australian cattle dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

sebrondjr

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody out there with cattle have had experience with the wonderful blue/red heelers. I'm kind of sick and tired of people who get these dogs and expect them to act like labs or golden ret.'s (which I think both are great -- as an "armchair dog" or for duck hunting.) I would like to hear some brags. I think ACD's are the bomb. BTW, I have one red and one blue. They are the best (out of about 11) dogs I have owned.

Funny you should ask:
About two years ago we went to load up some rather spirited (wild) cattle for a neighbor and one of our buddies brought his dog (an Aussie). We were all standing around in a circle making plans when this one guy says " I wish you hadn't brought that dog - I hate him and he hates me."
So all the while, the Aussie is walking around us kind of sniffing and checking everyone out. About the time the comment was made the Aussie goes over to this guy and hikes his leg and wets on this guys boot !!!!

You've never heard so much laughing - I swear I believe that dog understood every word that guy said.
This is the absolute truth - if I hadn't been there, I'd have trouble believing it myself.

I have had both blue and red in the past. If given the chance I will have another. IMO the best cattle dog in the biz. They are a natural with cows. The only thing you really have to teach em is to come off, otherwise they'll run till they die.

We raised blue ACD's for several years. I will say that they are good dogs, in some situations, but you really need to watch the dispostion in some. We finally quit raising them because the lines we were using were getting to aggressive with people.

We switched to Border Collies and wouldn't have any other breed at this point. Smarts, dedication and instinct that I haven't seen in alot of other breeds.

I've got a blue, Jade, she just turned a year old on March 27. She's a great dog, real smart, still learning on working with the cows, but thats coming along. I think in a year or so I might get another dog, it'll be a red.

I've got a red one that I wouldn't take a million for! I'll never own another breed of dog other than ACD. She just turned 6 yrs old in February and over the past weekend my Aussie Shepperd died (she was 15 yrs old) my ACD has been around her since she was 6 weeks old. She seems to be mourning all she wants to do is mope around looks like it's time to get another ACD.

We have owned an ACD for over 30 years. We're on our 3rd one now. He's 9 years old - Stetson.
Here's a pic of him & his new buddy, a Miniature Schnauzer
Razz__Stetson.jpg

They are an awesome breed - generally TOO smart for most owners. Each dog has been better than the one before, but I think that's because we have become better trainers. You don't train them to WORK cattle, you train them obedience to control their working cattle.
I have NEVER had one "work" cattle without us asking him to. This dog workes them without any barking - unless a momma cow fights him, than he will bark while working to get her turned. If the herd gets running & turns the wrong way, he will actually run ahead of them & turn them back, he's great!
Bullbuyer referred to an "Aussie" - that is usually the term used for an Australian Shephard - a totally different breed.
The breed was developed using the wild dingo dogs, so they are a "pack" dog - and your family is their pack - and they generally are very protective of their "pack". Right from day one, we did not allow this dog to show any aggression - therefore he does not PROTECT at all. But, with all our traveling to shows & sales, we don't have to worry about anyone (including little kids that parents don't control). MANY people have said they wish their kids behaved as well as our dogs.
Great dogs!! :heart:

I would agree about the Border Collies as herding dogs, only problem with them is they get bored too easily. I've heard of owners going out and finding their dog working cattle just out of sheer boredom. I like regular Collies over any other breed you can name, granted my dogs are more companion than "hired man", but we had an old Collie a few years ago that knew more about his business of herding than probably 90% of us on this board!! :)

ENNOT":1d9kefic said:
We raised blue ACD's for several years. I will say that they are good dogs, in some situations, but you really need to watch the dispostion in some. We finally quit raising them because the lines we were using were getting to aggressive with people.

We switched to Border Collies and wouldn't have any other breed at this point. Smarts, dedication and instinct that I haven't seen in alot of other breeds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1oq213mi said:
We have owned an ACD for over 30 years. We're on our 3rd one now. He's 9 years old - Stetson.
Here's a pic of him & his new buddy, a Miniature Schnauzer
Razz__Stetson.jpg

They are an awesome breed - generally TOO smart for most owners. Each dog has been better than the one before, but I think that's because we have become better trainers. You don't train them to WORK cattle, you train them obedience to control their working cattle.
I have NEVER had one "work" cattle without us asking him to. This dog workes them without any barking - unless a momma cow fights him, than he will bark while working to get her turned. If the herd gets running & turns the wrong way, he will actually run ahead of them & turn them back, he's great!
Bullbuyer referred to an "Aussie" - that is usually the term used for an Australian Shephard - a totally different breed.
The breed was developed using the wild dingo dogs, so they are a "pack" dog - and your family is their pack - and they generally are very protective of their "pack". Right from day one, we did not allow this dog to show any aggression - therefore he does not PROTECT at all. But, with all our traveling to shows & sales, we don't have to worry about anyone (including little kids that parents don't control). MANY people have said they wish their kids behaved as well as our dogs.
Great dogs!! :heart:

Hi Jeanne: Do they chase cars? I had an Aussie/border collie cross that was a super cattle and sheep dog and she died at the age of 9 while chasing a car. :( :( I haven't had one since, but these heelers sound interesting. :) Mac.

I've got a heeler/border cross. I think a mix of the two is about the best you can get, brains, speed, loyalty, very quick learners, get the best of both breeds! Though they can get bored if theres nothing to do.
Now when I see other breeds not being Aussie, Heeler, or BC I look at them and they have this -duh- look on their face, these herders just seem sharper lol :lol:

This is mine. You can tell hes got a bit of both in him

asher9.jpg

asher10.jpg

i have a blue heeler and she is such a great dog that i will never give her up. i love her personality, she just cracks me up!!! she is 2 years old in may and has had a litter of pups last year. she had great mothering skills for a first timer, but come to find out it is hard to sell heeler pups. they are such good dogs i dont know why nobody would buy them... i think heelers are the best and that is my #1 breed...[/img]

I grew up with Border Collies but now have a Blue Heeler, and wife has an Aussie, both are in the pic below. They are both very intelligent, but also very bull-headed. I tried the heeler on cows a few times but she got mouthy and when she was keyed up she wouldn't listen. I'm not keen on dogs around cattle anyways so I nixed that idea. My next dog will be another border collie, mine have been very intelligent, and a bit more reserved than the heelers.
Img_0111.jpg

[/img]

I thank all of you for your comments. I have never owned a border collie, but in my VAST (and I mean vast) experience with dogs, border collies are very much natural herders, but they do it in a very neurotic fashion. Border collies are beautiful, faithful hard-workin' dogs. So don't get me wrong. Seems ANY border collie will herd, no matter what. With heelers, they are so smart, or hard headed, that you have to convince them of "what's in it for me", with BC's you don't have to do do that. they are "please, please please, let me make 'em stand in a group"...

Anyhoo, got to go feed my heelers...GREAT cow pictures, lately!

KMacGinley - no mine have NEVER chased cars. But, they were never ALLOWED to. We are very strict with our dogs. Heelers need DISCIPLINE - DISCIPLINE!!
We have a HUGE front yard, and the dogs are not allowed to cross the ditch to the road. NEVER, unless they are "on heel" or on a lead.
If some of you think heelers are hard headed - you ought to have a Min Schnauzer :shock: Everything has to be HIS way or no way. Tough little buggers - thinks they weight 200#.

I have 6 of them, my oldest male being 11 years old who is a great working cattle dog.I think the world of these dogs and the natural ability that they have if you have them bred the right way to do what you want with them.They are a very loyal dog that will work till you make them quit.One downside to the ACD is they can be very hardheaded at times if they choose to be.But I am very satisfied with my dogs and the comments and the pups that I have gotten out of my dogs.

I too have a blue heeler and I have never met a more determined animal. I don't use him to run my cattle but just my best friend and that he is. I let the sweet feed do the running when I need to catch'em. And ole Sounder gets in the rear while they are coming to feed and he thinks he is doing something :lol: . But he is so very hard headed. But he does get his feelings hurt when I say "NO" :( . He will walk off like a pouting woman. And he is aggresive to strangers but have never taught him to do that. He has put several people back in their vehicle until I come around the corner and then he is fine. But I like that too because we are way out in the country and with all the criminals in todays world you never know who is coming down the driveway. Guarantee'd you want put your hands on me when Sounder is around and get away with it.

For our working dogs we have a Kelpie, a border collie/kelpie and two border collies. We find the Kelpies are the most sensible easy to control dogs. Have had blue cattle dogs but they can be savage at times and will bite. They make an excellent team with a kelpie. I agree Border Collies do seem to get bored but nonetheless they are good dogs.
Blue dogs do make good country pets,they are very loyal. Thats my two cents worth.

I had a Blue Heeler/Shorthaired Pointer cross. Beautiful dog. Easy to train. Smart as a whip. I am pretty sure that the neighbor's roofers stole her after asking me several questions about her one day. That's what I get for bragging. Broke my son's heart. :(

Does anybody work any catahoulas? We have a heeler/catahoula cross but she's just a pet. She's really slowed down and gotten fat after a cow stomped her and broke her leg 3 years ago.

Latest posts