Anyone using 100% AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":claw8f87 said:
We're going to 100% AI, not a bull on the place. Anyone else doing that?

Thought about doing that when neighbors tried to get me to join them in there venture but all the work involved made me say not interested.

Tried it two years ago after we had a conception rate of like 82% the previous year. Didnt work out so well that year keeping a tight calving season. Needless to say will never try that again.

We're doing it to tighten up,the calving season and not have to have a bull. I'm short pasture in the summer and I'm at the point I have to many for one and not enough for two. Also keeping last years heifers and need two different kinds of bulls. We're set up where it won't be to much work either.

Until a couple of years ago when jealth crap got in the way we had done 100% AI for 30 some years. Only bred on obseerved heat. Wasn;t until we started syncing them that the conception rate dropped. Before that we were running in the high80s low90s for first service and 100% with only one follow up breeding.

We are on board with Dun. We DO NOT use a bull (yet), and have done strictly AI for 6 years now. It will work, but you might lose a few cows you really liked because they do not breed back.

shadyhollownj":188j146w said:
Yeah Dun but your cows just gotta look at the straw and they get bred with your cullin.
Just one more but an important management matter to deal with. That sort of selection hurts at first but after a few years it more then pays for itself.

Clean up bulls are expensive. 2012 $1,800 bull no calves because they all AI 2013 $1,800 bull one calf and sold the pair anyway. 2014 one calf $3,500 bull rest AI longest calving window is 63 days next spring. Cull hard for a couple years retain your fertile heifers and enjoy a bull free life! I still run on as I run cows with few other people but I don't HAVE to have them.

If you have only one or two open cows - - then a yearling bull should be enough.
I think the middle ground is to sync, then AI for several weeks, and finally turn out either a rented or a virgin clean up bull.

First time 100% AI this year.
Seems to be going okay. I expected one cow that I liked to end up open because she was difficult to AI last year, but she was no problem this year, figured if they can't get in calf AI they don't need to be in my herd anyway. I won't know open rates for another couple months (will AI till the end of Dec).
Heat observation on some cows might be an issue but so far all but two have cycled and one of those is a very backwards two year old who is probably producing too much milk and genuinely not cycling.

I do my own AI, wouldn't be keen on getting a technician to go 100% unless for a very short mating interval - during mating the techs visit each of their farms every day, but on a smaller herd there's going to be days with no matings so it either needs very good communication or he's going to waste time and fuel sometimes (even if it's just turning onto the farm on his way to the next). Everything is done on observed heat. I gave up on synching cows a few years back.

I was 100% on my personal cows for a few years before I started running them up in the hills. Your frustration with open cows will be multiplied as you put so much work in that it's more than just an open cow that you're losing but once those go away it's pretty rewarding.
Financially, it's a win. Just in one generation it makes sense. If you factor in retaining the genetics in the herd and making the constant improvement it's a home-run if you can keep with it.

We will be retaining heifers out of the herd, that's another reason to do it. Can breed the cows I want a heifer out of to a bull that has the cow potential. Then it's just up to her to have a heifer, don't think I'm going to do the sexed seamen.

Red Bull Breeder":15jjuslt said:
From what I have seen a vet is about the last person that I would want to be doing my AI work.They just don't get enough practice.
That's been my experiance as well.

Latest posts