Beef Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl08

Reaction score
Just curious as to what everyone thinks is the perfect beef breed. We're pretty happy with a beefmaster mix.

You just asked an age old question that will never EVER have an answer, because everyone is going to have a different opinion. My personal opinion is Black Angus and Charolais.

cowgirl08":2ptjj5ho said:
Just curious as to what everyone thinks is the perfect beef breed. We're pretty happy with a beefmaster mix.

The breed that worked the best for us for a quite a number of years was Murray Grey, but that does not mean they would work as well for the next person. The 'perfect' breed is the one that fits the goals, management style, program, and produces the expected results of a particular producer - and all of those things will vary widely from producer to producer.

oh i knew i wouldn't get an answer that explained the perfect breed selection. there's so many variables and go into beef raising. i was just wandering everybody's opinions. we've gotten pretty far away from a specific breed, but we like to keep beefmaster in the mix :)

Perfect breed????
like others have mentioned there isn't one, or at least not one to fit everyone. The cattle industry covers too much of the country and too many different environments, not to mention there too many of us hard headed producers out there that think their breed is the one that every body should be producing.
I am a firm believer that diversity is needed in the cattle industry to keep us going.
We are not the swine or poultry industry, nor will we ever be, so the need for one breed isn't out there.

just to throw one out there with out hopefully to much flack. most will agree that the standard ol' black baldie moma is hard to beat. although not a breed till a couple year's ago :cboy:

50 % british ( a mix of angus, hereford, galloway or red poll)

50 % continental ( I prefer charolais then simmental)

and NO, I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was.

I realize that's not a particular breed but one breed can't do it all (unless of course its angus....jk folks!!)

You have to raise what fits in your environment and your management. No need to have high milk production if you don't have the grass to back it up, but you need the maximum milk for raising a nice calf (pound wise) that your grass will allow.

Mongoose":p6jqqazb said:
You just asked an age old question that will never EVER have an answer, because everyone is going to have a different opinion. My personal opinion is Black Angus and Charolais.

I agree

No breed is simply the best answer. No breed will outperform EVERY other breed in EVERY other environment.

For my area (NE TX), I think the beefmaster works well. There's a market for the females and a market for the good registered bulls. Commercial cattlemen can cross some bos taurus bull on them and meet the feedlot demands for % ear (don't get that argument started).

I think there should be a line in the far northern U.S. Above that line, people should consider bos taurus. There should be another line at the far southern area of the U.S. Below that area, people should strongly consider at least 1/2 bos indicus. Everyone in between should strongly consider some percentage bos indicus. All I'm really saying is that it may be easier to have success keeping animals in an environment for which they are adapted. Having said that, any animal put in an environment for long enough will likely adapt to their new environment to preserve themselves and survive.

My thoughts,

EC

Oh, I was speaking to a beefmaster breeder not too long ago that had some information about the natural environment and where bos taurus and bos indicus were originally developed according to weather environment.

I don't have the numbers or reference material. But from this I base my thoughts.

EC

Latest posts