Belted Dutch cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Buckaroo

Reaction score
I believe they were advertised as belted dutch cows. I may have found someone with this type of cattle selling off what they have. I was wondering what these cattle are like and would their calves always have the belt if bred to something like an angus bull or terminally bred to something like a charolais bull.

That belt is hard to breed off. I have seen some Belted Galloway's bred to a Charolais that came out gray with a white belt.

A purebred dutch belted cow should throw 100% belted calves. The belt pattern is believed to be controlled by a single autosomal dominant gene, so they only need one copy to have the belt. A Beltedcross cow will have 50% belted and 50% non-belted offspring. It works just like the black colour gene.
They may be a dairy breed but I've heard first hand reports of their performance; it seems they have no problem staying fat on grass, and they wean big calves because of their high milk production. They are an 'undeveloped' dairy breed, so they have less frame than most dairy cows and when bred to a muscled continental they make a nice looking cow. If you don't mind the colouring.

BC":1l1u5my7 said:
That belt is hard to breed off. I have seen some Belted Galloway's bred to a Charolais that came out gray with a white belt.
Or a yellow cow with a white belt. I personally seen a dark white cow with light white belt (Charolais x Belted Galloway)

ken":16yr101a said:
A purebred dutch belted cow should throw 100% belted calves. The belt pattern is believed to be controlled by a single autosomal dominant gene, so they only need one copy to have the belt. A Beltedcross cow will have 50% belted and 50% non-belted offspring. It works just like the black colour gene.
They may be a dairy breed but I've heard first hand reports of their performance; it seems they have no problem staying fat on grass, and they wean big calves because of their high milk production. They are an 'undeveloped' dairy breed, so they have less frame than most dairy cows and when bred to a muscled continental they make a nice looking cow. If you don't mind the colouring.
I may not have Dutch Belted cattle here but I do have belted galloway crosses here as I can tell you that a belted gene is dominant....but it's pretty much gamble to see if the cows will have a belted calf or not. Some come out as half belted/spotted, some white bellied, some perfect belted and some solid. I bred my registered Belted Galloway cow to a black angus bull and she ended up with a solid calf but that was the last solid calf she had as the rest of her calves were always belted or half belted. Have two belted crossbred cows that has never had a belted calf as they have their 5th & 6th calf on their side but then again it's been three years since last belted calf was born and I have 7 belties here.

These days most Dutch Belted cattle were upgrading by cross them to Holstein for more milk production and large size so it's hard to find a true Dutch Belted cattle.

Dutch Belted cows are rare, some say less then 300 cows left in the US. I would say 90% of the time, if you are looking at a "belted cow" its a Belted Galloway. Some 200+ years ago people started useing Dutch belted bulls on Galloway cows to add milk production to a beef cow, this is the birth of the Belted Galloway. A "BeuLingo" cow is an attempt to do the same thing with Angus cows.

Grass-Fed":2b8ysdq4 said:
Dutch Belted cows are rare, some say less then 300 cows left in the US. I would say 90% of the time, if you are looking at a "belted cow" its a Belted Galloway. Some 200+ years ago people started useing Dutch belted bulls on Galloway cows to add milk production to a beef cow, this is the birth of the Belted Galloway. A "BeuLingo" cow is an attempt to do the same thing with Angus cows.
Not really, Buelingos had mixed breeds in them, not just Angus. Chis, Shorthorns, Highlands, Belted Galloway, Limousin, Herefords and Charolais were mentioned.

I have a customer that used to have a few. They never really set the world on fire for production but they kept up with lower end jerseys.
Taurus service genetics out of Pennslvania used to carry a few dutch belt bulls but I have no idea if they still do.

cow pollinater":3rxat3p8 said:
I have a customer that used to have a few. They never really set the world on fire for production but they kept up with lower end jerseys.
Taurus service genetics out of Pennslvania used to carry a few dutch belt bulls but I have no idea if they still do.
Dutch Belted cattle seems that they were never popular with large scale dairy farmers and from what I read up, they don't give much milk like other dairy breeds which that could be an explaination for upgrading the dutch belted cattle with Holsteins and Jerseys...to increases milk production. That's why I seen some Dutch Belted cattle with white feet, a sign of crossbreeding with Holstein lately. The Dutch Belted cattle do allright on beef production unlike most dairy breeds.

The cows that I was around were super fine boned. No meat to them at all. I think if they were a little stronger they'de have been better dairy cows but they were just to frail.

cow pollinater":31l580wt said:
The cows that I was around were super fine boned. No meat to them at all. I think if they were a little stronger they'de have been better dairy cows but they were just to frail.
Interesting, the ones I saw weren't super fine boned and they were a little fleshier than their Holstein penmates. The Dutch Belted steers looks better than Holstein steers. This DB x Holstein steers at a local sale barn was sold for $1.25 per pound.

beltie.jpg

cow pollinater":1d9dh2wz said:
Looks like a belted galloway... Not the same thing as a dutch belt.
They weren't belted galloway, they came from a dairy farm that has Dutch Belted cows as I sat by the owner of the steers told me. They were out of Dutch Belted cows and sired by a Holstein bull.

Taurus":3pxky243 said:
They were out of Dutch Belted cows and sired by a Holstein bull.
It is a bit disapointing to know that people are useing other then Dutch Belted Bulls on Dutch Belted cows.
If you look at the Dutch Belted website http://www.dutchbelted.com/Breeding Up.html you will read that becouse of the shortage of pure Dutch Belted cows, crossing of DB's should be done with DB Bulls. I know a breader of pure DB cows who is selling 7 month old DB helfers for $2000 bucks each, there half-brothers for $750 for breeding bulls, and 5 and 7 year old proven cows for 4-7K.
DB cows can produce cows as old as 15 years. They are high and with the low cost of AI I dont know why someone would use anything but the best sire on a high priced cow.

Taurus":3pxky243 said:
they don't give much milk like other dairy breeds which that could be an explaination for upgrading the dutch belted cattle with Holsteins and Jerseys...to increases milk production.
You have it backwords, people use DB bulls on other dairy cows. DB's have higher butter fat then Holsteins and produce a bigger steer then Jersey. Head to head DB vs Jersey on a grass only diet, the DB will out produce the Jersey on total milk, butter fat content, and raise a larger calf. Once you drink milk with higher butter fat, you just just cant drink factory rasied Holstein milk...

just my :2cents:
Jason

Grass-Fed":7694seow said:
Taurus":7694seow said:
They were out of Dutch Belted cows and sired by a Holstein bull.
It is a bit disapointing to know that people are useing other then Dutch Belted Bulls on Dutch Belted cows.
If you look at the Dutch Belted website http://www.dutchbelted.com/Breeding Up.html you will read that becouse of the shortage of pure Dutch Belted cows, crossing of DB's should be done with DB Bulls. I know a breader of pure DB cows who is selling 7 month old DB helfers for $2000 bucks each, there half-brothers for $750 for breeding bulls, and 5 and 7 year old proven cows for 4-7K.
DB cows can produce cows as old as 15 years. They are high and with the low cost of AI I dont know why someone would use anything but the best sire on a high priced cow.

Taurus":7694seow said:
they don't give much milk like other dairy breeds which that could be an explaination for upgrading the dutch belted cattle with Holsteins and Jerseys...to increases milk production.
You have it backwords, people use DB bulls on other dairy cows. DB's have higher butter fat then Holsteins and produce a bigger steer then Jersey. Head to head DB vs Jersey on a grass only diet, the DB will out produce the Jersey on total milk, butter fat content, and raise a larger calf. Once you drink milk with higher butter fat, you just just cant drink factory rasied Holstein milk...

just my :2cents:
Jason
Noticed that I don't say upgrade the breed by breeding DB bulls to other dairy cows? It's still crossbreeding and the crossbreds are still using as a milking cow. Even the registered Dutch Belted cows has a dash of holstein and jersey in them and there are lots of crossbreds than purebred DB cattle out there on dairy operations.

Just because of that specific Dutch Belted cow's a high priced cow, doesn't mean all Dutch Belted cattle were high priced and it doesn't seems that both crossbreds and purebreds are popular with most dairy farmers. You can find a cheap Dutch Belted cow around here and there...around $900 to $1,200 depends on the weight. Many years ago while I was looking for a belted cow for the showring as 4-H and FFA project, I met few belted cattle owners that has Dutch Belted cows running with the beef mixed breed cows. You cannot mistake these cows for Belted Galloway with their large size, big udders and the dairy features. I don't know why they have these Dutch Belted cows on their commerical operations but I ended up with a registered Belted Galloway heifer instead of these Dutch Belted cattle.

Latest posts