Bad News For All Of Us!

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Wednesday, Oct 31, 2007 - 04:22 PM

You could avoid cancer by the decisions you make. That's according to what researchers are calling a "landmark study." It says body fat is strongly linked to six types of cancer and that it is a stronger factor than family history. Researchers say even small amounts of excess body fat, especially at the waist, increase risk of colon, prostate and breast cancer and others. Avoiding weight gain is the study's first recommendation for avoiding the disease. That means drastically limiting foods high in sugar and fat. It suggests limiting red meat to an ounce and a half a day and says there is no safe amount of processed meats like bacon, ham and lunch meat.

To look at the full report from the american institute of cancer research, click here http://www.dietandcancerreport.org

MikeC":3vepm1qg said:
It suggests limiting red meat to an ounce and a half a day and says there is no safe amount of processed meats like bacon, ham and lunch meat.

That is funny because I know people that eat a TON of meat and are skinny as a rail, but then there are those who avoid it and are practically a balloon.

A meal without meat is like.................... Well it aint like eating, that's for sure.

IL Rancher":nzep3rzx said:
High Fructose Corn Syrup has more to do with any extra gut I have than any beef or other meat I eat... be nice refined sugars and me with a sweet tooth.

You are exactly right on this one..

And as my dear old uncle (rest his soul) told the doctor one time he was in for a checkup. "I eat red meat every single day of my life, and I aint gonna change now" He could also sit down and eat a whole pie by himself. He worked hard though, had a dairy with 30 cows, 550 acres of soy beans, alfalfa, huge family garden, and was a driller during the day. He died at the age of 92.

my grandmother lived till 99 1/2 and all she ever ate was red meat, potatoes, rice, bread and coffee. Never used a drop of alcohol and never smoked.

I personally don't see the point of being the most healthy person in the graveyard

When I posted this article I really didn't know it would get into discussions about which diet is best.

I think the main thing is the perceptions that this study will do for beef demand and the repercussions thereof...........

MikeC":2z3sq7if said:
When I posted this article I really didn't know it would get into discussions about which diet is best.

I think the main thing is the perceptions that this study will do for beef demand and the repercussions thereof...........

If the repurcussions are typical it may have a small affect for a short period of time then it will be forgotten. peta and related groups will jump on it then it will fade just like all the other reports of the same type

Just got this in a drovers alert:
NCBA statement on cancer report
By Drovers news source (Thursday, November 01, 2007)

"The WCRF/AICR recommendations about red meat and cancer are unsubstantiated and offer bad advice for consumers. There are volumes of research about the benefits of red meat in a healthy diet that far outweigh anything we've seen today.

"There is no evidence red meat causes cancer, according to a recent "Assessment of Red Meat and Cancer" by independent scientists. The comprehensive review evaluated every available epidemiological study on red meat and six types of cancer and concluded there was no causal link. How the WCRF review could come to a different conclusion is perplexing.

"At a time when Americans are overfed and undernourished, the report's recommendations are especially disturbing as they are based on weak and inconsistent data.

"Lean beef can be an important part of the solution to the nation's weight problem because the protein in lean beef helps control appetite and build muscle mass, which is essential to maintaining a healthy weight.

"Beef is the number one source of protein in the diet, which is a fundamental building block to muscle development. In addition, the other nutrients in lean beef – such as iron, zinc and B-vitamins – play a critical role in health by preventing anemia, promoting cognitive function, and building a healthy immune system.

"The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, as well as long-standing recommendations from leading health organizations, continue to recommend lean, nutrient-rich meat as part of a healthy lifestyle. Dietary Guidelines and MyPyramid recommend adults eat 5.5 ounces of lean protein each day, and, on average, Americans are consuming 2.3 ounces of red meat each day which is well within these guidelines.

"When considering cancer risk, it's important to look at what the science actually says: don't smoke, use alcohol responsibly, be physically active, maintain a healthy weight and follow a diet consistent with the Dietary Guidelines which includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lowfat dairy products and lean meats.

"As a mother and a dietitian, I can tell you there is simply nothing in this report that should change how people enjoy nutrient-rich beef as part of a healthy, balanced diet."

dun":3re4dc58 said:
MikeC":3re4dc58 said:

If the repurcussions are typical it may have a small affect for a short period of time then it will be forgotten. peta and related groups will jump on it then it will fade just like all the other reports of the same type

I hope you're right. But Doctors are the ones that this study has targeted.

We need to have them on our side.

MikeC":39btg97w said:
dun":39btg97w said:
MikeC":39btg97w said:

Docs have been pushing quiting smoking for years, how much affect do you think they've really had?

dun":346ygmv6 said:
MikeC":346ygmv6 said:
dun":346ygmv6 said:
MikeC":346ygmv6 said:

Docs have been pushing quiting smoking for years, how much affect do you think they've really had?

I think some for sure. Especially when they tell you flat out that something is killing you.

But that's a moot point.

Every borderline diabetic I know is following Drs. advice on diets. When the whole family starts eating like the Dr. orders..... it becomes a way of life.

dun":diutnmpo said:
MikeC":diutnmpo said:
dun":diutnmpo said:
MikeC":diutnmpo said:

Docs have been pushing quiting smoking for years
  • , how much affect do you think they've really had?
not much..when you see folks smoke'in pushing a oxygen tank around. or puffin one through a hole in their neck

CPL":3aq7uqk3 said:
That is funny because I know people that eat a TON of meat and are skinny as a rail

You talking about me? :lol: :lol:

Funny thing is, according to the charts, I am about 5 lbs heavy for my age, height, and wrist size. All fat folks refer to me as "skinny". I eat like a horse. They talk about how much I eat every day at dinner time at work.

Study is pretty short sighted but the overall move to modify the food chain is going to be a major change in the future. The chemical soup that we all live in has had an effect on health.My wife teaches and there are an abundance of autistic kids in the schools and suspected causes are the vaccinations they got as infants.

The trick will be to get rid of all the additives to the foods and also the packaging which lately seems the most damaging with unregulated chemicals leaching into the products.

I live in liberal land and these customers are getting a lot more selective in what they will buy but on the flip side they will spend stupid money for " natural / organic". They want to know where the cow lived , what it ate , it's religious preference....

Hormel has come out with all natural deli meats with no nitrates and they are really good. Try them sometime.

CKC1586":2gholfio said:
May cause folks to think about taking a closer look at the Piedmontese and what they can offer in the form of healthy beef...

These Dr reports have been helping the LH industry for a while now. There are some heart patients allowed to eat LHs and nothing else.

Latest posts