Best tasting beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
TT enjoys telling me how Angus is the best beef. Candidly, my horse is not entered in that race. But I found this article. Notice that it states there is no research that proves which breed of beef tastes the best but the survey which includes a large Universe of data suggests Angus is at the bottom of the breeds tested.

Here is an excerpt. Brahman is first. TT, don't get banned over this. Lol:

First how the breeds ranked:

However, a few studies by some researchers tends to show that abundantly marbled steak from the following eight beef cattle breeds would rank for taste in the following order:

Brahman
Gelbvieh
Limousin
Charolais
Hereford
Simmental
Angus
Red Angus

Again. Read the entire article. The data was adjusted and the authors state that it is not conclusive. Here is the statement:

We ascribe little confidence to this ranking and are aware that a 900 marbling score for a Brahman steer is extremely rare.  However, these Adjusted Rankings tend to suggest that a steak from a Brahman steer with a 900 marbling score may achieve a significantly higher taste score than a similar steak from a Red Angus steer.  

http://steakperfection.blogspot.com/2011/03/question-which-breed-tastes-best.html?m=1

As far as taste corn fed beef is the best tasting and most tender regardless od breed. I fed my old roping steers for years. A mix of breeds but mostly Corriente and Longhorn. Had a waiting list for a beef every year. They were all fed on straight corn till they were flat between their front legs. They were as good as any beef I've ever ate.

BR,
This does seem like you are trying to troll the board a bit this morning.
I like how you mention "the data was adjusted" as if what they did was ok, haha.
I think NEF is correct. Raise your own, grill your own, eat your own. Hands down the best. :)

I agree with the post that stated that corn finished beef is best tasting. I think it has more to do with finishing than breed. That being said some breeds will as a whole marble better than others. In my opinion marbling even though it is used as a standard in grading, doesn't provide the whole positive eating experience. That is where preparation comes in. For example lesser marbled cuts of roasts, can be fork tender after being cooked at a lower temperature, for an extended length of time. When grilling a steak at high temperatures, marbling gives a slight cushion on time as those cuts need to be cooked faster.
This is a subject that interests me greatly, as we raise our own beef. Thus far we have only done 2 an Angus and a Hereford. For the record, both have been very good, with little difference in taste, although admittedly if I had to absolutely pick which was best I would probably say the Angus just by a narrow margin. There again it could just be the individual animal or degree of finish more so than breed.
Years ago we had a young Charolais bull to break his shoulder after being out only a month with cows.
we kept him up and fed him for several months hoping that he may heal up and be usable again but that didn't happen. A friend got him and had him processed his remark was that it was the best he had ever had. I am pretty confident that if it would have been otherwise he would have been honest about it that way as well.

It's all relative!
Everything is quantifiable in terms of individual taste, perception or opinion. We all have different opinions with regards to this subject :p

I confess, I was pushing back some at my good friend TT. However, IMO, this is a topic that has merit. Taste is difficult to quantify and qualify. Even carcass quality is subject to "preferences". At least carcass quality has a set of criteria that many agree on. It is these criteria that carcass contests are decided.

If anyone else has some good information on taste, please share it. The article I posted actually only has one conclusion - there is no research to prove which breed has the best tasting rib steak.

Bright Raven said:
I confess, I was pushing back some at my good friend TT. However, IMO, this is a topic that has merit. Taste is difficult to quantify and qualify. Even carcass quality is subject to "preferences". At least carcass quality has a set of criteria that many agree on. It is these criteria that carcass contests are decided.

If anyone else has some good information on taste, please share it. The article I posted actually only has one conclusion - there is no research to prove which breed has the best tasting rib steak.
I think taste has more to do with feed long as it has some marbling to it. I'm eating a 3 year old Holstein cow at the moment. Her tenderloins melt in your mouth. The hamburger has great taste and just the right amount of fat. She was a nickel fat being open and not milking much. Fed TMR milk cow ration.

For a steer I prefer a dry corn hard fed steer and to butcher him before they get overdone. Little more age to than what a typical feed yard does.

Son of Butch said:
NEFarmwife said:
Best tasting beef is a smoked one that you raised. :)
Artificial flavoring agents like fire (and smoke) should be banned in flavor tests.
Steak Tartar with a little salt and pepper should be the gold standard in determining flavor. :)

I don't know that I could ever go back to a steak not smoked. Ever.

My kids are always "ugh, steaks AGAIN?!" I grew up on 70/30 hamburger and hamburger helper. These kids have no idea how good they have it. Culture shock when they go off to college, that's for sure.

Bright Raven said:
We are aware .... that a 900 marbling score for a Brahman steer is extremely rare. 
However, these Adjusted Rankings tend to suggest that a steak from a Brahman steer with a
900 marbling score may achieve a significantly higher taste score than a similar steak from a Red Angus steer.  
Seems they're saying a Wagyu bull on Brahman cows might be the ticket.

Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
We are aware .... that a 900 marbling score for a Brahman steer is extremely rare. 
However, these Adjusted Rankings tend to suggest that a steak from a Brahman steer with a
900 marbling score may achieve a significantly higher taste score than a similar steak from a Red Angus steer.  

That is exactly what came to my mind.

I am not too picky on the breed issue but I am on what goes in the freezer.

Love it when now and then a 5 year old cow does not have a calf. Leave her on grass all summer and put her in the freezer in October.

You will not be disappointed.

Best to all.

I notice the list doesn't include what, in my experience, is the finest tasting of all beef, well finished dairy or dairy cross beef. They're not as economical, but man, are they tender and tasty!

Brahman is a great tasting beef. You can tell the difference between Angus and Brahman. Each has its own merits but if you were raised eating Brahman beef Angus will taste more like hot dog. It's hard to describe.

Logar said:
I am not too picky on the breed issue but I am on what goes in the freezer.

Love it when now and then a 5 year old cow does not have a calf. Leave her on grass all summer and put her in the freezer in October.

You will not be disappointed.

Best to all.

I'm butchering a 5yr old cow in early winter, but she will have just weaned a calf. She gets a couple pounds of grain daily along with all my cows. How would you recommend having her cut up?

Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
Just last week a group of purebred Wagyu heifers showed up on east Texas craigslist. Old enough and larger enough to breed. price $1750 per.

Latest posts