Big footrot outbreak in minnesota

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerD44

Reaction score
We have had our worst year ever for footrot this year. Usually we get only one or 2 here and there throughout the year. last year we had none. This year it is crazy. we have had over 10 animals on a pasture of 50 cow calf pairs get it and 6 head on the 70 head feedlot. All of our cattle get more than adequite mineral and salt including zinc and way more than the recommended rate of organic iodide. This year- it isnt enough. We had the local feed-nutritionist out the other day and he said it is all over the northern half of minnesota this year: on farms that have never had a problem before. (what's really weird is that on my uncles farm a few miles away he hasn't had one case yet this year- and his cattle are in mud all the time)

He is having us feed Chlortetracycline medicated feed to them for a week to try to knock it out of them- as we are having new cases every day or 2. The ones that get lame from it are getting shots of oxytet- LA-200. It seems to be a superbug this year though and sometimes takes more than one treatment.

Is anyone else out there having this much trouble?????

out here we have seen it too. We have had so much rain. this year two bulls down. But everywhere you go there are bulls off by themselves limping. We might try the footrot vaccine for our bulls next year.

we talked to the feed guy about the vaccine- he said it only works on some of the bugs that cause footrot- so a 50-50 chance of it working. And i don't know how much it costs- most things aint cheap.

We haven't had a case so far this year. But when we do, we have had better luck treating with long acting penicillin than with Oxytetracycline. You may want to consider trying that??

Used to be penicillin for pinkeye and oxy for foot rot now it is the other way around for us. And yes they both work well for us, usually only 1 treatment to bring them around.

I think everyone has had more than their share this year with the wet weather. My vet has me giving shots of Exceed. One shot is supposed to last 14 days. I have yet to need to treat one twice.

We have it terrible here in central mn. A friend of ours has it in about 50% of his herd. We just noticed it in one of our older cows last nite. So we are off to get some oxy. We are so dry down here the corn is burnt up with no recovering and we have had only 1 good hay cutting. I don't think our grass hay field will get a second cutting.

idylglade1":n3a6nt3w said:
We have it terrible here in central mn. A friend of ours has it in about 50% of his herd. We just noticed it in one of our older cows last nite. So we are off to get some oxy. We are so dry down here the corn is burnt up with no recovering and we have had only 1 good hay cutting. I don't think our grass hay field will get a second cutting.

A lot of MN is dry. We had our first rain in 27 days on 7/10 .9 in and another .6 on 7/13. According to radar very small and spotty thundershowers. At least our corn will make silage now.

As far as footrot, so far I've been lucky. I feed this Hi Mix salt out of Duluth. Seems it helps, I've not had a case in 4-5 years. My cattle drink out of ponds and spend a lot of time in the water. So I don't know if water/mud has much to do with footrot.

Knock on wood.. we haven't experienced any yet this year, which is really surprising since we've had almost 50 inches of rain.

I'll have to remember that about Exceed.. I got a bottle from A & M a few months ago to treat a kidney infection. Good to know I can use it on something else!

i actually have more footrot problems in dry weather than wet.

i keep seeing this thread and reading "Bigfoot Outbreak in Minnesota"

Beefy":3pxg913l said:

Strange, that's what I see too. And I though it was just senility

had a bad run of that once, used la and sulfa boluses. seemed to knock it down quick and for good.........you can check with your vet, this has been a few years ago and stuff changes.

dun":302tmsqh said:
Beefy":302tmsqh said:

Strange, that's what I see too. And I though it was just senility

Yah! I saw that too, thought so what, just another Big Foot :frowns: big deal :roll:
Then looked again footrot :shock: now that got my attention :oops:

Latest posts