beef quality gonna suffer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a guy in my office yesterday telling me that cattlemen here (Central MO) ought to start putting 1/4 ear in their herds as the climate is changing. He's a beefmaster breeder and his only goal was to try and sell me a bull though.

Sounds like the lib-tards getting into the beef industry. I think some one is jumping the gun on getting beefmasters so far north. Also beef quality suffer? Explain please. I can argue heat tolerant animals in the north is not good, but can also argue colder climate animals in the south suffer from the heat.

i think its to early to panic,, folks are gonna make adjustment they may regret in the longrun as far as their cattle go.. we liked a nat ass, being in a drought this year.. and might be in one next year, are it could be a wet one.. when you see folks trying to gnaw on a steak like a rawhide chew toy, thats when we're in real trouble... edit but i guess to, if the cattle their currently running is stressed from it... quality will still suffer....

not all feed efficient, hardy cattle are tough to chew.

Two of the hardiest british breeds will forage almost anything, and have some of the highest quality carcasses you can get. Some are extremely more heat tolerant than most people tend to believe also...

well the biggest thing im talking is, the stress from changing enviroments using afican genetics in the north.. we could adjust the brahman percentage here with out much problem... but one good blizzard, and you'd have tales like the old west cattle drives to talk about..

ALACOWMAN":1cf0o83p said:
well the biggest thing im talking is, the stress from changing enviroments using afican genetics in the north.. we could adjust the brahman percentage here with out much problem... but one good blizzard, and you'd have tales like the old west cattle drives to talk about..

I agree, it would be setting up a wreck

Beef quality does not have to drop with the use of eared breeds. There are family lines in Gerts, Beefmasters, Brangus and even Brahmans that have the ability to grade choice and also have the tenderness gene. Some breeders in these breeds are working to identify cattle that have the carcass traits to go along with the traits that made them work in the hot ,humid south.

Galloway2":8ot3ji3j said:
not all feed efficient, hardy cattle are tough to chew.

Two of the hardiest british breeds will forage almost anything, and have some of the highest quality carcasses you can get. Some are extremely more heat tolerant than most people tend to believe also...

I guess you are referring to Red Polls..... :D :D :D

J&D Cattle":1mqitbym said:
Had a guy in my office yesterday telling me that cattlemen here (Central MO) ought to start putting 1/4 ear in their herds as the climate is changing. He's a beefmaster breeder and his only goal was to try and sell me a bull though.
Reminds me of the story(true) that a friend told. The pig market was horrible and no one was making any money so the pig farmers got together. It was a community meeting and all the guys decided that the only real cure was they wouldn't save any gilts for a year. Everyone was for it and happy as they were solving their problem.
The meeting adjourned and the one old pig farmer left with his son and leaned over to his son and said " Ya know Nick I think this would be the time to save back a few extra gilts"

user1":3o3mdtms said:
Reminds me of the story(true) that a friend told. The pig market was horrible and no one was making any money so the pig farmers got together. It was a community meeting and all the guys decided that the only real cure was they wouldn't save any gilts for a year. Everyone was for it and happy as they were solving their problem.
The meeting adjourned and the one old pig farmer left with his son and leaned over to his son and said " Ya know Nick I think this would be the time to save back a few extra gilts"
:lol: He must have learned that trick from a dairyman. I see stuff like that all the time.

Where beef quality is going to suffer (in the short run) is a lot of these cattle are going to go on feed lighter because the backgrounders and the stockers don't have grass because of the drought. Heck a lot of them are coming off the cow earlier and lighter because the cow-calf operations are running out of grass. So they are going to have to be on feed longer just as corn prices is setting a new record. The question for the folks owning cattle in the feedlots is: how high does the Choice Select spread have to be to justify keeping those fat cattle in the lot to go from Select to Choice avg. I know some calculators are already seeing some action on that question.

Latest posts