back from a short nebraska tour

Help Support CattleToday:

dph

Reaction score
We just got back from a very short two day tour in north central Nebraska. I wanted to visit a couple of people there and we were glad we did. The first stop was the William Zutavern Cattle Co. in Dunning.

They have a commercial angus herd, but you wouldn't know it by going to a Summitcrest sale in Broken Bow. They will buy some of the top bulls away from other Angus Breeders, and they will buy in quality and quantity. We looked at their first calf heifers, second calf heifers, and the heifers they bred for next year. They will breed about 800 heifers a year, after culling the bottom 1/3 to bottom 1/2. Of the 800 they basically gate cut and keep 400 selling the other 400. This is to build and maintain their reputation for quality cattle. They AI these cattle to their bulls of choice, then turn them out with clean up bulls for 55 days. Their clean up bulls are superior (in price and quality) to almost anyones herd sires. The bred heifers we saw would rival a set of bred heifers from virtually any breeding program. (A comment we originally herd from others who had viewed their cattle) Additionally, they were the original owners of Summitcrest High Prime, a bull finding its way in to many breeders pedigrees. We found Mr. Zutavern to be a heck of a good guy, very generous with his time, very sound in his advice, which was more than I could list here. I would encourage anyone to look him up, it would be time well spent, and a special treat to see his cattle, or purchase them.

Our second stop was in Ainsworth, to visit with Bob Sears of the Ainsworth Feed Yard. It was Mr. Sears, whom by all accounts, pioneered the use of GeneStar here in the US, and continues to work with it hoping to get an eventual premium for calves that have the specific, identifiable genes that will guarantee their performance for a given trait. He also help pioneer other work, such as the supplementation of Vitamin E to improve the color of cut meat, and feeds his cattle three times a day to boost gain. Additionally he has started an Angus purebred and commercial herd focusing on introducing and concentrating the genes identified using GeneStar. Mr. Sears had some interesting comments on where he sees the cattle industry heading in the future. He wants to see Animal ID as a feedyard operator so he can trace a group of calves back to the owner and hopefully the breeder(s) he purchased bulls from, giving him a better understanding of how a given set of calves will perform for him. He is at the forefront of what is possible in the industry.

Besides seeing some great cattle, we got to see some great country. Proving there is no truth at all to the quote attributed to Custer's scout:
"General Custer, I have got some good news and some bad news." Custer replied, "I am a hardened soldier, and can take whatever you have to tell me, tell me the bad news first." "Well," the scout said "across the river, over in those trees, are so many Indians we will never make it out of here alive." "What could possibly be the good news?" Custer asked. "Well," the scout replied "the way I figure it, we won't have to ride back across Nebraska."

Would like to hear more about Zutavern Cattle Co. !!. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as it sounds like you did.

A "clean up" bull for Zutavern, based on the sales we have attened, will be around $5500. He told us heifers that were AI, (they ultrasound twice and manualy preg check once) will bring around $100/ head over the ones naturally bred. With the exception of bulls for use of heifers, they don't pay attention to birthweight, scrotal, or pelvic. He thinks there is too much a premium associated with low birth weight cattle, and says in the beginning they were simply inferior angus bulls, although he has no trouble menitoning several sires today that can infact, do it all. He doesn't buy scrotal is linked to fertility, and mentions long horn cattle as an example. He went ahead and took some pelvic measurements when they ultrasounded heifers, but kept everything regardless. He says he found after a couple of years a heifer with a small pelvis had a small calf and a heifer with a large pelvis had a big one. He didn't believe it payed and quit using it. He took measurements on the heifers he sold, but no one ever asked for them. Unsure if he still does or not. He doesn't pamper them, they have to be able to survive where he is located.

I asked him what he looked for in a bull and he said "Confirmation." He doesn't believe in chasing the latest fad, and criticized the first carcass bulls for looking like greyhounds. I think one out of 80 some calves he first had out of High Prime failed to make CAB. He told us how many cows he had, but mentioned that if anyone ever asked he would only say "Just enough to eat the grass," and then when they asked how much land he would reply, "Just enough to feed the cows." Some years he retains ownership, some years he lets someone else feed them. Summitcrest is trying to get him to sell his comercial heifers at their new early December 2 year old bull sale. If he does, it will be broadcast on Superior. Otherwise he sells in Lexington, Nebraska sometime in November, I think. Another party told us the last time he sold his comercial heifers along side some of Summitcrest's, his outsold theirs. My father and I could have visited with him all day if we didn't have to make it up to Ainsworth.

We wanted to stop by and see Summitcrest's ranch north of Broken Bow, but just didn't have enough time to do it. We have been there to buy bulls, but never really taken a "tour." Dad has bought bulls off them since 1974, before I was born, but usually we go to the sale in Freemont, Iowa.

that just goes to show you the herds the buy the best bulls they can.$4000 is med proce for high powered reg bulls.most all the big commercal cowherd bull buyers buy the best.an after a whilr all of their herd comes from high powered bulls .an they are almost like reg cattle.scott

We don't mind getting into that 4-5 range for the right calf, but they had bought eight bulls when we left the sale in Broken Bow and were averaging, $8/head. If they start bidding on a calf, you just might as well as put your hand down. :D

Latest posts