big bore thumper bikes... and kickstarting them

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought my bike at the end of july and it had 75% tread on the back tire, I putzed around for the first month, but I took it on a 60 mile ride on a gravel road that had a lot of deep crossditches, which I powered over in 3rd, I'm down to about 10% tread already. I want to get a really hard compound designed for shale and rock next time, it's gonna be turning the tire a lot and the tire better be tough enough to not shred itself.

as for starting your bike... try this if it doesn't have a decomp..

Put it in gear and roll it backwards until the engine compression stops it, and kick it over from there with no throttle. What happens is that since the carb is closed, and you can get some momentum going, it draws a vacuum, which means the cylinder doesn't completely fill with air, and the idle circuit of the carb also works pretty well. All in all it makes it way easier to start. I only use the decomp on my bike to get it to the right spot. As you can see in the vid I don't need to work to get it started... Of course if the bike is a PITA to start anyhow, it's probably not going to help much.

Humour me and try it, let me know how it works out for you

ah man im good..i can get it goin with at the most 2 kicks. bring the piston up. jump up and crack the throttle just a bit. i can get it goin. the running joke is everyone wants to ride it. i tell em if they can start it they can ride it..like i said..so far..no one has been able to get it going..so they ride the banshee instead. sissys i say.
my bike has no decomp on it...i wiegh 225 and the compression alone will hold me up on the kickstarter. its all about momentum.

When I got my bike I was thinking to myself I'll never use it as a get-around bike since I had too much trouble with it being hard to start... well, it's my get-around bike now since my XR 100 needs a new tire and clutch lever. I had my dad ride it last week for the first time... god I have never laughed so hard.. he kept it in 1st the whole way up from the field, and of course in first the throttle is super sensitive... he was weaving back and forth, lurching. I had my giggles at his expense for once.

Latest posts