Beginner breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Is the 6 acres by any chance flood irrigated? That will boost the possible stocking rate a good deal.

CPLReed":1mvdubyq said:
CPL":1mvdubyq said:
With only six acres, maybe sheep or goats would better suited? Goats, especially boer goats seem to be growing in popularity here in the US.

So do you think 6 acres is too small, even for a very small herd of miniatures?

Just depends on what you want to do. Feedlots can put hundreds of cattle on 6 acres.

djinwa":1xy8li73 said:
CPLReed":1xy8li73 said:
CPL":1xy8li73 said:
With only six acres, maybe sheep or goats would better suited? Goats, especially boer goats seem to be growing in popularity here in the US.

So do you think 6 acres is too small, even for a very small herd of miniatures?

Just depends on what you want to do. Feedlots can put hundreds of cattle on 6 acres.

Yeah I really don't think that's happening here... :?

I like the idea of raising a few steers. That way you can get a feel for how your place would handle cattle, and you could make some changes etc.

My suggestion about the sheep/goats was just on the idea that you could do more with them on 6 acres than you could with cattle.

What do you want to do with them? Eat them, sell the meat, send to market, just look at them? That determines what you should get. Miniature cattle are good if you just want to look at them but you need to look at the market. At an auction the calves won't do that well (at least they wouldn't here). There could be a niche market on their meat -smaller cuts that some older empty nesters like.I As far as the breed- there are nice and wild in every breed. I would look at smaller British breeds- and at smaller frame scores in those breeds - Red Angus, Angus, Shorthorn or Hereford. See what sells well in your area. Look at your market first. Then go to a place with a quiet herd and see if they can set you up. I am partial to Red Angus, or I wouldn't own them. I think they are good cows for a first timer - calve easily, good pain tolerance and easy to train.

Latest posts