pellets and have done this before. If you'd like I can find out where this feed is being made. The guy I buy from has to add shipping cost and with fuel prices being what it is, he's paying around $100 + or - per ton. He had been trucking the feed in but so many are buying he's getting it by rail now. Last year I paid $120 per ton. If you can get the feed and use 17-20 pounds of hay per head and 5-8 pounds of the pellets the cows will do fine through winter. Need to put some fat on cows now before cold weather sets in too. I've been off grass for 3 weeks now and the cows are plumping up pretty good now.

So far as hay there's little to be found here. There's some east of me I found out about yesterday for $40 per roll and 4x5 rolls. We'll have to haul about 80 miles one way. That area had some rain and they have some hay. Nothing anywhere close to what you're looking for though. The fuel is the biggest cost. Neighbor has a 2 ton flat bed and pulls a 30' pintle hitch behind it. He's hauling out of Harrisonburg Va. now. Gas engine truck uses $163 gas for one round trip. The diesel is a little better but not much.

May take me a day or two to find the location of the feed plant, so if you need that info send me a PM.

Back in 1964 we had hay come in by rail. Local lumber mill set up the shipping. I've seen the national guard haul hay in before too. I also remember back in those days the national news reported on those areas of drought and the need for hay which you see little or no coverage of today. The extent of the drought may be reported soon. Water is running out down the east coast for cities. The moans and groans will start soon. Golf courses will soon have to shut down. You'll see it on the news then. :lol:

Some farmers just off Rt.60 were stopped from irrigating last month. That stream fed the water supply for lynchburg Va. Lynchburg is now pulling more than 75% of their water from the James river. Those mountain streams are running very slow and many have stopped. Last week I heard on the radio that the city of Durham (NC.) had 79 days of water left. It's worse going south and west too. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when some of these large cities run out of water. I hope they have a plan. They are about to partake in what we've been dealing with for a good while now. When water generated power plants start shutting down and water has to be trucked in to cities we may have to take shits as armed guards to protect what we have. I hope that doesn't happen but it's getting closer every day now. Sorry to get off topic but just wanted to point out the rest of the nation will find out soon the extent of the drought.

Hay is high but wait till the water runs out. We may be selling water instead of hay and cows.

Hayes' Farms":1bk70616 said:
I am in Warren Co. KY and we are dealing with the same problem. Except we and find a few rolls, but they are asking $60 to $80 for them. What is hapening here in Warren Co isall the older farmers are selling out, not because the drought but because of the CREP program that the gouvernment has going on. It pays around $175 per acre and there is a $100 sigh on bonus. Must be a 10 or 15 year contract. All for the wildlife. So those people are selling out befor they get into feeding any hay. So there hay is for sale, it's a shame that a fellow farmer would try to take advantage of the situation. So the gouvernment is my bigest competition, they are renting ground for $175 an acre, I cant compete with that.

Heck, it went for 100.00 a roll and up here last winter. Square bales for 10.00 a pop. Feed store here still selling square coastal for 8.75 a bale. I bout fell out when I heard them tell a lady in the store that. There's hay everywhere this year. Here in this area of the country anyway. I feel your pain. We went two years in a row without significant rainfall.

I'm only about 40 minutes from Bowling Green, if you don't have any luck finding any PM me and I will see if I can find you some. If it wasn't for the Johnson grass that came up after we baled the oats we would be in a bind. The stuff has been cussed around here for as long as I can remember for being a nuisance weed, odd now that it is what will pull us thru the winter, heck if I would not get run out of the county I would like to plant some, drought resistant and makes alot of hay.

tuck":wx5zrlh3 said:
I'm only about 40 minutes from Bowling Green, if you don't have any luck finding any PM me and I will see if I can find you some. If it wasn't for the Johnson grass that came up after we baled the oats we would be in a bind. The stuff has been cussed around here for as long as I can remember for being a nuisance weed, odd now that it is what will pull us thru the winter, heck if I would not get run out of the county I would like to plant some, drought resistant and makes alot of hay.
=========
Tuck...,

Point well made.

We know a fellow up in Marysville Indiana who has about 40 acres of JG and he cuts it 2-3, sometimes 4 times each year. We have been watching and his cows in late winter look great.
Our Angus bulls there do well. I think he is on to something.

We recently delivered two bulls there and brought back 9 bales. We plan to seperate and winter 3-4 cows on it this time and confirm our feelings.

The neighbors just have to understand.

Latest posts