Best Zero Turn mower out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

I went thru a variety of manufacturers to end up with a 60" Hustler for a lake property we own. This ground has steep inclines and the Hustler handled them with out a hitch. It is a commercial grade machine and built like a tank, very dependable and fast. Not cheap. I would buy it again in a heart beat.

jltrent said:
The decks are a lot heavier on the commercial grade, a commercial grade will cost twice as much. Also Google model before you buy will tell.

A big difference with the decks will be the cheap ones are stamped and the good ones are welded

A big difference with the decks will be the cheap ones are stamped and the good ones are welded
[/quote]

Not entirely true. Equipment to stamp out a large mower deck from 7ga steel is simply cost prohibiting to some manufacturers.

I've owned a JD Z960a for going on four years now. Large Kawasaki engine and she's a beast. 300 plus hours and I replaced clutch last Fall and mower engaging switch (my fault for being to rough) and a sensor. JD, Scagg and Feris made my list when researching my purchase in the Midwest. Bought the JD from commercial guy upgrading to Ferris for a smoother ride. One thing that was consistently recommended was not going to the 72" deck - simply too much wear and difficult navigation for most acreages.

Cut my mowing time in half buying some electric fence and a few sheep. They'll mow in the rain and don't tear up the yard, but pretty sure my wife would put her foot down if I try going into the front yard.

M-5 said:
if your looking for deals, Try to find one that needs a new motor . You can repower one for around a 1000.00 bucks , Also some lawn companies will upgrade every couple years and you can get a maintained machine for a lot less but as with any used expect to have repair bills. Like I stated before , I have to put a new clutch on mine , it was 200 bucks , belts runs around 60 bucks each and it cost about 40 bucks on every blade change.

Keep an eye out on ebay. Couple of years ago I repowered a BS V twin 18 at $600 and a 20 at $700, free shipping, both were replacements for single cylinder machines (JD L110, Husq. 46, both conventional riders). Seems OEMs finish a production run on equipment and have engines (since we are on that subject) left over. New, never been run, somebody grabs up the lot and makes a little money. You can tell they are right off the assy line as to mount an aluminum case to the 10" circular bolt pattern (designed by mower mfgrs. to accept singles or V twins) one uses a self tapping screw....no threads in the casting if it hasn't ever been installed.

E bay even had the mufflers to fit them. Mufflers are rugged suckers so don't be afraid to get a used one and a couple of new gaskets.....run about 50 bucks.

On the single to V twin conversion, the only thing that doesn't fit is the choke and throttle cables as the single carb is on the left side and the twin around front. ebay had that too. Got a pair of JD controls, orange and black levers, that mounted easily to the plastic housing to the left of the steering wheel....about 25 bucks ea..

Electrical hook ups are exact. No changes required. Fuel too.

greybeard said:
My beefmasters can turn on a dime and leave no blade of grass untouched...

Er ah, what about the blades they stomped into the ground along with their hoof print......Grin

Too far away but here is an example of a used mower. Same factory that makes the bad boy.
https://amzn.to/2SLO4kW

hurleyjd said:
Too far away but here is an example of a used mower. Same factory that makes the bad boy.

I click on that link and it takes me to a truck bed unloader... :lol: Maybe you copied the link wrong?

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
hurleyjd said:

I click on that link and it takes me to a truck bed unloader... :lol: Maybe you copied the link wrong?

Yep I messed up it was a link from the local Craigslist for a used SPARTAN Zero turn for $3500 with low hours. The price was a little less tan $1000 for used. Find the closet Craigslist in your area and do a search for zero turn mowers if it is like it is here there will be a ton of them listed. A lot of low hour machines.

I did a tremendous amount of research and test drives. My 4 acres is extremely rough, Because of that I bought a Ferris 2100 60 inch. This unit has fully independent suspension like a car. It is amazing, cut my mow time in half because you can mow at full speed

Any information on the JD Z665 with a 60 inch deck? We found one at the JD dealer for $2900, it is a 2013 and has 578 hours on it. Seems to start fine and runs....
Just checking if anyone has experience with it?

https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_us/products/zero-turn-mowers.html

Demo'd JD, Kubota, Cub Cadet and 1 other one. Ferris by far and away was best ride. Best at mowing tall wet grass at a high speed. I couldn't handle the price tag but buddy mine bought one. Had 0 issues and loves it. Ferris guys around here bring it out and let you demo it. Other brands were not so eager to do that.........

snoopdog said:
I guess if you're gonna spend the ghila, kubota or grasshopper. The hustler z is used a lot around here, I think they are lower end in price, The Big dog comes highly recomended to me, and you have a few dealers in your area, I have only used a jd, not mine, and it was a good mower. I may be buying one myself.

My cub cadet is 14 years old and still humming, that said my son just bought a Kubota very impressive.
I will have to seriously look at Kubota when the times come.

M-5 said:
if your looking for deals, Try to find one that needs a new motor . You can repower one for around a 1000.00 bucks , Also some lawn companies will upgrade every couple years and you can get a maintained machine for a lot less but as with any used expect to have repair bills. Like I stated before , I have to put a new clutch on mine , it was 200 bucks , belts runs around 60 bucks each and it cost about 40 bucks on every blade change.

That is very true. The professional guys will repower a Scag two or three times because you cant hardly wear out the frames and decks.

I bought a bad boy a few weeks ago, with a kohler, we'll see. They are well made it seems, first new piece of equipment, and the boss gets to run it!

Bad Boy Mowers, I just bought 11 commercial units last year the best mower my maintenance people have used. My organization has used exmark, grasshopper, kubota, JD. IMO for the money best out there. we went with Gas over deisel because of cost. we plan on keeping for 7 years then replacing. we average about 350 to 400 hrs a year per mower.

As thomoos said, for the money, I go with bad-boy. Had an older one that never gave a bit of trouble. It was probably 10 years old, sold it and bought a new one last year.

I have only had 2 ZTRs in the last 17 years, 1st was a very early Bushhog M 2561 (serial # 00022), Last year I bought a BadBoy Outlaw XP, 27 hp Kaw engine, 72" deck, its 3 X the mower of Bushhog. I wish I had bought the 61" deck, but I got a better deal on the 72, slow mover he said.

Latest posts