Best tasting beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Does Aaron Franklin's count?
I never said it was not good, but there is pork that is every bit as good.
I was messing with you since you told me that about pulled pork. 😄

My problem is I have family and friends that make some great brisket, ribs, BBQ chicken, steaks (pork and beef), pork butts, etc. Them Bohemians can cook some meat and they will do it on a square pit with tin sides that the fire is on the ground inside it. My dad can bbq some great checken on an old sqaure pit that was my grandfathers, on my moms side. Once you eat good food like that... it's hard to go to a restaurant. They can't make money cooking it slow like you need to.

... and yes, I've eaten all the Luling/ Lockhart places on tv. It's good... but not the same.

Closest you will come to it is a church picnic some where.

Sous vide alone deletes the Maillard reaction, which is a centuries old and essential process for bringing out the full flavors of any meat and even breads. It's not the same as caramelization, but somewhat similar.
I suppose ne could sous vide, then drop it on a hot grill or pan for the MR, but what would be the point when a grilling or pan charring meat does the same thing in minutes.
Sous vide makes it easy to get the perfect temp on thick steaks. It's really hard to cook a 2" steak properly without burning the outside or leaving the inside raw.

Sous vide makes it easy to get the perfect temp on thick steaks. It's really hard to cook a 2" steak properly without burning the outside or leaving the inside raw.

It takes some practice to get the time down but I what I do is basically smoke the steak low for around an hour, then get the fire hot and sear it.

2" ribeye

5C69AA56-705C-42BB-AD74-B51D120CF48D.jpeg

Closest you will come to it is a church picnic some where.
That is sort of like the 4-H chicken I had as a teen. I finally chased down the recipe for the mix they sprayed on the 100's of quarters they made as it cooked over the coals. They turned it with the big wire things that they turn whole hogs with. It was the best I have ever had.

Breed has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of a steak. Aging, marinading, seasoning and how it is cooked is what makes a good steak. I will not use a gas grill, and pellet grills are used by dudes who drink White Claw. I always use mesquite for beef and chicken, hickory for pork. Our local Kroger has a "manager's section" in the meat department, where they have marked down items that are close to going out of date. if a steak starts turning the least brown, they put it in there and buy it. I will cook it in the next few days, and marinate it at room temperature for a few hours before I grill it. That being said, the best tasting, tenderest steak I ever had was in 1980, cooked on an open fire by a safari cook, cut from an old Cape buffalo bull I shot the day before. Leaving camp way before sun-up, and stalking maybe 10-12 hours a day, some days nearly 20 miles, in 100 degree heat for 10 days, may have had a lot do with the way that 2 lb steak tasted, though. :)
There is nothing better than downing tasty ice cold white claw beverages whilst wearing flip flops, the kind with the strap between the big and second toe, manning the pellet grill. Best way to prepare an impossible burger, hands down. Every once in a while indulging in a Virginia slim 120 really makes it special. It's just what real men do.

That has seemed to be the story I've heard a lot from folks that have bought the show type pigs. If I ever get the nerve up to fatten a few hogs, I'm going into the mountains here and buying pigs from folks that have been breeding their own stock, from more heritage type hogs.
2FF46555-8123-4EDC-BC3C-F24EEA02EF72.png
These are pork chops from a hog we bought from a friend, they are a heritage breed called large black. He raises them in the woods with minimal feed. That fat melts in your mouth like butter. I'm not a fan at f store bought pork chops, no flavor. But these are as close to eating a rib steak as you can get.

I always have a big shindig at my place memorial weekend, usually crawfish one meal and pork butts another. This year I wasn't able to get crawfish so I boiled 5 lbs jumbo shrimp with corn, sausage, potatoes,onions and lemons (low country boil) and the other I smoked a beef chuck roast and some beef ribs from one of our own steers. The shrimp was a hit but everyone raved more about the smoked chuck roast, I smoked it about 6 hours to an internal temp of 180 and it had a real good bark on it as well. By the time it was said and done it was probably more of a medium than medium rare but it was awesome.

It was someone who looked just like you who said, "This side pork was cut so THICK it's just awful" That is a stand alone declarative sentence.
Your statement implies the side pork is awful because it was cut THICK. Owing to the fact, you expressed an opinion the side pork was awful
because it was cut thick I brought up the subject of the knife. Always glad to help.. Now you raise the question, You smoke side pork before
breakfast? You are an early riser!
The side pork is like the old Powder River saying, "too thick to drink and too thin to plow."😄
It's hard to cook because it has been sliced so thick. Impossible to get it crisp as I like it.
As to it being awful, it's tasteless. So I put a lot of seasoning on it. It is nowhere like I like
my side pork. So we do what we can with it. Disappointing. Or maybe we are too fussy and not grateful enough to have it.

Sometimes I get up early enough to smoke it before breakfast. Only takes 45 minutes to smoke it, takes awhile to get the smoker to temperature. I smoke it at 225 or 250.

It takes some practice to get the time down but I what I do is basically smoke the steak low for around an hour, then get the fire hot and sear it.

2" ribeye

View attachment 17800
Definitely would enjoy that.. our steaks are cut about 3/4-1"thick which makes them easier/faster to cook.
Since we pan fry, I found the key is to turn it 2-3 times, sear one side partially, then flip so it doesn't lift the corners, then back to the first side for the actual cooking, flip once more when you're getting close

Has anyone tried Holstein x Wagyu ? Have a heifer on grass that spouse bought as whoops purchase.
Decent to eat?
Can't say as far as grass finished, although Holstein doesn't seem like the ideal type and kind to finish on grass to me.
I have friends that as long as they had a dairy they fed out their Holstein steers for themselves and sold the rest as fats ready to process.
From everything I've heard well finished Holstein is good meat. Not been around or heard anyone that has finished out any Waygus, but it's supposed to fine eating experience.

My grass finished heifer turned out great. Plenty of fat. This is the 2nd time I've had grass finish come out better than grain.

You would think after having this farm for 17 years I would have my sh*t together a little better but I can't stop "tweaking" stuff.

Granted, I've never had brisket in TX, but good pork bbq sliced or chopped is hard to beat.
I will say though that I was once pretty disappointed in North Carolina pulled pork. Their idea of bbq sauce was straight vinegar.
Texas is a big state, as anyone who lives here will tell you at the least provocation. We do have good brisket here but I've had some of the worst tasting, toughest poor excuse for brisket here just the same. One place we eat regularly could easily pass their brisket for under done pot roast but their pork ribs are wonderful. I get some of the best BBQ brisket, pulled pork and ribs at little places that would go out of business pretty quick if they didn't serve good food. Still the best BBQ comes from my own Rube Goldberg contraption of a smoker.