Beginner breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

CPLReed

Reaction score
I am trying to get into the cattle business and I am researching breeds that are good for first timers. I was looking into miniature/small cattle breeds. Maybe a dexter? or? anyone have an references?

just find smAller frame score cattle in any breed i have raised angus charolais and hereford cattle over the years the hereford seem to be the quietest of the three with the angus a close second also both breeds cross well and are very fertile charolais are good growing cattle but not as easy going as the other breeds mentioned jmo David

not sure where your located but jovid on here has red polls and in a lot of ways they are very similar to the other english breeds i bought a my first red poll bull this spring and he is as quiet as any bull i have ever owned David

With only six acres, maybe sheep or goats would better suited? Goats, especially boer goats seem to be growing in popularity here in the US.

CPL":1tmuea05 said:
With only six acres, maybe sheep or goats would better suited? Goats, especially boer goats seem to be growing in popularity here in the US.

So do you think 6 acres is too small, even for a very small herd of miniatures?

I'm in central CA. Your best bet around here is Angus and it's also the easiest to buy if you want quality cows. Charolais would be a close second but can be a little snorty. Both have good sale value around here. Herefords are nice and quiet but they won't sell well around here except to cross on Angus cows. Miniatures won't sell here unless you can find someone that wants them as a novelty.
As far as six acres is concerned: It depends entirely on what grass you've got. My irrigated patures will hold up to one pair to the acre easily if I feed a little hay early December up through about mid- February. But, my native grass will only run eleven acres to the head.
So, if you have good irrrigated summer feed, you should be just fine with five or six momma cows and if you go with four cows you may not have to winter feed.
If you have native pasture that is dry six months out of the year, cattle may not be for you. ;-)

I don't think you can beat Angus for their easy calving. I don't think you will get many more if any miniatures on your block and with Angus you have a very saleable product.
Ken

With a small block you have fewer options in drought conditions so trade steers may be a better option, though you don't get to have your own cute calves.
Ken

angusdave63":342jpnmy said:
not sure where your located but jovid on here has red polls and in a lot of ways they are very similar to the other english breeds i bought a my first red poll bull this spring and he is as quiet as any bull i have ever owned David

Red Polls would be my choice..... :nod:

kenny thomas":2oomsxsm said:
CPLReed":2oomsxsm said:
lynnmcmahan":2oomsxsm said:
Have you given thought to renting land CLOSE BY?
I think it would cost too much to rent and take a lot out of my profits
With 6 acres I really doubt there will be any profit to worry about. Just a hobby.
i dont know,, theres a man down the road got about 15 head on 7 acres.. buys every drop of hay and feed. and claims he's making money
:cowboy:

nope,,, he's got a chevrolet van to carry his about 7 to 8 kids.... a feller brings him hay and drops it off he and his kids rolls a bale up on a trailer drive out in the pasture and shoves it off .. this was a great little place i rented a few years ago to develope heifers or keep my horses

6 acres? A few nurse cows would make money. Get yourself some gentle ones. Dump the calves at weaning. Can't think of much else to earn some nickels with.

TexasBred":jcmwbteh said:
Bammy does he own a "one ton" with a spear on the back? Amazing how fast they can snatch hay.

I may have to look into one of those. :cowboy:

3waycross":1ybcqxlz said:
TexasBred":1ybcqxlz said:
Bammy does he own a "one ton" with a spear on the back? Amazing how fast they can snatch hay.

I may have to look into one of those. :cowboy:
:lol2: :lol2: Better just keep a close eye on your hay stack. You start seeing a bale missin' every morning start looking for a one ton with a hay spear on rear.

:welcome: from the Sierra Foothills of CA

...for profitability, Angus is a predominant breed in CA -- that being said, a nice cross of a Beefmaster Bull on Angus females (or the other way around with Angus bull on Beefmaster females) makes a fantastic calf!

With 6 acres you will be limited (unless you want to buy feed & hay)... I always recommend to people to start with 2 steers at weaning weight... raise 'em up to the correct processing age and then see if you want to take on the fun of raising cattle. Some folks don't want to do it again - but hey, you have a freezer full of beef to show for it!

Good luck and let us know how it goes and if you have more questions.

Latest posts