big bore thumper bikes... and kickstarting them

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":rppf8ig9 said:
Well, for my bday I bought myself an old Honda XR 500... it doesn't have the luxury of electric start, and for a while I sure had to work to get it going.. now that some time has passed, I can cold start it first kick.. BAREFOOT... here's the proof

[youtube]e9PtRCuNSNk[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9PtRCuN ... ature=plcp

With no shoes!! lol

Mid life crisis or going to use it to check cows. When I was a kid my dad had cattle all over. He kept a z50 throwed up in the back of his truck to have something to ride when he got to each farm. Not the worst idea actually.

I can't even walk barefoot across the driveway anymore.
(they're making iron ore pebbles sharper than they did 50 yrs ago)

it does have a compression release

dieselbeef, does your kx 500 have a comp release? I probably would be able to start it if it does

Tip, when you kick it over, start from the bottom of the POWER stroke... makes all the difference... it makes it so the carb works properly... don't give it any throttle, and that makes it so it draws a good bit of manifold vacuum, which means the cylinder does't completely fill, which means you can get it to the top of the compression stroke more easily.... try it. This bike has had a fresh rebuild with an overbore, so it's go lots of compression and that's not the reason I can kick it over easily

I walk through alfalfa stubble barefoot all summer... it was 108F in town this year and I could handle the blacktop just fine too... I got about 1/4" of leather under there

to me kick start means I don't have my spurs on.....
actually nothing I ride needs a kick start......
got one that might end the ride or at least make it more exciting if kick start is employed.....

dieselbeef... or people who weigh 140 lbs soaking wet... I actually disabled the automatic CR, I found it messed me up more than anything, made it way harder to find out where I was

haha...im 200/210....with a pro circuit race motor on 110 fuel @ 14.1. sometimes its more than i got

i tell people if they can figure out how to start it they can ride it....so far nobody has been able to even get it to burp

gary

I rode a kz750 for a few years and it would only kick start. That was a fun ride and for a 750 it would move. Sold that one and moved up to the Vulcan 1500fi for a few years then stopped riding because all the soccer moms trying to kill me

hooknline":bl0r1y6s said:
I rode a kz750 for a few years and it would only kick start. That was a fun ride and for a 750 it would move. Sold that one and moved up to the Vulcan 1500fi for a few years then stopped riding because all the soccer moms trying to kill me

Jilted exes?

They wish.
Just the area I travel is filled with soccer moms with more money than brains

my best friend used to be in the top 3 canadian motocross racers in the late 70's early 80's... he says he really wishes for todays suspension systems in the bikes of his day.. 14" front and back was unheard of... he says his knees wouldn't be so problematic today if he had better bikes.

Dieselbeef... if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll take you up on the offer... your bike probably has 50% more power than mine, and most likely is 50% lighter too... this thing is over 300 lbs wet. The way I look at it is if I get on someone's 250 it'll feel like nothing under me

yeah thats true..it makes a 250 or even todays 450 seem tiny..which they really are...my bike has about 65-68 hp. im gonna say the weight is about 220 lbs. its a handful. im usually replacing the rear fender and the reat tire bout the same time...

why are you changing the rear fender?? from taking a wheelie a little too far?

I've never been any good at wheelies, but with this bike (45 HP, 300 lbs), it has the balls to do one just rolling onto the throttle in 2nd, so I might be able to get the hang of it better than on a bike that requires a clutch drop from full throttle. my rear tire is down to about 1/4" of tread in the center so it's not too grippy anymore, next one I'm going to get a hard compound designed for running in crushed rock so it'll hopefully stand up a little better

yep..itll loop on ya before ya know it...it hits that powerband and yer on yer a$$ if ya aint ready. with a new rear tire its even worse. i can wear out a tire in the sand in one summer..chain and sprockets too...

open class mx bikes are sick...i love it!

gary

Latest posts