Bad News For All Of Us!

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":9a0lgw3x said:
CKC1586":9a0lgw3x said:
May cause folks to think about taking a closer look at the Piedmontese and what they can offer in the form of healthy beef...

These Dr reports have been helping the LH industry for a while now. There are some heart patients allowed to eat LHs and nothing else.

Yup! I hear you.

Sorry guys, the report I saw didn't differentiate between Angus beef and Longhorn or Piedmontese beef. It simply said not to eat much red meat.

Another group of researchers, though, points out that the percentage of cancer cases has gone down over the last few years. Of course, survival rates are up, but if the number of people getting cancer is down and the consumption of red meat seems to have been going up the last few years, I don't see how they came to this conclusion.

Everyone says stopping smoking will decrease cancer rates by over 30%.

Frankie":3uyaabwx said:
Sorry guys, the report I saw didn't
  • differentiate between Angus beef and Longhorn or Piedmontese beef. It simply said not to eat much red meat.

Another group of researchers, though, points out that the percentage of cancer cases has gone down over the last few years. Of course, survival rates are up, but if the number of people getting cancer is down and the consumption of red meat seems to have been going up the last few years, I don't see how they came to this conclusion.

Everyone says stopping smoking will decrease cancer rates by over 30%.
but what about the meat that has those white flecks in em :p

Topkick":1yx703kh said:
CKC1586":1yx703kh said:
May cause folks to think about taking a closer look at the Piedmontese and what they can offer in the form of healthy beef...

I have done a lot of reading about the piedmontese AND IF WHAT I HAVE READ IS TRUE there could be a shaking up coming to the beef industry. It is probably one of the best hidden secrets about beef that there is.
seems like i done heeard that afore :p

Why not just take a Black Angus Steer and put him on a diet a while. He'll get skinny, stringy get nice and lean same as other underfed cattle. ;-)

mnmtranching":vtmbwiqh said:
Why not just take a Black Angus Steer and put him on a diet a while. He'll get skinny, stringy get nice and lean same as other underfed cattle. ;-)

Yeah, it's kind of funny for people to suggest that Angus can't grade Select or be "lean."

Here is an article I got in a newsletter today:

New Cancer Report Says Limit Red & Processed Meat; Industry Disagrees
CattleNetwork_Today 10/31/2007 1:43:00 PM

New Cancer Report Says Limit Red & Processed Meat; Industry Disagrees

A new report by the World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research suggests limiting intake of red meat and avoiding processed meat as one of ten recommendations to reduce cancer risk.

The report, which updates the group's 1997 findings and reviewed over 7,000 studies, said it found that both red meat (defined as beef, pork, lamb and goat) and processed meat (defined as meat preserved by smoking, curing or salting or chemical preservatives) increased risk of colorectal cancer if eaten in large quantities.

It cautioned people who eat red meat to consume less than 500 grams (18 ounces) of cooked red meat a week and that they consume "very little, if any" processed meat, such as bacon, ham, sausage and lunchmeat.

"The panel emphasizes that this overall recommendation is not for diets containing no red meat or diets containing no foods of animal origin," the report said, noting that meat can be a valuable source of protein, iron, zinc and vitamin B12.

"An integrated approach to the evidence also shows that many foods of animal origin are nourishing and healthy if consumed in modest amounts," it said.

The report pointed to excess body fat as a major cancer risk and noted that, "diets with high levels of animal fats are often relatively high in energy, increasing the risk of weight gain." It linked excess body fat to cancers of the esophagus, pancreas, colon and rectum, endometrium and kidney, along with breast cancer in post-menopausal women.

To view the entire report, click here.

Industry response

The American Meat Institute (AMI) said the study's meat intake recommendations, "reflect WCRF's well-known anti-meat bias and should be met with skepticism because they oversimplify the complex issue of cancer, are not supported by the data and defy common sense."

"Given the complexities and conflicting research findings, it is inconceivable that WCRF could draw definitive conclusions and make such precise recommendations about specific food categories," said AMI Foundation Vice President of Scientific Affairs Randy Huffman, noting the causes of cancer involve factors like genetics, the environment, lifestyle and a host of other issues.

AMI also disputed the report's recommendations on processed meats. "Our own systematic review of the literature by independent epidemiologists has documented that 15 of 16 comparisons regarding processed meat and colorectal cancer were not statistically significant," said Huffman.

Harvard data

Huffman also questioned why WCRF didn't take into account a 2004 Harvard School of Public Health analysis that concluded that red meat and processed meat were not associated with colon cancer.

He said the Harvard study, involving 725,000 men and women, was presented at the 2004 American Association for Cancer Research Conference in abstract form but never has been published in its entirety.

Huffman called the Harvard paper, Meat and fat intake and colorectal cancer risk: A pooled analysis of 14 prospective studies, the largest study ever done on red meat and colon cancer. He said lawmakers are now asking Harvard why the study has not been published, given its completion three years ago and its federal funding.

Source: Janie Gabbett on 10/31/2007 for Meatingplace.com

NO they can not.The only difference they can really tell is grass finished, corn finished and barley finished.

I think it's funny how the same post is on Ranchers and the posts are about beef and refined carbs,and on here it is breeds of beef that are better.BTW fat does not make you fat.

ALACOWMAN":oahqo6lo said:
Topkick":oahqo6lo said:
CKC1586":oahqo6lo said:

I have done a lot of reading about the piedmontese AND IF WHAT I HAVE READ IS TRUE there could be a shaking up coming to the beef industry. It is probably one of the best hidden secrets about beef that there is.
seems like i done heeard that afore :p

If we could get the word out and get past the black prejudices, I think folks would be surprised at just what the breed can offer. It is possible to have lean, juicy and tender beef. The Piedmontese are low fat low cholesterol and studies show that a portion of Piedmontese is comparable to salmon and chicken breast in fat and calories. MARC did an extensive study on the breed.

I can see how this might effect the beef industry on the short term, but if you were like me, I was raised on meat and potatoes. Nothing I like more than a thick juicy steak fire seared and just done. I think doctors are coming up with some of this nonsense to try to sell pills. Just look at all of the t.v. ads for pills for things I've never even heard of people getting before. My fav is for shaky legs or some such thing. It's where when you go to bed at night you have the uncontrolable urge to move your legs. Oh, brother. If I could eat just red meat for every meal, I would be a carnivore and I would LOVE it! The raising of red meat took a change many years ago to a leaner product so the red meat we are consuming today is better for you than what our grandparents ate and look at how long they have lived.

I have read all the post on this subject and i will have to go with post Knersie used. Don`t see the point of being the most healthy one in the graveyard .
Now that is cool.

blk mule

Latest posts