Best Lap Dog?

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
The wife is wanting a lap dog. Said dog must not do the things that an English Bulldog does except eat, drink and breathe. We have no experience with those types of dogs so any good suggestions are welcome?

slick4591":3j5s4bbg said:
The wife is wanting a lap dog. Said dog must not do the things that an English Bulldog does except eat, drink and breathe. We have no experience with those types of dogs so any good suggestions are welcome?

I own three dogs - a couple of very friendly and obediant giant collie / shepherd mutts, a five month old and super smart border collie pup and unfortunately - my daughters lap dog - her fourth lap dog since she was a kid - is "boarding" here. Each lap dog she has owned has been a different breed. This one lives here while she studies nursing.

I am also in the market for a couple of Akbash dogs for predator protection.

So I do not dislike dogs.

The lap dog breed does not matter - in the end they really are all the same.

I am sure there will be a few who are not happy with my response - and I bet there are many that will either secretly or openly agree with me - so - here goes.

A good lap dog? Right!

Find one that does not yap at the drop of a feather and holler for three hours straight, one that does not crap on the floor, one that does not bite, one that can be trusted to not chew up anything that is left on the floor when you go to the next room, one that will not climb on the furniture, one that does not climb up on MY lap when I visit, one that actually listens rather than tells you to eff off because EVERYONE thinks "that is just so cute" - and finally - one that actually knows when to stop peeing on the floor.

I do not think there are very many - and you know I hear it all the time - "S/he does not bark all that much!" or "My dog is not like your typical lap dog".

As a visitor - trust me - your dog is EXACTLY like the typical lap dog - or possibly WORSE! LOL

The only person who can never see it - and will never believe it - is the dammed owner.

I have yet to meet a good lap dog.

Get a dog that has not had the brains bred out of it - and I have yet to meet a "morkie" or "pookie" or "snuffles" or "pinkie" or "muffie" that meets that requirement.

Next lap dog that hits this property gets shot before it makes it to the front door - and I am not kidding.

When this thing is finally gone - never again will one cast a shadow on my kitchen floor. Even if it is my daughter's dog.

If it is that wonderful a dog, I am sure someone else would be more than happy to take it. That way, they too can learn the joys of lap dogs.

Good luck my friend - you will need it. And do not say I did not warn you.

Merry Christmas!

Bez

My daughters lap dog fits your description except the peeing. Hes a spoiled rotten, mean, self serving beast.And hes ugly to boot.
Oddly we'd all miss him if he was gone.
Hes a chihuahua -- I wouldn't recommend that breed

I have met several Pappillons that were really nice dogs-- kinda reminded me of a minature Border Collie without the herding instincts. Very smart ,energetic and desire to please. they didn't bark much either.
My son had a Feist(squirrel hunting bred) that was very small- but had no small dog tendencies. He was faithful and very protective of the kids.

slick4591":146f8wrs said:

Rat Terrier. Best small dog ever. and they will tear someone a new a$$ if they are provoked.

Thanks for the comments! Gotta get her to read Bez's comment for sure. Maybe I can escape this thought she has. (Yeah right.) Still welcoming thoughts.

One of the snuggliest lap dogs I ever saw was a neighbors Great Dane, it just took a HUGE lap

My boxer, who happens to be the biggest boxer I have ever seen, just cannot understand why he can't sit in daddy's easy chair with me.

My dog use to be a great lap dog, but since a recent Oregon Duck loss she doesn't seem as friendly. :?

If you really want a good dog, I promise that this is the best way to go about it. Go to the local shelter. Look around until you find a young one that you can't figure out what breed it is (mutts are the healthiest by far). Second, observe that it is happy to see you- yet controlable. Third, get one that is under a year of age. Go home, feed it, and make it mind. Make sure it knows it is a dog and you are not. If it is aggressive toward a child in the slightest way, don't break it, but whack it with a rolled up newspaper until you think it got the message, then a couple more times just for good measure- Usually only required once.

Don't go buy one of the multi-thousand dollar, designer genetic defects with a personality disorder that are being released upon the public.

Thanks, but she was wanting a puppy. In the past we've had much better luck with dogs that we were able to raise ourselves. But that does jog my mind that we could look for a puppy there.

Chihuahuas are great little dogs. Many people are biased because they don't know the breed. We had one for 14 years, my brother has one that he got through a chihuahua rescue and I have friends who have them. My brother is the last person you would expect to have a chihuahua. They are smart little dogs.
Ours, Twiggy was smart around the livestock and was well mannered. The only thing that you really need to be careful about is letting them outside after dark if you have owls in the area. An owl will pick one off in a heartbeat. My friend lost one that way. Whoosh! no dog :(

Our little dog is a poodle cross mutt. She is smart and doesn't shed. She is the ranch manager.

Take your time and you will find the right little dog.

I had a 100 lb yellow laborador retriever that thought he was a lap dog. He would start with 1 paw, and see what I would say, then the second paw, then the head, then body and he would S L O W L Y place his back paws up until he was completely in my lap. He would wait inbetween each step just to see how much I would tolerate. Then if he made it all the way he would put his head on my shoulder and stick his cold nose on my neck and stay that way for as long as I would let him. Labs are great dogs. I have had 4 over the years but the big yellow lab was like a friend. He had to be put down at 14 years old. Went blind, deaf and broken down in the hips.

Chihuahuas are out. I've never been around one that wasn't yapping and wanting to stay at your heels even when the owner was trying to intervene. I know, probably a lot of the owners fault. I've had a black lab, Hoss, and he was a great one. Stayed outside, tho and not what my 4' 11' wife would want inching its way into her lap. :lol:

slick4591":2cyhrs1d said:
Chihuahuas are out. I've never been around one that wasn't yapping and wanting to stay at your heels even when the owner was trying to intervene. I know, probably a lot of the owners fault. I've had a black lab, Hoss, and he was a great one. Stayed outside, tho and not what my 4' 11' wife would want inching its way into her lap. :lol:

My wife is also 4' 11" slick. That lab would try his best to get in her lap too......he was bigger than she was as she didn't quite weigh 100 lbs.

Yes. it is the owner's fault. I think that people put up with bad behavior because the dog is tiny and cute. If it were a big dog, they wouldn't tolerate it. My friend who has two works at the State Supported Living Center (used to be called state schools - the homes for the mentally retarded.) Her two dogs are used as therapy dogs there. They will lay in the person's lap for petting, or if the person wants the dog to play, the dog will do so.

I really think that most small dog problems are the owner. We show horses and horse show people take their dogs with them. They won't put up with a yappy dog. Pomeranians and mini dachshunds are popular. I've always wanted a dachshund but my husband will not pay for a dog.

Ditto what Chippie said. Terrible dogs are made, not bred, for the most part. We were gifted with a Pomeranian and other than a little yappy he was a great little dog. He could never refrain from yapping when someone came, but he did learn to stifle it when we told him enough. Very smart and trainable. They don't have that "I live to please you" attitude like a lab or lots of other dogs, but you can find their motivation be it food or play and train them.

TennesseeTuxedo":254hwj50 said:
We have a pure breed black toy Poodle and I wouldn't trade her for anything. Great little dog and very smart to boot!

it's hard to make a mistake with a toy poodle. i don't know of anyone that can help but get attached to one. you'll be a big hit with your wife......

Latest posts