Anyone using 100% AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":awrfmzm6 said:
Your frustration with open cows will be multiplied as you put so much work in that it's more than just an open cow that you're losing but once those go away it's pretty rewarding.

Obviously many diaries are 100% AI, but they seem to expect to have a short cow life.

What percentage of your beef cows went away with all AI ?

Stocker Steve":rwabo0n6 said:
cow pollinater":rwabo0n6 said:
Your frustration with open cows will be multiplied as you put so much work in that it's more than just an open cow that you're losing but once those go away it's pretty rewarding.

Obviously many diaries are 100% AI, but they seem to expect to have a short cow life.

What percentage of your beef cows went away with all AI ?

I was about ten percent. It's really about the same as if you were culling cows that bred up late with the bull but you've put alot more effort into them. It's easy to get carried away and breed something four or five times but four times is a 80 day calving season. It's the same cows not breeding up AI as it is with the bull you just notice it alot more because it's YOU out chasing her around every three weeks.

He will come that far I think. He sells semen for two semen companies and has pretty good contacts with in ABS. He was a ABS rep with Big Branch breeders service for a long time. I will hunt up his number and for you. He could also teach the Gate opener how while he is there. I figure it would take him to long to teach AC.

how many head? Are you gonna sync and then check natural heat? It could get time consuming if you have a lot to do the tecs could be making a lot of trips. I breed everything 1 time A I separate the heifers and keep after them, but the bull cleans the cows up that's the only way I can keep from using 2 different type bulls.

I tried 100% AI with the heifers this year. I corralled them, gave them a scratch off patch and a lute shot, bred for about 11 days, gave another lute shot and then bred for about another 21 + days. A little hay was fed during this month long (summer slump) period but the approach was not really a lot of work. If they did not get settle during this month :cowboy: then they go to the locker plant next summer.

We are using 100% AI (7 day sync) on our small,start-up, mainly-Angus herd. 5 of the 7 took the first time. The 6th took on the next try. The 7th we are waiting to see. As newbies, it's nice not to have to worry about a bull, and for our purposes, having access to lots of bulls (via AI) was a plus....

I think it will be great if you can get it done. It would be easier if you were doing your own A Iing If you sync them you will have some that want respond so those are gonna be tweeners. if you get 30 bred first service then the others are gonna come in 19 to 23 days after first service and those will be all through those days. All im saying with this is be sure your techs can be there when you need them.

Latest posts